“Excellent place tp stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Boat Inn

The Boat Inn
Ranked #5 of 24 Oughterard B&B and Inns
“Excellent place tp stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We had a great Easter weekend fishing on the lough corrib. Fishing was good but to round it all off was our stay in the Boat inn. The rooms were great, the service was excellent and the staff of the boat inn were friendly and courteous. I would highly recommend the Boat inn to my friends. Finbarr and Eddie from Cork

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

If you have a chance to pop by The Boat Inn, do so!
Rory, who runs the place, is a delightful host, who does everything in his power to satisfy his guests.
I went there to celebrate my cousins birthday, and we were a large group, I do believe we rented all the rooms. In advance, the large room had been wonderfully decorated for us, and he had even made sure there was enough white wine for the Norwegian ladies (who did not fancy Guinness all that much).

The rooms were great, and the food was both reasonably priced and delicious. The Inn is also situated right in the middle of everything in Oughterard, and so we were very comfortable.

The Boat Inn was just great in every way it could, but most of all, the service made my stay so wonderful. I had to leave at 05:00 St. Patrick's day morning, and so I asked if I could have the number of a taxi. That I could not, however, Rory made the arrangement, gave med the taxis number, and offered me to change rooms for the five hours I could sleep, so that the noise from the bar would not bother me. This was of course not something he had to do at all, and I was quite amazed that he even thought of it.
I was also offered breakfast, and when I humbly asked for "perhaps a youghurt and an apple?", what met me in the reception av 04:55, was nothing more than two youghurts, a bottle of water, an orange juice and an apple.

Really, this place is the true experience of the very homely, very kind Irish people. Do visit!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Really really good food at very reasonable prices, soup was thick and tasty, wraps were delicious and all fresh and pleasantly served, will definitely be back and highly recommend. Really good coffee to boot.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Abbeyfeale, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Stopped here on a bank holiday Monday for some lunch. My hopes were high because it looked nice. Ample outdoor seating in the sun. The menu was decent enough and reasonable priced. However the customer service left a lot to be desired. Barman didn't even make eye contact when I placed my order and the waitress who came to prepare our table threw the forks knives and napkins down with a scowl. We both had the burger which came with chips, coleslaw and salad. Credit where it's due the burger was delicious but the customer service left a really bad taste in our mouths.

• Stayed April 2014
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stopped off for lunch on our way to Clifden at this lovely place, the service was wonderful, the waitress was so friendly and warm, which is rare these days. The lovely food was very tasty and fresh, spotless premises, I would highly recommend the Boat Inn to family and friends and definitely stop off here again, well done!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed here during the connemarathon. Our room was nice, freshly painted and spacious. We found the staff to be helpful and the hotel manager is a prime example of excellent hospitality. There was music in the bar so we were given a room at the other end of the hotel which was great as two of us were running the next day, however there was still a lot of noise as people go out on the street to smoke. we were allowed a late check out at no extra charge as the Manager was aware we were running in the Marathon this was a lovely touch.

We felt that what seriously let the hotel down was the restaurant, The menu is extremely limited... There is only one Vegetarian Main on the menu and its a pasta and sauce job ( I don't eat pasta) ... so the first night I had a side of veg and a side of chips and the second evening I had the steak with out the steak.... IE everything that comes with the stake and not the steak. The Breakfast Menu was a complete farce..... there is one menu for the public and one for residents... on our second morning, I was VERY RUDELY told I could not order a Omelette as I was staying in the hotel... This was EXTREMELY POOR customer service seeing as the waitress knew id eaten next to nothing since arriving....It was this incident that left an overall bad feeling towards the restaurant. I was willing to forgive the limited menu until this point even though we had emailed them before my arrival to check they could cater for me (they had said they could). I think this incident only occurred as the hotel manager was not present at the time and the waitress was concentrating more on training in a new staff member then delivering quality customer service.

Overall the hotel is nice and the hotel staff are great. as a hotel in this area I would defiantly recommend it but I would advise anyone with dietary requirements to eat else where and would strongly advise anyone who doesn't enjoy public humiliation or being scolded like a child to make sure they pick up the correct in the morning. I really wanted to be able to say I loved this hotel as it is very quaint and Oughterard is a lovely village so I really wanted to be able to write a glowing review. Unfortunately one staff member let down an otherwise outstanding hospitality team. Which is a terrible shame.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the bar are quieter.the Street view is nice but noisey.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cim87
Boat I, Manager at The Boat Inn, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Hi, I am very sorry our vegetarian options on our menu where a disappointment , and this is something i will change right away , we change 80% of our menu to gluten free and our chief does some great veg dishes , but these are not stated on our menus and this is something i will chance and I am very sorry about ,We take great pride in our food and in our workplace at always trying to improve things ,so I will take full note of all you said and will work hard on these areas including more veg options on all menus , and adding on the omelet to the guest b/fast , I am very em barest on your refusal for a omelet for b/fast and have addressed t the matter and can only say how sorry I am , I thank you for your very fare comments and am working on all matter stated , to get us that all important 100% and leaving our guest with a all enjoyable experience of Connemara, I invite you back to the boatinn this summer for a nights B&B and a evening meal ,and really wish you will take us up on this offer, looking forward to hearing from you , kind regards Rory (manger)
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Had lunch here recently, the food was fantastic and excellent value. The staff asked me at least three times if everything was alright with my meal (don't know why cause I thought I looked happy !) the toilets were spotless and even a complimentary newspaper was brought to my table, 4 star quality in a nice country town pub.

Room Tip: Get a seat facing the window and watch a small country town in action as you have your meal
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oughterard
Ross Lake House Hotel
#11 of 24 in Oughterard
Connemara Lake Hotel
Connemara Lake Hotel
#9 of 24 in Oughterard

Been to The Boat Inn? Share your experiences!