“The Good and the Bad”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Yellow Springs, Ohio
“The Good and the Bad”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

This review is for the bad and the good. Overall, my experience was good but there was one very disconcerting part.
I booked a Junior Suite online at a very good rate. The Junior Suites are approximately 50 sq. mtr rooms. Included was breakfast for two and High Speed Internet. I was aware that the hotel offered high speed internet at no charge but felt that paying extra would possibly get me a little higher speed and extra bandwidth. I'm a photographer and transmit images.
Before leaving home I called the hotel to verify my booking as the online room description had changed. I was assured that I was getting a 'deluxe room with a great view'. I specifically asked if it was the same type room I had booked and was assured that it was.
We arrived at 11am after an overnight flight. I had requested early check in and was told that it would be several hours. We got to the room at 1pm. I completely understand that early check in is at the hotel's discretion and have no complaints. However, the room we were given was not a junior suite. In fact, it was a much smaller room on an upper floor. The view was okay but I don't spend alot of time looking out windows. The internet service was also very spotty. Ipads didn't connect at all and the Macbook Pro was hit or miss.
Now for the good.
The hotel was spotless in all areas I saw. The staff was unfailingly polite. The food at breakfast was very good for buffet fare. We ate in the bar two nights and the food was okay and fairly priced. The beer was quite good.
On checking out the staff asked how my stay was and I must have given her a look. She asked me the problem and I told her. She brought the assistant manager who was concerned about the problem. I made it clear that I wasn't asking for any compensation and wouldn't accept any. I think that I received good value for what I paid but I object to being misled.
I Would recommend this hotel.

4 Thank paulkris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Athlone, Westmeath, Ireland
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We celebrated our daughters communion in the Sheraton Hotel in Athlone on 18/05/13. The staff were very pleasant and helpful right from the start, the service throughout the meal and after was nothing short of exceptional. We were all very pleased with the food which was nicely presented and tasted even better.
A really great, child friendly place and the bill at the end was very very reasonable.I will definitely be using this hotel in the future and will recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kevin C
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Superb staff very courteous delivering very good customer service. The bedroom was excellent spacious and well appointed as were the corridors and lift areas . The big let down was the bar and lobby area, the bar was very tatty plus no privacy between seating. The Hotel lobby was non-existent, all in all very surprising for a Sheraton Hotel, it’s as if there were two hotels within one, a poor three star on the ground floor and a well appointed four star on the floors above

1 Thank TMPB
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We selected Athlone because we visited one of the Aran Islands & needed to catch a plane - it's right in the middle so made the perfect choice for our last night. It was only then that we found Clonmacnoise was a short distance out of town. It was great & a high-point of my trip! The bed at the Sheraton was wonderful after all the nights at B&Bs!!! lol I even skipped breakfast so I could sleep late. And the bathroom was huge & luxurious. We ate in the bar & the people watching was just as good as the food! Plus, it's connected to a shopping center & we didn't have to venture back out into the cold, misty evening to go & get a bit of exercise by walking around. Service was good from check-in to check-out. I highly recommend printing the directions on the website if you are driving in; it made finding the parking garage a breeze & DH (the driver) was very thankful that I had thought to do so. ;)

1 Thank Pattie1979
Cork
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Smack bang in the middle of the town. Great spot for weddings. I've been to two here over the last year. Staff are very friendly and helpful. The main bar area is nice and relaxing. The function room is lovely and the rooms are good too.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Jack C
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 9 May 2013

The hotel was just lovely and I couldn't say nicer things about the staff. Emma at the front desk was so helpful and attentive. We had a very large room compared to that of one we stay in the states. It had more than enough room for bed for our daughter as well. The other gentlemen at the front desk when we arrived was wonderful too. We arrived well before check-in time as we were exhausted from our flight. We sat of to the side and after he told us we looked wrecked he offered us tea and juice for our daughter. We would definitely stay here again. The hotel is also centrally located in Athlone and you can walk to all the near by areas with ease.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CO151982
Dereham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

The preferred base for business in the Midlands of Ireland, and a regular monthly destination hotel. Some of the usual staff absent on this particular visit, but nonetheless as welcoming and helpful as ever. Special mentions to Edel & Caroline for organising the meeting facilities, and for their very special attentions, as well as Dan, Phil and Marie - as ever nothing is too much trouble. Johnny runs a very good ship, and his staff support his efforts in an admirable fashon. We will continue to visit the best business hotel in the Midlands, but please do a minor tweak to the music and lighting at breakfast time - one too loud and dirgy, the other too dim to read by. Minor observations only really! It's a pleasure to recommend this Sheraton, even when the Abdallah is away! Rooms are always very comfortable, and spotless, but some of the plumbing could do with looking at - again minor matter.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business