“Great Conference”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Limerick
“Great Conference”
Reviewed 21 September 2008

I attended a conference at the Sheraton and even though it was quite a big conference, all was very well looked after! We were in the Hoey suites and found the facilities to be great - the sound gave some trouble, but they sorted it quickly.
We especially enjoyed the outside terrace during the tea/coffee breaks. It was a very enjoyable experience overall!

• Liked — The central location
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
cork, ireland
Reviewed 21 September 2008

We stayed here for 2 midweek nights at the beginning of september. We booked over the phone on the evening of arrival and were assisted by a very helpful person called laura I think. Parking is free for guests at the underground carpark adjacent to the town centre shopping centre. We arrived up at reception and were looked after by robert who was very efficent and friendly. We asked about an upgrade to a room with a view( we had booked a king room for €138 b&b per night.) and there was availabilty so we upgraded to €178 b&b per night. We were asked did we want help with our luggage as a 4* should do. We were given a room in the tower on the 9th floor I think. The place is like a maze to begin with until I found my bearings. The room was fab but we were very very disapointed with the view. For the extra €40 euro a night we had a view of the bus or train station and a very distant river view. Total waste but the sunset was nice. I think if we had been in the room next door we would have had a better view. The room was great. Seperate shower but it took ages for the hot water to come thru. Total waste of water. Very comfy bed. Pay on demand movies and internet on the tv however it did not work but there is free pcs to use in the lobby.
We slept in for breakfast on the first morning and just as well as on the second morning it was crap to be honest. Portion control must be on the cards as someone was serving on the hot food counter. He was very rude to the older man he served before me and I asked for scrambled eggs I got one deserst sized spoon. As this was all I was having hot with toast I asked for more and It was like it was coming out of his wages he was so mean with it. There was no apple juice and the fruit was canned. a bowl of Mandrin oranges out of a can. just terrible. We were sitting for well over 5 mins before we were asked did we want tea or coffee and toast but the girls were really busy in fairness(talking in a group presumbly about last nights going on). When it did come 5 mins after there was 2 slices of white toast cut in half. A bit mean for 2 people.
bar area was ok. We had a few drinks there in the evening. The bar food menu wasn't great.
The location of the hotel is good as its in the centre of town next of the shopping centre which has all the major shops and a few restaurants.
Athlone is a great town. There is many many restaurants to chose from. The 1st evening we ate at the prince of wales bar. It was the 1st place we stumbled on and it was suprisingly good we thought. The second night we ate at some place with bistro in the name. It was good too. But to be honest there are so many restaurants you will be spoiled for choice so I therefore wouldn't bother with a dinner package at the hotel.
We took a cruise on the shannon in the viking boat which was great. Run by a kerry guy called michael I think who was great.
So I would recommend the hotel most definetly but breakfast was terrible and the upgrade was sooo not worth it.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed 21 September 2008

We stayed here for two nights and were very happy with it. It's a typical chain hotel so if you want character and atmosphere maybe avoid it but otherwise it can't be faulted. Rooms are a decent size, well equipped. Service was excellent, e.g. we ordered room service at 1am and it arrived within ten minutes.
Leisure facilities are very good, gym is much better equipped than you often find in hotels. Location is great, right in the centre of town and adjacent to the new shopping centre.
We had dinner in the hotel restaurant, food was excellent and good value. One criticism is that there is no a la carte option, only table d'hote.
All in all, very happy.

• Liked — Service, facilities
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Kiel, Germany
Reviewed 18 September 2008

Nice Design Hotel, standard rooms with poor cleaning especially in the bathroom. Friendly staff at front desk but poor trained staff in all other outlets (especially bar- tables dirty, staff quite unfriendly). Breakfast was standard, but nothing outstanding. I could not find any staff during breakfast to ask for coffee.

• Liked — staff at front desk
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Galway
Reviewed 8 September 2008

Myself and my 18yr old daughter stayed at the sheraton for three nights mid week. I needed a break away from home and a place to relax. I wouldd return here in the morning if I got half a chance. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Rooms were very comfy and bathroom was really nice. Seperate shower which was geat to ease those aches and pains, seperate bath, lovely toiletries, radio and luvly fluffy towels. Everything is brand new. Overall the decor through the hotel was very tastefully done. Breakfast would leave you needing to go on a diet as it has great choice. I was very impressed when I asked for a fried egg to see the chef crack open the eggs and fry in front of me. Only two minor complaints and I mean minor...dinner in the restruant although scrumptious was a bit slow on serving. In saying that the menu states the food is cooked fresh so expect this. And the other is the bed had no throw which I think adds to the decor. We both had a facial in the spa and I also had a massage. Prices were good and the whole experience was bliss. Relaxation room is just what it says...really nice, fruit for guests to help themselves. Therapists were very good and took the time to offer advice to us both on aftercare. Pool was another treat. We were given a tour on the fitness room and pool area. I loved the jacuzzi and the hydrotherepy pool. You will defininetly get rid of all those aches and pains. Overall it was a brill stay and I will most defenitly be back for more. Well done to all the staff they are doing a great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing was sorry to leave
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
Dublin
Reviewed 1 September 2008

To start off our forthcoming holiday I decided to book one night in the Sheraton Athlone. Like a previous reviewer we had requested the "club class" rate, only too to discover that this service is still not available 5 months after opening. Why then have this as an option when booking? The room was entirely standard in all respects. Service at the bar was laughable. Staff are poorly trained and the managers appear to adopt the "blinker" approach. Glasses were dirty, tables were not cleared and although there were several staff on duty there was no one to take an order at the table. Dinner in the restaurant (€45 set menu) is reminiscent of hotel food from a bygone era. The pool was empty in the morning: one plus as it is divided into 2 lanes and if busy space would be at a premium. Breakfast deteriorated quickly from edible fresh fruit to an Irish breakfast that seriously merited the bin.
Value for money I hear you ask? No
Sheraton standards in place? No
Would we go back? Certainly not
Spend your money elsewhere

• Liked — The room was standard
  • Disliked — Poor service, food quality and overall experience
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OrlaandJan
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 September 2008

Stayed here for a one night stay in August. Checked in with no problems about 10.30pm. The bed was comfortable and the room was pleasant, although nothing special. However, the lock on the bathroom door was broken, the minibar was completely empty, one of the sheets and pillowcases had dirty marks and one of the telephones didn't work. None of these things were a major issue in themselves, however, we would have expected better from a Sheraton. Hopefully these are just teething problems as its a fairly new hotel but I would consider other hotels before rebooking here.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple