“Nice and homely. Livingsocial deal. Well located for Aran Islands.”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Lisdoonvarna
Leinster, Ireland
“Nice and homely. Livingsocial deal. Well located for Aran Islands.”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was a quick two night break in the heart of The Burren, in Co. Clare.

I set off late from Dublin and arrived at around 9pm.

The staff were very helpful and explained that although the dining room had finished evening meals for the night, there was another restaurant down the street - a Chinese. It was fine.

Came back, and a sessiun was in full swing, with a storyteller and irish dancers in the bar. Good craic. There was a lrge group of German tourists in the hotel and they were enjoying it too.

Had a good night's sleep.

Got up early in the morning and had a filling full Irish Breakfast.

I enquired with the reception did a full ferry service operate on Sundays from Doolin to the Aran Islands. They said yes, as this time of year was their busiest season.

They recommended O'Brien's Ferries of Doolin.

So I drove to Doolin, got parked and made my way to the Pier.
Met O'Brien himself! Because I mentioned The Imperial Hotel, I got a concession of €5 off the ferry fare of €20.00 return. Nice.

Ferry was packed, a good sign. We set off at 11.03. The crossing was a little rough as the Atlantic was choppy and a lot of spray, but we got to Inish Oirr island after 50 minutes.

I hired a bike for the day off Rotai Inish Oirr (just up from the harbour) for €10.00 (good value!) and proceeded to cycle the island from end to end.

What a day! And the weather! Sunny, fresh and relaxed. Wonderful!

Had a great day, and even seen The shipwreck ''Rossaveal'' (made famous by the ''Fr. Ted'' television series) up close. Class.

Had a wrap at a an island bar/coffeehouse. Hit the spot.

I will definitely be back to this island. It is lovely. Might even stay in a B&B here next time!

After a full days fun, I landed back at Doolin just after six in the evening - we had to wait 15 or 20 minutes as there was a traffic jam of ferries waiting to take their turn at the berth in Doolin - Doolin Pier can only hold one ferry at a time - Inish Oirr pier can hold three at a time, and two abreast! Extraordinary.

When I got back to Hotel at 7, they were very helpful, and said as my friend couldnt make it, I could have the starter, main course & dessert for free on the Livingsocial voucher, so I got the value of it that I paid! Cool!

I had a lovely holiday, and I would like to come back to Lisdoonvarna again.

Would I recommend here?

Yes, it is excellently located for Aran Islands, The Burren, and more.
Clean, homely and very well trained staff. Thoughtful too - they are good at their jobs.

I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for O Briens ferries to Aran Islands. Hotel sometimes has a special offer with ferry company.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Babsi_Opole, Front Office Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2014
Thank you very much for your review and description of your stay. Looking forward to welcome you again at the Imperial Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Finnish first
Portadown, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

The outside looks fine, well presented and clean. Inside the hotel was similarly clean and well presented. It is however dated and basic throughout. I have to remember that the price we paid to stay here was minimal so as far as value for money this was excellent.
The room was basic but comfortable, free wifi in public areas and a central location.
The food was was not of a low standard but very budget indeed.

I wouldn't stay here again as I have been used to staying in much more expensive hotels. It's great for a budget place to put your head down. I'd rather have paid more to stay somewhere more upmarket but you get pay for and we paid for a budget hotel for 2 nights. The value for money was very good. Just wasn't to my personal preference.

Stayed August 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Recently stayed in this hotel with a coach tour. Do not normally holiday in this way but had an elderly family member with us and felt it would suit her. Having read some of the reviews of this hotel we were not sure what to expect. The outside looks a little tired but reception area was very attractive. The rooms were clean and the beds very comfortable. We had requested a double and a single room and in some hotels this has consisted of little more than a broom cupboard but here it was a full sized double room just across the corridor from our own. I require a special diet and great care was taken to ensure that this was available to me. The food was simple but good quality and plentiful but what makes this hotel stand out is the quality of its staff. Nothing was too much trouble for them and from the first night they made us feel very special. We would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room one the second floor at the front and apart from a little noise the first night it was...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Carol C
Thank you for you review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are always happy to accommodate our guests needs.
West Lothian
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just back from an Urquhart's coach tour, however, very rigid meal times, including early breakfast each day. Pretty exhausting after long bus journey! Rooms are small but very clean and we had nice outlook towards the rear of hotel, bathroom good size and great shower. Good entertainment each evening. Hotel is in a good situation but a long, winding road to Lisdoonvarna!

Room Tip: High floor with rear view rooms are peaceful.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tricia042
Thank you very much for your review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Castlewellan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Had a two night Living Social Voucher which included breakfast, an evening meal and bottle of wine. Arrived a few days ago - hotel and rooms were clean and comfortable. However our experience in the dining room was hopefully a one off. All but two main courses had a supplement charge of 10 euros. The restaurant had over 100 guests dining at the same time which meant all the food had been pre cooked in advance and everything we ordered was inedible. The wine was spanish table wine which was undrinkable. When we asked for alternative food and wine we were told that was all that was left. As all staff were foreigners with very little English speaking we just left. Breakfast was a tad better but not much. Such a pity as it is a nice hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BMS68

Travellers are raving about these Lisdoonvarna hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Clean,staff nice,food terrible ate one out of four evening meal.breakfast good I would not recommend this hotel to any friends.Our party had to have breakfast at 8am not a minute later.
Entertaiment was pretty average.room at back of hotel all you got when window opened was the smell of food.

Room Tip: B&B only not any other meals
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Veronica K
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We decided to have out evening meal here one night last week. The menu was in the entrance next to the open inner door of the restaurant. As we moved away from the menu board to the open door a smartly dressed lady manager came forwards as if to greet us. I smiled and she closed the door in my face! Great Clare welcome.
Have given a nominal '3' for a rate where I could not honestly comment.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Travel organiser
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lisdoonvarna
The Hydro Hotel
Royal Spa Hotel
Royal Spa Hotel
#5 of 7 in Lisdoonvarna
Ballinalacken Castle Country House

Been to Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!