“Standard Sheraton hotel”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Stockholm, Sweden
“Standard Sheraton hotel”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I normally stay here when I travel to Athlone for work. It's in the good location: Close to the bus stop and next to the shopping center. It also has a nice swimming pool.
Sometime the check-in and check-out can be slow. They only have one person to take care of it even when there are many people waiting in the que.

In general, I prefer Sheraton Athlone than Radisson Athlone

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jian W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed here last weekend and I must say I am extremely impressed on a number of fronts. Where do I start? Well, let's start at check-in and a personal welcome from the hotel manager and director, Johnny O'Sullivan who I must say is a very impressive figure. Obviously I would never stay in a hotel without having first read the reviews posted on Tripadvisor and one of the things I always look out for is the responses by management to the reviews. I was impressed with this manager's responses and it was nice to have that sense confirmed when I met the man himself.

Check-In and Check-Out was very efficient and a very special mention of Sean and in particular Natasha who is a very impressive and customer focussed lady.

The hotel has a great Leisure Centre with a lovely Pool and Spa and a visit here is a must. The L'Escale restaurant (see separate review) is beautiful and everywhere you go in this hotel you will experience service of the highest quality. A fantastic team of engaged people dedicated to making your leisure time very special.

Rooms, especially in the tower are excellent, large and spotlessly clean. Hotel location is excellent and within easy walking distance of Main Street and many places of interest. If in Athlone, this hotel is a must stay.

Room Tip: Tower Rooms are lovely
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank PaulNimmo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I am from the U.S. and I have stayed at this hotel on two occasions. Both were positive experiences. During my most recent stay, I fell ill and the hotel went above and beyond to help me during the difficult time. They called an ambulance, stayed with me until the ambulance came, they were very helpful to the other travelers in my party by making sure they had everything that they need and when I returned from the hospital, the manager called my room to see if I was okay, offer me complimentary lunch, offer to help with my luggage when ready to check out etc. When I checked out of the hotel the receptionist said that the manager wanted to see me and once again he came out to check on me and make sure that I was okay.
I truly appreciated knowing that while in another country, the staff was there to help me.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Dayna Z
SheratonGeneralMgr, Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Dayna,

Many thanks for posting review. I was sorry to hear you were unwell during your visit here and I know the team here were genuinely interested in your welfare during your stay. I am glad to read that we were able to offer some comfort to you and your party whilst you were here. I do hope you will be able to return to our hotel soon and enjoy your stay to the fullest.

Grainne Cornally
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here overnight with my 4 year old daughter. The room was excellent, it even had a choice of children's tv stations for her age group. We had a meal in the restaurant which was super. I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ciaran C
Ballaghaderreen, Ireland
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night as my wife was on a course in the hotel. Check in was quick and and the reception staff were very pleasant and helpful. No problems with giving us a late check out the next day. The room was fabulous although the view was not the best. A full glass wall looking out to apartments on either side. Beds are big and comfortable. I would have liked the mini bar to have been stocked but it wasn't. Again only a small flaw in what was a very enjoyable stay. We ate in the bar for lunch and the chowder was very nice. Hot and full of flavour. The staff were very attentive and pleasant. Breakfast the next morning was fresh and there was a very good variety. So many hotels get this so so wrong but this is one of the better hotel breakfasts we have had. Our waitress Laura was excellent. The bar is a nice relaxing place for a coffee if you have a free half an hour.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear “Patrick S”,

I am delighted to read you and your wife enjoyed your stay at our hotel and in particular your very kind comments regarding our breakfast offering. This is an area we have been focusing on to ensure we are providing the right amount of variety and the freshest of ingredients to our guests. The team were delighted to read that our efforts have been successful. I have passed on your comments to Laura, an excellent member of the team, who was delighted with your feedback.

Patrick I do hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you and your wife back to the hotel in the near future.

Grainne Cornally
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Modern typical Sheraton offering in the centre of Athlone. Very comfortable, largish rooms; excellent fixtures in large bathrooms. Front desk excellent at arrival and leaving; chatty but efficient, was very impressed. Bar nice and good service. Big negative is the "restaurant"; amazingly old fashioned food and service. Guys running around but achieving little. Ordered steak with chips instead of mash and sauce on the side. Got no mash, no chips and the sauce all over my steak. Clearly threw away the order after he took it. When I was finished, I found it impossible to get my bill; waiters nodded to me, to get it but never delivered. Eventually, I got up and went to the till, where several other people were paying too. So, clearly they were suiting themselves, not delivering bills and letting people come to them. There is no need for this; so old fashioned and poor. These guys are used to serving large buses of senior women wearing sailor hats (that was who was there during my visit); they have clear forgotten how to do their jobs.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank mukdennnis
Dear “Mukdennis”,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review and I am delighted to read your comments regarding our efficient and friendly reception team. The team pride themselves on exceeding our customer’s expectations and we were delighted to receive your feedback. However I am disappointed to read about the service you received in our Restaurant and I can assure you this is not the standard of service we aim to deliver. Your feedback was very beneficial for us and has been reviewed thoroughly at our Management meeting and we are currently implementing training to ensure that this level of service is not repeated. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with an opportunity to improve on the consistency of our service.

I do hope you will consider staying at the hotel again and if so I would be grateful if you could contact me directly at salesadmin@sheratonathlonehotel.com as I would welcome the opportunity to thank you in person for the feedback provided.

Gráinne Cornally
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Only stayed for one night here on our tour of Ireland - wish it had been for longer. The town itself is nothing special, although the river walk is pleasant, but the hotel has to be the best in town, or for miles around for that matter. Our room was large and extremely comfortable, with a very well fitted bathroom. The location is good, with an underground (free for guests) car park attached to the hotel and a shopping mall. The bar food is excellent and the service was speedy. All the staff are very helpful (I had a problem with the wi-fi set up, but someone was sent to the room and it was quickly sorted). There is an excellent leisure/pool facility and a large gym - all free to guests. Would highly recommend the Sheraton and hope to stay again when in Ireland next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple