“A fine hotel and people”
Review of Sheraton Athlone

Sheraton Athlone
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 26 May 2014

When I checked in we were excited because hey had upgraded us to one of their nicest rooms. When entering we were disappointed to smell a smoked had recently stayed there. They immediately sent someone up then the manager even showed up. We were moved. The new room ended up having an air conditioning problem. The manager was so embarrassed. He again came right to the room. Made no excuse and again moved us across the hall. They made adjustments to the room rate and supplied us with a nice red wine and a few drinks at the bar. We understand sometimes things happen. What was most amazing was the professional way they handled it. Even with some problems this hotel must be rated high. Plus a great spa and bar.

Room Tip: Feel good about booking a room there
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,986)

Reviewed 24 May 2014

In February this year i attended a family wedding with my partner here. Much to my delight it was a great day from start to finish. We started off in the Bar area of the hotel where we were greeted by a few friendly faces of the Sheraton staff. We then proceeded to go upstairs to 'The Siege' for more pre- reception drinks, beautiful area of the hotel which boasts of a lovely patio/garden area for the use of guests to mingle outside.
Moving on to the 'Ballroom' it was simply beautiful! We were met by a lovely Host named Gavin, he greeted us as we entered. You could tell he was the man in charge of the day as he was pleasant, efficient and very happy to help all attending guests.
As we sat down to our table it wasn't long before our orders were taken for our meal, the menu was very well presented and there was a choice for everyone.
For starter I had the Caesar Salad, followed by the Soup, for mains Salmon and desert the delicious Berry Cheesecake. The service was fantastic a designated waiter/waitress for each section of tables all under the direction of Gavin. I can not fault this Gentleman, his efforts that day were simply amazing no task fazed him he constantly wore a smile on his face through out the evening, making all guests including myself very welcome indeed. I remember at one point he made sure we didn't have to leave our table to go to the bar to order another round of drink during our meal he took the liberty in ordering it for us and having it brought to our table.
After the meal it was time for speeches etc and moved on to the evening do. Again the staff worked very well under Gavin's direction.
All round it was simply an amazing day At the Sheraton Hotel i couldn't fault it, from the beautiful atmosphere to the outstanding service, I highly recommend any brides to be to consider this hotel as a venue and Gavin as your number one choice to arrange your day. Speaking to other guests the next day nobody had a bad word to say and were all overly impressed by the standard of service.

Looking forward to returning soon. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Arrived evening time to Sheraton hotel. Reception staff were friendly and fast. When I got to my room I found it a little cold so I rang reception. They sent me housekeeping staff (shenaide) who put on heating for me and put extra blanket in bed for me. Room was hot after 10minutes :-) . She was very attentive. Shower very good in toilet and very clean. Reception lady was very nice the next morning. ( Natasha) . Friendly and clean hotel :-)

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Fuat K
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Can not praise this hotel highly enough. We had a family occasion a birthday. 15 went for dinner the food and service were both top class.the staff are very friendly and welcoming.food was amazing and excellent value for money. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Modern hotel in centre of Athlone, linked to shopping centre. Contemporary rooms as you would expect in a Sheraton. Choice of restaurants - I had dinner in the main restaurant, food was just ok, vegetables overcooked. On the plus side service was excellent, staff were efficient and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Just back from 24 hours in athlone, but actually never left the environs of the Sheraton. Parked car then checked into a beautifully quiet and spacious room on the tower block of the hotel. It took two lifts to get there, a minor inconvenience for the exclusive feel. From free parking in the hotel, easy access to a giant shopping centre, a wonderful and lively bar area including live music and topping it all off in a very reasonably priced culinary wonderland aka La Provence Restaurant. The food was out of this world. My wife had a smoked salmon roulade with pesto on the side to start while I had mushroom soup. The mains were salmon again with a mango dressing and I had the venison with red onions and the usual addition of mash and veg. Fish is fish, meat is meat, veg is veg, but what they did with it to make the flavours just jump out and turn your tastebuds on their heads. The wine list was also very good. You couldn't make a wrong move. The staff in the hotel and restaurant also go out of their way to be very pleasant and helpful. I can't wait to go back and would recommend it wholeheartedly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank owen f
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed with friends in December and while the location was absolutely perfect I felt that it was a pity the service and quality did not match.

There seemed to be a wedding coming in to the hotel on the day that we were there (we did not see the bridal party arrive however) - I am not sure I would like it as a wedding venue ... entrance not 'special' and parking would be a nightmare for all guests I would think.

Bar drinks overpriced - I felt. Ordered glass of wine and, without being given any options to select from, bar staff automatically proceeded to pour what I think was the most expensive glass of wine. Luckily I stopped the pouring before it was too late and asked for a more reasonable (but still not cheap) glass. Because of this I did not enjoy it like I would usually enjoy a nice glass of wine.

The bar is very 'open' .. right inside the main entrance and not cut off from all the foyer traffic. As the hotel is joined to the shopping centre, there were lots in for coffees - place very crowded (good for business) and a little loud to be able to enjoy a relaxed drink.

I did not eat here on this occasion but have done in the past - fish very undercooked to the point that the chef himself came out to apologise and the meal was not charged for. I completely appreciate that these things can happen in businesses such as hotels ... it is not always possible to get it 100% right. It was very busy that day and I am sure that there was lots of pressure in the kitchen. To be fair - the situation was handled very well and staff were lovely about it.

Parking is in the shopping centre carpark - that is not a problem at all - it is conveniently accessible from the hotel.

Rooms lovely - spacious, clean and comfortable.

Would I recommend? For location I certainly would - no doubt. For bedrooms - yes also. Not so sure about the rest though.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends