“absolutly fantastic experience”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
ireland
“absolutly fantastic experience”
Reviewed 19 November 2008

myself and some friends came to stay here in october midweek and it was absolutly fabulous. we had a ball from start to finish.. check in the girls were so helpful, rooms were beautiful...

was great just havin the shopping centre at ur feet.. we loved that of course.. eat in the harvest that day was beautiful....

back from the shops we headed for the amazing sirana spa... it is an exoerience i will never forget,, when we walked in the receptionist at the desk jenny i think was so helpful so polite and defintly a girl who knew wat she was doing an talking about... she brought us thru the spa and was very attentive to all our needs. my therapist catriona was just amazing i wid have loved to take her home.. such a lovely person, and u could tell she was a girl truly happy and content in her job. i had a full body massage and it was the best i have ever had, i then had a facial and she just examined my skin talked to me all about my needs an wants an iv never had anyone look after me in such detail before an i regulary go to spas. i really felt like i was being cared for and that i wasnt just a client paying money. i felt so at home an relaxed in this girls company and she is a tresure to the spa. i was brought to the relaxation room an this was sheer bliss, strawberries nd ipods... could have stayed thre all day... i cannott remember who the other girls had as their therapists but they all enjoyed their treatments. i felt i had to come on and mention my experience because it was so amazing and one i will not forget and we will most certainly be back in the near near future...

• Liked — the rooms and the spa definelty the spa
  • Disliked — having to leave the spa
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 6 November 2008

I recently stayed in the Sheraton Athlone for a family weekend. We paid €189 per person for two nights B&B and one dinner. The first thing I must mention is how helpful and nice the reservations staff are. Because we were booking a number of rooms, I exchanged several emails and phone-calls with both Laura and Anne-Marie and found them very pleasant and helpful. There was an issue with one of the family rooms we had booked and this problem was dealt with quickly and professionally.

We found check in to be very quick and painless. The lobby was much as you’d expect in a brand new hotel, very modern, and with plenty of seating. You park in the car park of the shopping centre (you validate the ticket on check out) and then take an elevator to the hotel. I have to say that one of the drawbacks to this hotel is the confusing layout and number of elevators one must take to get to one’s room. In order to get to my room in the tower, I had to take 3 elevators from the car park, or 2 from the lobby (with a long walk down a corridor in-between elevators). Even after two nights, I was still getting lost. I would recommend requesting a room beginning with ‘2’ and near the elevator, this means that one elevator will get you to your room!

The room itself was nice, nothing special, but nice. It wasn’t as spacious as I expected from a new hotel, but it was of adequate size and decorated in muted tones. The bathroom was very attractively decorated with the shower separate to the bath. There were speakers in the bathroom so you could hear the TV, but no screen. There were plenty of toiletries, but only two towels (I like a spare towel to wrap around my wet hair, the hand towels were too small). The main fault of the bathroom was that it was very dimly lit, so much so that I was unable to put on my makeup in the bathroom. The bedroom was also poorly lit, so I had to sit at the desk with the light shining on the mirror to get my makeup on. The room had the normal amenities, safe, fridge, hairdryer, iron and ironing board, but no robes. Although it did have two bottles of complimentary water which I thought was a nice touch. Overall the room was fine, but I felt it was a little bland, they could have taken a few more risks with the décor, as it was, I felt they played it a little safe and the result was a bit ‘blah’.

The bar was nice, there was music the first night and it was quite lively, there is also another seating area if you fancy somewhere a little quieter. The drinks as you would expect are quite expensive and the bar staff are not particularly friendly. The breakfast was a bit hit and miss, the cooked food was very tasty and tasted very fresh considering it was pre-cooked. The continental fare was a bit disappointing as there wasn’t really a huge selection. The layout was a bit haphazard, with the continental selection, juice, coffee machine and the only toaster all in the one small area, so you ended up in a long queue even if you only wanted to grab a coffee.

The restaurant was very good, our price included a 5 course meal and it was very tasty, although the selection was a little limited. The service too was very good, considering they had 3 large parties dining there that night.

I did not use the fitness centre or pool, so can’t really comment on it. A few of the others in our party used it though and enjoyed the pool.

Overall, we had a great weekend, we felt we got good value for money and the hotel itself was nice. Would I stay there again? Probably not, I was not overly impressed by the décor and I was not keen on the fact that it was attached to a shopping centre. I prefer to stay in a hotel with a little more charm and character, but if you are looking for a clean modern room in a central location in Athlone, then you could not go wrong with the Sheraton.

