“Disappointing”
Review of Sheraton Athlone

Sheraton Athlone
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I stayed here with friends in July. Everything about it bar the breakfast was just alright. Breakfast, and the manager on duty were really lovely. The weather was lovely at the time but the only out door area was occupied by a wedding. The way one enters the hotel from the shopping centre was dingy and dirty, truly awful. At night my room mate and I discovered we were in a room which had been modified for disabled persons. Three was an alarm button next to the bathroom door which I accidentally pressed when I was looking for the light switch to go to the bathroom during the night. A long shrill alarm continually sounded. Reception rang up to our room to ask if we needed assistance but we said no, that we'd pressed it accidentally, so we went back to bed but that alarm sounded many more times. My friend phoned down to reception at one stage for assistance, as it was impossible to sleep with that alarm and no body answered in reception. There was an alarm in our room in case of emergencies, and when reception was contacted, no body could be reached. A fine lot of good it was having an alarm in that room. The following morning the man we spoke to at checkout told us that the reason they phoned to see if we needed assistance was so that they could come to our room and disable the alarm. We were not in the habit of setting off alarms in the middle of the night so we were not aware of that fact and the night staff did not explain it to us so we did not know. Furthermore my friend explained to him that she had phoned down later to ask for assistance but that nobody answered. No apology was offered for that. We had a nice stay, because of the company we were in, but the hotel itself was quite disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hiiiflyer

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Just spent 5 nights with my bridge friends and I have to say it was the best hotel I have ever stayed in. I have travelled a lot on bridge and bowling holidays for many years and for quality and value this hotel can't be beaten. The staff were so helpful throughout our stay and the food was amazing, I will definitely be back

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We only stayed the one night in the Sheraton, but the hotel was very comfortable and the room very good. Food in the bar was lovely, the only thing was the position of the bar it just seemed to small for the type of the hotel and an after thought.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
SheratonGeneralMgr, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear “Noddy1971”,
Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay with us at The Sheraton Athlone hotel and for providing a review of your experience with us.
I am delighted to read that you enjoy the food offering in our Sheraton Bar and that our hotel was comfortable with good rooms. It was pleasure to share this feedback with Kevin, Anne Marie and our Kitchen and Accommodation teams.
Your feedback is very important to us and I will certainly re-evaluate the seating arrangements in our bar and lobby areas to ensure we have plenty of space for our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone very soon.

Sheraton Athlone Hote

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Having recently returned from a weekend at the Sheraton Athlone Hotel, I can safely recommend this hotel to any large group looking to get away for a weekend. We were a large gathering of friends and family who came to have an enjoyable weekend in Athlone. We were greeted by very hospitable and professional staff in the Sheraton. The rooms were great, not that we saw them much! The food in the restaurant was excellent and the service was exceptional, considering the fact that we were a large table of 24 people. Breakfast was lovely on both mornings even though we all came down very late, the food was still fresh and very well presented. Overall we were very happy with our weekend in Athlone, and this was greatly enhanced by all the team in the Sheraton Athlone. Looking forward to our next visit!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Diarmuid,
It was a great pleasure to welcome you and your fellow guests to Athlone and to The Sheraton. I am delighted to read that things went so well and more particularly that you are looking forward to a return visit. It is wonderful to know that you would recommend us following your experience.
I look forward to sharing your feedback with the team at our weekly review of guest feedback.
All the best for now and we look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone very soon.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed here for a night in February and it was lovely. The hotel staff provided excellent customer service and couldn't have been more helpful. The room was very big and modern, it exceeded expectations. The hotel is located right in the middle of town and it is close to the bus & train station. We ate in the hotel restaurant and the service was first class. We thought the food was lovely but it is probably a bit pricier than eating in the town. Breakfast the next day was delicious and there was a good selection of hot and cold food. The shopping centre is accessible from the hotel which was handy. The two main downsides were the terrible WiFi in the room and the pool. The pool itself was nice but there were back to back swimming lessons and classes on the evening we were there which meant we couldn't actually swim in the pool. This was disappointing as we had not been given prior notice and we were really looking forward to a relaxing swim. Overall the hotel is excellent value and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear “Aisling Mack”,
On behalf of myself and the team here at The Sheraton I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and for providing a review of your experience, your opinion is very important to us.
I am delighted to read that you found our location and the quality of our food and service to be excellent.
My sincerest apologies in relation to the issues you encountered in relation to the wifi signal and swimming lessons. I have asked our IT manager to carry out on an audit of our bedrooms and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with me further if you would like to contact me on generalmanager@sheratonathlonehotel.com . The provision of swimming lessons should in no way impact on our guest’s use of the pool in our Sheraton Fitness Facilities and I am most sorry about this. Thank you for highlighting this and I will be working with our leisure centre manager to ensure that this does not occur in the future.
Finally thank you for your very kind words about the staff here at the hotel and I look forward to sharing your comments with the entire team.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We stayed in Sheraton Hotel last Weekend for 2 nights and had a wonderful time. The rooms are lovely , spacious bright and airy. The Management and Staff could not do enough for us. Lovely food, Music in Bar on both nights, Friday and Saturday which was very enjoyable. The Leisure Centre is great, and the hotel is situated right in the centre of the town, so plenty of shops nearby. We shall definitely be back in the near future. Christy and Susan Waters.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christy W

Dear Christy and Susan,
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your experience with us and for staying at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel.
I am delighted to read that you found that the management and staff could not do enough for you. It is our common goal to exceed our guest’s expectations and it is always wonderful to hear that we have achieved this.
It’s great to read that you will be staying with us again in the near future and if the opportunity arises to ask for me at reception on your return I would be delighted with the opportunity to welcome you in personally.

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

This is my third time staying in the Sheraton Athlone. My last visit was about 3years ago for a girls weekend. I enjoyed the stay then so came back.
We are staying in a tower room which has nice views. It's very clean. However there is no water in the room and the mini bar is empty. I have never seen that before. The bathroom had no cotton pads or cotton wool. Someone is smoking in another room and the smell is very strong in my room, a non smoking room. I was looking forward to a relaxing morning in bed with newspaper but the smell was too strong for me to stay in room. The room has no wifi signal.
These may be small things to someone but not what I would expect in a 4 star hotel.
In saying that when I checked in Deirdre at reception was very nice to deal with.
We had dinner in the bar. I had quiche Lorraine with side salad and hand cut fries. This was also disappointing. The quiche was smothered in cheese that I couldn't taste the egg. The side salad was two tomato slices and some water cress. The hand cut chips were hand cut by a machine!

Overall it's fine for a night but after a great stay here before I was very disappointed.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Whe1o

Dear “Whe1o”,
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your experience at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel. I am very sorry that you found your experience with us to be disappointing and I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me on generalmanager@sheratonathlonehotel.com so that I can apologise personally and discuss your feedback with you.
We have an infrastructure in place to provide wifi to all of our bedrooms and I have asked our IT manager to carry out a full audit of where there may be signal issues. My apologies about this.
Our mini bars are stocked on request and I apologise if the sign was not in your room advising your of this. This system is generally well received by our guests, but we are certainly open to reviewing this. While we do not provide bottled water in all of our bedrooms, our water throughout the building is from our own wells and is suitable for drinking. Having discussed your feedback we are sourcing signage for our bedrooms to advise our guests of this.
There is no excuse for the behaviour of smoking in areas of the hotel that are designated non smoking, and while our team will do their best to manage the matter on the occasions that it occurs, I am extremely sorry for your experience.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and hopefully recovering your faith in the quality of our service and thank you once again for providing us with this valuable feedback.