“Carysfort 88 reunion”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Galway, Ireland
“Carysfort 88 reunion”
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We've had a mighty time.

I arrived very early - I often do - introduced myself at the desk and was welcomed warmly by Karoline. Of course the room wasn't ready and I was told that no problem for me to use the pool after a dash to H&M - wanted new jeans for the night - unfortunately H&M is only for ladies and chn - so I bought go leor for my daughters and decided to let my torn knee become a fashion accessory - it's a new trend I'm starting all on my own.

Your pool is a treat - comfy and well set out eventhough I forgot my locker code and had to have an attendant re do it for me!

My people arrived from 2pm to 9pm. All were met with what was described as Irish hospitality. The staff at front of house and in the restaurant were all polite calm and professional.

The boat was just fine - weather great and having coffee available was a major bonus for a lot of the sailors. The extremely helpful red haired guy from behind the desk gave exact directions to A.N. Other and listened when I told him I don't take directions well.

Prosecco - though not to everyone's taste, was lovely and well presented - I was able to have 2 calming glasses as someone said no to it - yum!

The meal in our separate area of the restaurant was escellent in presentation and taste.

Four of our party came late and were seated in an extra table seamlessly.

Everyone was served the same course at the same time and all courses were taken away within moments - this keeps the entire group together.

I was pushed into a speech making situation after the meal and background music disappeared within seconds.

There was a DVD to be played that I'd known nothing about and the staff found a laptop of a bartender's girlfriend and had it set up in an ajoining room without my knowning it.

The bar band was cool and they even got me to dance for one song.

Bar staff ready to serve all night - esp the French guy who put up with my bad Francais.

I heard nothing but the word 'comfort' about the bedrooms.

I enjoyed the gym and pool again the next morning and had a lot for breakfast wgich we enjoyed at a relaxed pace as the chat carried on.

All in all Caroline - we had a great time in the Sheraton and many think we should go back. I'd say many of our 100 will use the hotel again for private and public functions.

Daithí Ryder

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
SheratonGeneralMgr, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this review, 8 October 2011
Dear Daithi,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel after your time with us, and indeed thank you to yourself and the group for choosing our hotel to host your reunion. It certainly was a lively event and all of your guests seemed to be enjoying themselves thoroughly. It is great to read that we helped to create the atmosphere for this.
It certainly is those little touches such as tending to the background music during your speech which make an event run smoothly and I have congratulated the team here in the hotel for exceeding expectations throughout.
Once again thank you for choosing The Sheraton Athlone and we look forward to welcoming you back for the next reunion!
Sheraton Athlone Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Beijing, China
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We were given a room with a fabulous view - big curved window with a wonderful town vista.
The staff are friendly and helpful and the hotel is positioned in a convenient shopping centre.
There are a few drawbacks however. Shortly after arriving in the room, someone knocked on the door then immediately entered giving us no time to get to the door. Lucky for him we were clothed! He come to give us two handtowels - which we hadn't asked for - after this we latched, as well as closed, the door. When we did go to have a shower there was no bathmat. There was no hotel info folder so you couldn't find out about laundry, room service, etc. without phoning reception. There was also a concealed nail in the carpet at the bathroom entrance that my husband cut his foot on. In a cheaper hotel all of this would have been acceptable but in one like this, rather disappointing.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Rabaulmeri
SheratonGeneralMgr, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this review, 24 September 2011
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after your stay and for your kind feedback in relation to our staff. The team work very hard to exceed the expectations of our guests and it is always a pleasure to share the positive feedback received with them.

You had pointed out three areas of concern for us and I would like to reassure you that I will implement actions immediately to ensure that they do not re-occur.

We have recently completed our new Guest Information Folder, which is being printed and we hope to have it in place in the bedrooms in the next number of weeks. However we should have had a temporary folder in place and our accommodation manager is auditing the bedrooms to identify those which are missing.

Every member of our accommodation will be immediately retrained following the intrusion without adequate notice, as you can imagine this is a very high priority for us. I would be most grateful if you could contact me to confirm the number of your bedroom in order for us to tend to the carpet and if you would pass on my sincerest apologies to your husband.

I would like to reassure you that we do set very high standards here at the hotel, and that we take it most seriously when one of our guests is disappointed with their stay. We are very grateful for the opportunity to improve on foot of your feedback.

Essex
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I don't know how other reviewers can mark this hotel any less than a five star. I stayed here for two nights with my family as I made a visit to Ireland. I have stayed in many hotels and this is by far one of the best.
We were treated like royalty by staff from the minute we entered the foyer. We were very casually dressed as we had travelled far, and we had children. Staff were extremely polite and co-operative. The room was immaculate and spacious. We stayed in the family room and the en suite was beautiful. OK it didn't have a power shower, but it was a lovely shower all the same. There were a generous helping of toiletries and lovely fluffy white towels.
The bed was huge and we could have fitted the whole family in there. The linen was clean and crisp, and I had a brilliant nights sleep. The kids enjoyed the swimming pool and again, staff at the leisure area were really friendly and helpful.
What can I say about breakfast the next day...plentiful! The home made brown bread was to die for and the whole place was run like clockwork by staff. Everybody looked very busy and eager to please. Staff at the bar that night were the same, really chatty and friendly. The hotel is located in the centre of Athlone which is really handy for shops and pubs ect.
Other hotels have a lot to learn from the Sheraton and the only downfall is when I visit other hotels they fall short of my expectations due to the high level of customer service from the Sheraton hotel.
I live in the UK and visit Ireland occassionaly. This was my first time in the Sheraton and I look forward to booking my next stay when I make the journey over again.

