“Great stay”
Review of Sheraton Athlone

Sheraton Athlone
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

Booked Sligo for 3 days over the 12th. Only stayed 1 night and headed for athlone. Stayed here loads but 1st time in the Sheraton. From the welcome to the farewell the staff were really lovely. Room was great very comfy. My only ctitiscm here would be the towels - thin, small and cheap and not 4 star by any means. Bar food is good. The club room was great. Basically the staff and service made it. Location is fab and athlone is buzzing. Will be back. Would love to commend individual staff but I have forgotten all the names. Thanks great hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 21 August 2013

I didn't expect much from a little town in the middle of Ireland. And yet, the Sheraton Hotel was perfect. Great staff (they spent time resetting my phone), beautiful rooms, spotless bathrooms, outstanding breakfast. The location could not have been better, right in the center of the town, and the parking garage was included in the hotel price. Too bad it was only for 1 night!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank Mirella Menglid... M
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The staff are the best thing about this hotel. This property is not up to the usual Sheraton standard. We booked a suite and 2 other standard rooms as a break with family. There wasn't anything special about the suite which was way over priced. It's a glorified family room without the extra bedding as all we saw that was different was the square footage and a couch for seating. The decor of the room is nothing exceptional and the couch has a used 70's feeling about it - cheap effort at a retro I guess. The main lobby area is grotty and needs a good clean up. The seating area is not effective with couches on top of each other with coffee tables that weigh a ton which have to be shifted back and forth to access the space which doesn't provide enough leg room. The carpet throughout the hotel needs to be replaced.
Personal GPS is a requirement as the hotel has a convoluted room numbering system which would be a nightmare in an emergency. The tower has a block of 400 numbers regardless of which floor level you are staying on and you need to switch elevators to access the main level.
The highlight of the trip was the staff - they are very friendly and efficient. Dean was very helpful to us, personable and a true asset to this hotel as well as Mark and Olivia who assisted us at reception. Unfortunately with all the hotels to chose from in Ireland I wouldn't recommend this for a mini break.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Tower section as you need to constantly change elevators and walk a lot to rea...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed for 2 nights, overall very impressed. Nice clean, modern hotel.
Rooms were spacious, great air-con. Bathrooms were a bit small and dark but ok.
Breakfast was great.
Reception staff were not very friendly.
If I had to fault this hotel it would be that it was complex to get to our room. We had to get 2 different lifts and the lifts are a good distance apart.
Location great though, lovely town.
Didn't eat or drink in the hotel or use the leisure facilities so I cannot comment on that.
Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

Just home from a very enjoyable one night stay in the Sheraton. Very child friendly and great helpful and friendly staff. Lovely room (family room) spacious and spotless. Good breakfast and good pool, sauna, steam room etc. Great value break at 138 euro b&b including a 1hr 20min river Shannon cruise for 2 adults and 3 kids! Would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

I had to be in athlone today but promised to treat myself to a bite in the sheraton. Went in the main front door had a look at the bar it was full. Was wandering through reception and to be fair the receptionist asked if she could help. I said I wanted something nice to eat . She suggested the bar I said it was full then she suggested the harvest restaurant and they did carvery I said I don't really do carvery .. she goes its really nice and they do sandwiches etc. I went up to be fair the display looked nice and the chef was friendly I ordered my food. And went to pay and get a drink they only had chardonnay wine.... The days of the wag are gone chardonnay is bo longer popular. When I asked I was told that was it or the red. To be fair staff are lovely food is ok but in my head I have the sheraton down for exceptional quality and service and do feel let down the harvest is a cafe like anyother in a shopping centre the seating is ok but you wouldnt sit there all day drinking its aimed at eat and drink up and get out. I don't want to hear the cutlery being polished and thrown into the containers, I want to relax its suppose to be the sheraton. To Sheraton staff please high light that its a cafe not a restaurant it works out of the shopping centre I didn't know what it was like until I went to pay and saw the seating I was sure it would have been more different if I'd have known I wouldnt have stayed found something else and moved on to be fair the sheraton is well located staff seem nice food is fine... It was the perception and name that didn't represent a good experience

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I was here two nights in august with children and my parents
We had great relaxing time, kids enjoyed the camp and dinner with other kids
We enojoyed the town and the spare time for visiting the city and do some shopping
Hotel is in a shopping center so if it s raining you can stay in the shopping center withput going out
Restaurant and breakfast are very good
Hotel is very elegant and swimming pool is new vlean and lots of good water massage
I would come back certainly

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family