• Liked — Hotel was in a good location, room was nice.
  • Disliked — Confusing layout and too many lifts!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank ncmc
China
Reviewed 30 October 2008

Stayed here with my wife over a long weekend. For a five star hotel it fell short of the standard required. Our room (in the tower) was...well...roomy...and nicely equipped... with fantastic views from a long glass window....but when the temperature dropped outside, the heating inside couldn't cope. We asked for a heater; it never arrived. Also got a bit tired each evening of having to request from room service the small stuff house-keeping had forgotten; soap, tissues, etc.
Breakfast good; evening meal no better than average. The ``Irish'' cheese selection turned out to be chunks of smoked cheddar fresh from the fridge.
Staff all friendly; if not always competent in English. My lasting impression: an expensive, stylish, but chilly hotel.

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank JDROFC
Clare
Reviewed 28 October 2008

This is our second time staying here.
We stayed back at the start of the summer just after the hotel had opened and re booked for a get away week end.

It was just as good as we remembered the pool and the rooms are still fab.
We only had breakfast in the hotel as we went down the town for dinner but it was delicious.

We will definitely be back.

• Liked — big clean rooms
  • Disliked — signage in the car park
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
The West
Reviewed 28 October 2008

We stayed in th Sheraton, Athlone over the bank holiday weekend as part of a group of 8 people, occupying 4 Rooms. In general, the hotel was fine, very clean & centrally located within the town. The rooms were very nice, some with very good views of the Shannon etc. Our first negative comment would have to be on the difficulty of actually finding the hotel once you got into the basemet carpark shared with the Town Centre shopping complex. A few random A4 paper signs sellotaped to columns & walls wereas good as it got.
When you actually got into the hotel, it was very disjointed, in that you couldn't get on one lift & travel between the rooms & the carpark/shops. A journey between our room & the carpark involved 3 lifts & a lot of walking in between, not at all ideal for parents of young children or people of limited mobility.
There seems to be a policy of not replenishing the consumables in the bathrooms of the rooms during a 2 night stay, I have never come across this before, & if it is a policy, its pathetic! On the day after our 1st nights stay, our room was cleaned, shampoo, shower gel, tissues & toilet paper were not replaced despite the fact that they were needed, this was repeated in the rooms of other members of our party also, which signifies that it wasn't an oversight.
We ate in the hotel on one of the nights, and the food was quite good. Breakfast was an altogether different experience! On the first morning, the hotel was very busy as it was the Bank Holiday weekend & there was a wedding the previous day. The experience started with a 10 minute queue to be shown a table, the dining room was far too hot, at a guess 30 degrees. There were far too few waiting staff to deal with a dining room at capacity. When you did manage to collar a waitress to ask about the lack of orange juice, lack of fruit, lack of cup & saucer on your table, the standard line appeared to be " My colleague is getting it" In most cases, that colleague didn't arrive!
They seemed to be totally overwhelmed by the volume of people expecting to be fed which shouldn't be the case as we were all registered guests of the hotel. There were a lot of frustrated patrons airing their views to reception & management staff on Sunday morning.
In summary, while its a nice hotel, well located, we won't be back

• Liked — Central location
  • Disliked — Chaos in the dining room!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed 9 October 2008

Had to go to Athlone recently for the night and decided i would try out the new Sheraton. I was a little worried as it is still a fairly new hotel that there may still be some teething issues. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
Everything was fantastic. Checked in at lunch time and went straight to the lovely open plan bar for lunch. The food was delicious and the service attentive.
After this headed to the spa and availed of their great express treatment deal, 2 mini treatments for €80.00. I got a massage and pedicure and it was just what I needed. The spa is spacious, the relaxation room.. I could have stayed there all day.
The bedrooms are lovely, beds really comfy. The separate bath and shower is great aswell.
What I thought was quite unique was that the audio from the tv can be turned on in the bathroom, so you can listen to your favourite radio show whilst showering!
Staff on reception at both check in and check out were very polite and friendly and efficient.
I enjoyed my stay so much I have already booked by next one!!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
dublin
Reviewed 8 October 2008

A few of us checked in here to explore area for a weekend out as well as shop.Were not sorry on any account, rooms were fantastic and food gorgeous.Shopping in Athlone was magic with great choices. A day trip to Clonmacnoise is a must and not that far away .would recommend anytime.

• Stayed May 2008