Room Tip: Pack a swimming hat if you want to swim in the pool, although these can be purchased in the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management and associates here at the hotel I would like to thank you for your wonderful review of our property. It was a great pleasure to share your feedback at our weekly meeting.

I was delighted to read that the front office team made your arrival as stress free as possible, and that you found the restaurant and bar teams to be friendly and efficient.

You mention our “Harvest Brown Bread” which has become a bit of a trade mark in the hotel. A large number of our repeat guests who visit the hotel on a daily or weekly basis like to bring a loaf home. Our most memorable story is a Canadian guest who brought a large number of loaves home to family. As our chef likes to say we were exporting harvest bread for a day!

Once again thank you for your wonderful feedback. We hope to see you back at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel in the future and I would be delighted with the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel personally if you have the opportunity to ask for me at the front desk.

Sheraton Athlone Hotel
Ireland
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Stayed in the hotel for one night on a B&B basis. It's a lovely hotel in a great location but I was disappointed that it wasnt anything special. The shower was very poor no power in it at all. This may sound petty but the toilet paper was the most basic I've ever seen.

The music in the bar was a bit old fashioned & loud. I didn't see any cocktail menu but there may have been one.

I recently stayed in the G Hotel which was far superior so this may have clouded my review somewhat.

It is a great hotel for a shopping trip. Breakfast was good too even self service cappuccinos.

• Stayed September 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your stay.
There are a few areas where you have suggested room for improvement on which we have received very positive feedback on in recent times, including our evening entertainment, cocktail menu and showers. I would be very grateful of the opportunity to discuss with you, in order to ensure consistency and to apologise for if they were not of a high standard on the occasion of your visit.
I look forward to passing on your positive feedback to the team in La Provence and The Sheraton Kitchen following your breakfast experience.
I would like to offer my apologies that aspects of your stay were not as good as expected and I look forward to speaking with you personally if the opportunity permits.
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Enjoyed my stay here, always a great buzz about the place, always loads of people about! Great value for money.

• Stayed August 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you most sincerely for taking the time to review The Sheraton Athlone Hotel. I would like to thank you for your repeat custom and it is great to read that there has been a good atmosphere each time you have visited, and most importantly that you have found our services to provide excellent value for money.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon, and please don’t hesitate to ask for me at the front desk if there is anything I can do to make your stay more enjoyable on your return.

General Manager.
Sheraton Athlone Hotel
Ireland
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We had a one night stay in September 2011 in a standard double room with a king size bed.

The bedroom was pleasant and a good size. We had a good nights sleep in a very large and comfortable bed. The room was very quiet, no street noise or other guests interrupting our rest.

Breakfast was good with a good selection of fruit and natural yogurt. Also a good Irish breakfast and very good coffee.

Staff were at all times friendly and helpful.

Complimentary parking is provided and the hotel also have a good gym and swimming pool.

Location is right in town and above 5 minutes walk to the "old town"

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rangzen
Dear Guest,

Thank you most sincerely for taking the time to review The Sheraton Athlone Hotel. It is great to receive such positive feedback and to have our staff recognised for the tremendous effort they put in to both welcoming and taking care of our guest’s needs.

We look forward to having you back in the hotel soon, and please do not hesitate to ask for me at the front desk if there is anything I can do to make your stay more enjoyable on your return.

General Manager.
Tullamore, Ireland
Reviewed 5 September 2011

At a recent golfing trip to athlone westopped off for one night at the sheraton Hotel.
ihave tosay that the highlite of our stay was the the wonderful food that we had for both breakfast and dinner.we stayed on a thursday evening and the chef( kevin i think was his name) was giving a chocolate demonstration in the hotel lobby ,it was very impressive and he involved the kids in the demonstration which they loved.
all the staff which we encountered were very friendly and helpful
top marks to the sheraton

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
SheratonGeneralMgr, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this review, 10 September 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback and for taking the time to review our hotel.

Kevin Ward is our Executive Chef, and I look forward to sharing your great feedback of Breakfast and Dinner in our La Provence restaurant.

In conjunction with our other department managers Kevin participates in one of several complimentary midweek activities which we offer to our guests, including making the perfect hot drink, wine tastings, makeup talks and demonstrations in our Sirana Spa and classed and activities in our leisure club. It is great to hear that Kevin got everyone involved on the day.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Sheraton Athlone when you have the opportunity to return.