“Great Hotel, Great service.. Adjacent to a shopping centre, need I say more”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sheraton Athlone

Sheraton Athlone
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Hotel, Great service.. Adjacent to a shopping centre, need I say more”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

Stayed here with my sister and son, to celebrate his first birthday. We availed of a 2 night mid week package, which included dinner and spa treatment. Staff wonderful....very modern and chic decor.. Our room was beautiful and a comfy travel cot was in place on our arrival. We used their babysitting service and it was great to have 2 hours to go for dinner on first night. Food great and waitress lovely.However In the morning, I didnt rate the pre cooked hot breakfast options, scrambled eggs not good and bacon overcooked... however the Sheraton are not alone in this weakness, lots of hotels I have stayed in, fall down in this area.

The Spa was truly a relaxing setting and I enjoyed my child free couple of hours there. The express manicure/pedicure price though is far far too expensive. I booked it without checking the price first... if i recall correcly, €45 for manicure and €35 for pedicure, but effectively it was closer to a file and polish which I get for €15 per here in Dublin... maybe i didnt get an experienced beautican?

Bar food was tasty and when my son kicked off during a meal on our 2nd evening, the staff were great in bringing the food up to our room for us.

Great location and you can access the Athlone town centre from the hotel!! Perfect when travelling with your sister or friend.

Returned to the Sheraton for a wedding a couple of weeks later and service and cleaninless was consistent.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
SheratonGeneralMgr, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this review, 15 April 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for providing such a comprehensive review of our property, and thank you sincerely for your repeat custom at our hotel. I am glad to read that our babysitting service was of a high standard, this is one of the most important areas for us to ensure excellent service. As parents it is rare that we get these quiet moments away to enjoy a good meal, and it is always reassuring to know that our children are in good hands.
I will be meeting with our Spa management team early next week to review your feedback in relation to the manicure and pedicure service. I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to contact me at the hotel to discuss your experience further as this is an area where we receive a lot of positive feedback and I would like to implement appropriate training in order to achieve consistency.

Thank you again for the great review and I can assure you that we will review your feedback in detail with our teams in order to ensure consistent standards in the areas you have suggested.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
dundalk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

Have just booked our third trip to the sheraton athlone and must admit that we are looking forward to our next break in this beautiful hotel. From the moment we walked into the lobby until the moment we (reluctantly!) left, the staff were incredibly welcoming, accommodating and to be honest they couldn't have done enough for us. Our room was gorgeous, well equipped and spacious, and the food was fantastic. Breakfast was delicious - there was something to suit everyone's palate. I was really enamoured with the fresh fruit selection! For dinner, the restaurant was atmospheric, and the food was scrumptious. The fillet steak was melt in your mouth and cooked to perfection. We even ordered off menu (fussy eater!) and our request was catered for with aplomb. The bar was great, broad selection of beers (moretti brought back great memories of roman holidays) and liqueurs, and all in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Can't wait to head back in June! Thanks guys!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Ennis, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

Stayed at the Sheraton Hotel in Athlone last weekend. Was extremely impressed with everything about this hotel. Ideal location if one wants to stay in the centre of town. Food in hotel excellent and all staff were so nice and hospitable.

• Stayed March 2011
SheratonGeneralMgr, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this review, 2 April 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Sheraton Athlone Hotel, and for providing such positive feedback about our Food and Staff. I look forward to sharing this with our Food and Beverage teams at our departmental meetings. We are most fortunate to have a team who have a particularly focused approach to exceeding our guest’s expectations in the welcome and friendly service which we provide, and it is great for them to have this effort acknowledged by our guests.
On behalf of the team I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your return.
Johnny O’Sullivan
northern ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

we stayed here last week for three days we had a lovely room on the three floor ok no view but very quite and clean great bed must be super king large bathroom all you need but the pool is a must i have stayed in hotels with pools before this one has to be the best lots to do in town great shops and places to eat we had a meal in the hotel very good the staff are very helpful specially the girl kelly at the reception always smiling and helpful a asset to the hotel parking is easy safe and free cant wait to return great hotel

