“Highly professional, comfortable hotel”
Review of Sheraton Athlone

Sheraton Athlone
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 5 October 2009

Stayed for two nights at conference end of September beginning of October. Having lived near Athlone in the past I was more than surprised with the standard of this relatively new hotel. Facilities excellent including leisure centre, rooms spacious, very clean and great bed and bathroom. Amazingly professional night manager who managed to be on top of everything. Great food and excelled friendly service by a predominantly non national staff. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
marklong1, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2009

Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to say thank you for taking the time to write your review and to say that we do value all feedback from our guests both, positive and negative.

I was delighted to read of your recent stay with us. Our goal is to make sure that all guests feel as though they belong during their time with us and that each visit is a special one.

I do hope that you will decide to stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 October 2009

The car park is shared with a shopping centre which is somewhat unusual though complimentary. The staff are helpful and friendly. We booked a tower room to get to which one needs to go in a lift to the second floor (or use the stairs) then down a walkway to another lift. Whoever thought this was a good arrangement is clearly mad as it was clear that other guests also had similar issues.

The tower rooms were a nice size and clean, with average decorations and furnishings. I would agree that they are cutting corners and not interested in high standards in this place - there was one large and a couple of small stains on the carpet, the sink mixer tap was broken, there was a stain on the bed spread and the mini bar was empty! A stingy supply of towels was provided and they didn't leave any bottled water in the rooms. The beds were however comfortable, the rooms quiet and there was free wireless internet.

We had a meal in the bar which was similarly average. My "madras" was nothing of the sort but more like a red thai curry. A quiche had been overcooked and partly inedible. A drinks order was forgotten about.

Don't be expecting anything of top quality here, this place is pretty average. The management, who are clearly substandard, have had the points that dissatisfy customers pointed out the them in reviews on this site but do nothing about them (this gives you some idea as to their attitude).

Overall, some good and some bad. I note the manager likes to respond to issues raised in reviews (though does nothing about them) and I await the usual customer service drivel: "I have passed your complaint to someone else. please call me to discuss".) Discuss what?!! LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!! They want water in the rooms, they want more towels, they don't like rooms with stains all over the place. It's the attention to these small details that matters.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2009

This is a nice modern hotel. Ideally situated built in the heart of the town with a shopping center built on the same grounds. Great rooms, well equipped and well looked after. Dinner in the restaurant was nice and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
marklong1, Mark Long, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2009

Dear Guest,

I do hope that you will decide to stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 September 2009

I would love to be able to give this hotel a higher rating but unfortunately we had a few problems that were not rectified.We arrived at the weekend and were promptly booked in my the staff on receptionist Room was in Tower up two sets of lifts very confusing. Our Room was huge and gorgeous big bed which was very comfortable but pillows were far too soft. Bathroom was spacious and great shower. We had a lovely meal in Restaurant the staff were very quick and efficient no delays between course. Plentiful selection of food hot nd cold at breakfast and even though the hotel was very busy and Restaurant was packed for breakfast everything was kept topped up and were on the ball getting tea and coffee without us having to wait.Now the reason why I was unhappy. Our key cards wouldnt work we had two go back down to reception down 2 levels on 2 different lifts to get them reactivated this happened on both days believe me this was some trek.On our second day we went out for the day and when we came back our room hadnt been serviced no bed made, no cleaning ,no clean towels for bathroom ,no shower gels etc I told reception that evening and I was told this would be sorted but I went back to the room at 10 that evening and it was still the same someone came in and through 2 clean towels on the bed! never even made it up or took away the dirty towels or replaced the toiletries.This is not the way a hotel of this calibre should operate I was extremely disappointed and it would put me of returning.

• Stayed: September 2009

Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review and to say that we do value your feedback.

I was very concerned to read of your experienced during your stay at our hotel. I am sorry that your room was not serviced and that your room key "timed out".

I have passed on your comments to Grainne O'Sullivan our accommodation manager and I can assure you that I am personnally investigating the matter myself.

If you could contact me directly at the hotel on 0906 45 1000 or by emailing me at mlong@sheratonathlone hotel.com and we can discuss the matter further.

On a positive note I am glad that you enjoyed your dining experiences.

Reviewed 23 August 2009

I stayed here for a function last weekend, while I had trouble finding the place, it was probably my lack of attention rather than signage.

The hotel is right in the centre of things and is as modern and clean as you will find anywhere. I was in a twin room which was spacious and comfortable and the shower was amazing. The hotel was fully booked during my stay but I found the staff to be attentive and efficient.

The breakfast was a bit greasy for my tastes but this is hardly a dealbreaker TBH. Definately recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank nameme
marklong1, general manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2009

Dear Nameme,

It is very much appreciated that you took the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor so that others can be assured of the level of service they will receive when they visit our hotel.

I have passed on your comments in relation to our breakfast to our Head Chef Kevin Ward.

As always if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 17 August 2009

just returned from a 3 day break in the sheraton during13/8/09-15/8/09, nothing but praise for the hotel,location and staff. Excellent spa & Hydrotheraphy pool.
only queue at breakfast is at the self load toaster and coffee machine however a tip to avoid the coffee machine is ask one of the helpful waitresses for a pot of coffee.
check in staff were fab and very helpful and the beds were some of the biggest and most comfortable i have stayed in and i am 6 '5.If you are looking for a good hotel break this is the one for you.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Redhand-traveller

Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our Hotel.

Here at the Sheraton Athlone Hotel, we make it a point to analysis all our guests feedback whether it is good or bad. As it allows us to build on our strengths and look into any issues that may surface.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

If you have any questions or additional comments, please feel free to contact me personally.

Reviewed 17 August 2009

We booked a package for the Sheraton as we were attending a wedding in Athlone - in the Hodson Bay. On arrival found the parking very good. We had used a voucher for booking and this caused some consternation at reception as they had not come across this - Voucher in1@in 1solutions.com, before ..anyway the receptionist dealt with this fine and off we went to our room on the third floor. First impression? not impressive..mirror in bathroom very blemised, window ledge not cleaned, no robes, slippers, face towels or Spa and Pool brochures. Apart from that we had tea/coffee making facilities and everything else. Spouse not impressed that we couldn't access sky sports on the TV..enquired at reception and the only place where we could see the Golf PGA was in the bar which was full of families and lots of children. Not a hope of seeing anything there and the residents lounge hadn't sky! Anyway we had a delicious meal in the restaurant and were quite contented going off to bed around 11. THEN... we had a problem turning off the fan..called reception, a man arrived but he also couldn't turn it off! Manager arrived promptly and offered us a lovely room on the 10th floor with spectacular ceiling to floor windows, terrific view , huge bathroom, clean mirror and very very spacious. he helped us carry all our baggage down to floor two..along a corridor and a lift again up to floor 10! We were told by this very efficient and nice night manager that this room was around €500 a night and he was fairly sure we could have it for the two nights but couldn't guarantee it! Still no robes, slippers , face cloths or SKY access mind you! Anyway the rest of our stay was grand. The staff were really friendly and we had a lovely note from the Manager with an apology the following evening. Breakfast was just average - no WOW factor (no home made brown bread or pastries!! We paid 298 for the two nights and one dinner and it was good value for that. We didn't use the pool or spa facilities though we were given an informative guide to all the facilities by a very nice young man when we went to have a look.We have stayed in better hotels! However full marks for the staff and particularly the Night Duty Manager for his professionalism and helpfulness. The hotel is very central and could be 5 star with a little attention to detail - maintenance and house keeping..a few little touches like bottles of water on arrival in the room might be nice too!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple