“Great hotel!”

Sheraton Athlone
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

I havnt a bad word to say about this place! We where sent there because the hotel that we had in fact booked in ballinalsoe let us down by claiming to have double booked their last family room.. We never looked back, it's was great. It's also ideally position to explore the Shannon, go fishing on countless reputable waters in the Shannon system and athlone has history to explore and learn referring to the williamite/Jacobite wars in Ireland and religious intolerance/indifference way back on the 1600's. well worth a trip

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ireland
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I arrived here on Sunday, without a booking as I had tonleave another hotel, which I was booked into but could not get me adjoin rooms, even though this is what I had booked. Anyway, on arrival in the Sheraton I was close to tears with a baby that had screamed the entire night before. Thank the good lord above I met Mr Dan Reagan. He immediately calmed me down and sent me to go and have a rest, eat something in the bar and leave it to him to sort. In the bar a young waiter called Gareth saw me standing as there were no seats. He immediately got me seats, a high chair, menus and drinks in no time. OK, so now I start to cry with exhaustion and he comforts me and just his kindness got to me, so rare to see this in an hotel. After I had calmed down, Dan then came to me, two adjoining rooms sorted, at a sensible price and talked with me about the trials and tribulations of parenthood. The rooms were lovely, food lovely and overall I then started to relax. What made this stay for me was the staff, they really are exceptional and I do not know what I would have done without their help - other than drive back home to get some sleep. I want to think them both personally and compliment the remaining staff for their excellent customer service. The hotel is centrally located in the town with access into the shopping centre.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
SheratonGeneralMgr, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Dear “Killin”,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry to read that you had such a difficult experience elsewhere and am delighted to know that the associates here were so helpful in remedying the situation. It was a great pleasure to share your feedback at our weekly meeting and in particular with Dan and Gerard.

We take great pride in making each of our guest’s experiences uniquely enjoyable and I am delighted to read that you found this to be the case.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone soon.

Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This review is long overdue, reminded by the fact I am going back. I have stayed here a few times now with the most important stay being my wedding a couple of years ago. One of the main reasons we choose the Sheraton was due to the welcome of the staff there. Having had some mixed experiences in other hotels, the Sheraton was by far superior. Along with the fabulous banqueting room the decision was easy in the end. We also hosted our ceremony in the hotel so we put a lot of faith in the hotel. The food was excellent, service exceptional and the Penthouse is truly a gem. Next to a water villa this is one of the nicest rooms I have stayed in anywhere in the world. If you want to splash out, get the two story penthouse.
On our return to the hotel for our 1st anniversary, we again had a very warm welcome. The General Manager even remembered us and spent some time talking to us.
The hotel itself is centrally located next to the shopping center. The rooms are large and spacious and the Sheraton "Sweet Sleeper" are the best beds of any hotel chain. I'd love one myself. The restaurant food is excellent, every time and we have eaten there a few times. They also own the coffee shop in the shopping center which also serves excellent food and is reasonable priced.
Whenever I stay in Athlone, there is no question of where to stay. Lets hope they keep their high standards because the staff really give this hotel the edge.
Overall: Highly Recommended

Room Tip: Choose the tower if you can
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear “Asarge77”,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such wonderful feedback following your wedding with us and for staying with us often since.

It was an absolute pleasure to look after you both. I am delighted that you found the day to be so memorable. Your review is very kind and thank you for providing us with such comprehensive feedback.

Everyone here in the hotel sends their regards, and were delighted to receive your great feedback at our weekly meeting. We look forward to welcoming you back in this weekend.

Once again, thank you for choosing The Sheraton Athlone Hotel as the venue for one of the biggest occasions of your lives and I am glad that we helped to make the day special for you.

All the best for now.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My wife and I had an excellent 2 night stay in early July. The room was spotless and the beds are very comfortable.The breakfast was very good, could not fault it.
The staff were excellent and extremely helpful.
I found the leisure facilities very good, I must have used them at the right time as there was only a few people using at the times I went so again I could not fault them and I thoroughly enjoyed them.
The hotel is very central to Athlone , so once the car was parked that was it, walked everywhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sutton2012
Dear “Sutton2012”,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and in particular that you found the staff helpful and friendly.

It was a pleasure to share your feedback with the team at our weekly meeting. Your opinion is extremely important to us.

In particular it is great to read that you found the rooms to be spotless. Grainne, Anne Marie and their team recently had their consistently high standards recognized in achieving a gold standard award in the Accommodation Services Institute Awards.

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kells, Ireland
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Enjoyed a mid week stay. Very quiet room (in the Tower) Gorgeous, spotless bathroom, fab king sized bed, friendly staff. Highly recommended. Lots of lovely restaurants and pubs within walking distance.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaryRW
Dear “MaryRW”,
Many thanks for your wonderful review, and for choosing to spend your leisure time with us at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel.
It was a pleasure to share your feedback with our management and associates at our weekly review of guest feeback and we are delighted to know that you would recommend our hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone very soon.
Sheraton Athlone Hotel
County Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I can't find anything to criticise. Room was v. good, breakfast v. good, leisure centre v. good, staff efficient, professional and friendly. The only thing that irritated us slightly was the fact that a breakfast tray with the remains of someone's breakfast was left in the corridor adjacent to our bedroom door for a full day!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moses_Larkin
SheratonGeneralMgr, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Dear “Moses_Larkin”,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a positive review of your experience with us and for choosing to stay at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel.

It is wonderful to read that you found the team to be professional and friendly. We are extremely fortunate to have a team who are dedicated to providing a genuinely friendly service and this is an area which is regularly complimented by our guests. I look forward to sharing your feedback with the team at our weekly review of guest correspondence.

I do apologise that there was a lapse in standards in relation to the collection of a room service tray from the bedroom corridor. I have reviewed this issue with our restaurant management team as well as implementing training to avoid a repeat of this issue.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone very soon.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 25 July 2013

The hotel has new facilities and is connected to a shopping mall which is kind of weird but useful. The hotel rooms are good quality. The pool is small as well as has excessive number of users because they also sell memberships.

Given the level of facilities usually of hotels in Ireland, this is a very good option if you want a US style hotel with good facilities albeit overpriced.

They have easy to use underground parking which is convenient.

Room Tip: Try to avoid one in the "towers" as this hotel is organized weird such you will need to tr...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Dear “globaldr”,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a review of your experience with us and I am delighted to read that you felt we are representing the high standards of Sheraton Hotels very well here at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel.

Our direct access to The Athlone Towncentre Shopping Centre, along with exclusive discounts for our guests, is indeed a very unique feature and is seems to be well received as a very enjoyable experience. Thank you for your feedback.

The excellent value for money offered in our outlets and for our accommodation packages is regularly complimented. Your opinion is very important to us and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss where you felt some of the facilities may have be overpriced if you would be kind enough to contact me by phone on 00 353 906451000 or by email at generalmanager@sheratonathlonehotel.com.

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone very soon.