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
My sincere thanks for your positive review of the hotel and I am delighted to read that you found our leisure centre so enjoyable.
My apologies about the lack of a view from your room, the majority of our rooms have great views over the local countryside (Comprising 4 counties and 2 provinces!) and the Shannon as it flows by. I would be delighted to ensure that you are allocated a room in our Tower to thank you for your custom should you choose to return, so please don’t hesitate to contact me.
The pool hall is designed spanning two floors and benefits from a 15 metre high ceiling with mezzanine walkway. It is complimented by the spa treatment rooms clad in bronzed paint which project into the void. We receive regular positive feedback from guests who have enjoyed this space while using the pool, water features and deck level bubble pool.
Once again many thanks for your kind words about our staff and facilities. I look forwarded to sharing your review with the team here in the hotel.
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

I stayed here for a weekend with a group of my girlfriends. We had spa treatments in the morning which were very good & relaxed in the thermal suite afterwards, where they had a platter of fruit waiting for us & chilled water. The rooms are very nice; clean, modern and decorated tastefully. I especially loved the bathroom because it had a seperate shower and bath & lots of marble, very luxurious! We also had 1 evening meal in the main restaurant which was delicious! I will definately return to this hotel again! A++++

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your wonderful review, and to your group of friends for choosing to spend your leisure time with us at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel.
Sirana Spa is building a regular repeat clientele, for which we have a great team of Spa Therapists to thank along with the truly unique design of the Spa facilities. Designed in conjunction with the potter Stephen Pearce, it takes it’s inspiration from the Japanese tea rooms and features many unique facilities such as a heated Razul in the Serenity waiting area and wonderful feature showers in the changing room.
I look forward to sharing your feedback with the Spa, kitchen and La Provence Restaurant teams, and to welcoming you back when you return.
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

Room: Spacious room, huge bed, pillows very uncomfortable, bath and shower were very clean and the decor is very classy. Cleaners were friendly and requests for extra towels etc were met immediately.

Bar: Staff were very helpful and could not do enough for you. There was a wedding on the 2nd day so it was quiet busy and difficult to get a seat or served.

Restaurant: Staff were once again outstanding. Excellent service provided and extremely professional. We ate an evening meal and it was delicious. I am not keen on hotel food, however, this was a very high standard.

Reception: Not the friendliest of staff here, perhaps they could take some tips on board from the waiting staff. Seems to be a lack of communication between reception staff as we settled our bill on check in yet we were asked to pay again on check out!!!???. We were given incorrect direction to the viking boat and almost missed the trip.

(Viking boat trip takes 1.5 hours and not 40 mins as advised by reception, it leaves from the pier across from olive grove)

The hotel has direct access to the shopping centre from the lift behind reception which was a bonus.

All in all we had a very relaxing trip.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Edwina69
Dear Guest,
It was great to read such a comprehensive review of our property and I am glad to read that overall you had a delightful time with us. There are one or two areas which you have highlighted to us where there is room for improvement. I can reassure you that a full review of your points in relation to our pillows and a lack of clear communication at our front desk will be carried out. We will then programme appropriate training/procurement to ensure an improvement in our standards.
If you would like to contact me in the hotel to discuss your feedback further I would be delighted with the opportunity.
We have made some adjustments to the space in the lobby and bar to increase our seating capacity, and I do apologise that it was difficult to find seating at the time.
It is great for our Associates and Management to have their efforts acknowledged by our guests and I will pass on your kind words to our Accommodation, Bar, Restaurant and Kitchen Teams.
My thanks again for taking the time to review our hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel should you choose to return.
General Manager.
ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2011

The Sheraton athlone is a grand new modern hotel that just lacks that extra sparkle that a new modern hotel should have . It's a four star but it's an Irish four star which to anyone who has stayed anywhere else in the world means a 3 star. Good points are location, staff, breakfast. Bad points are split level hotel and like alot of Irish hotels they run a money making scheme where don't say in website that u need a swimming cap for the pool but expect u yo buy one of them if u dont bring ur own

• Stayed March 2011