“Disappointing accommodation & breakfast, but good spa experience”
Review of Sheraton Athlone

Sheraton Athlone
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 27 February 2010

Stayed for a weekend in February with husband and young child. Evening meal was good, breakfast very diappointing with no option only fry, which, depending on when you arrived to the servery, could be lying there for some time. Asked for an omlette, and told that the chef said he was too busy.

Child attended the kids club, and was pushed from chair back against the wall by another child. When we collected him, he was visibly upset, but the staff said nothing about it, and it was only on returning to the room that we found this out.

Highlight of the trip was visit to the spa which was excellent, due to the very professional staff - Susan in particular. Full marks for that.

Hotel pool was nice, but lack of control on kids jumping into the jacuzzi. When I said it to the pool attendant, he said that he had said it to the kids but that there was nothing he could do about it - but the mother of the offending kids was sitting within 6 feet of him reading her paper!!

Room was very cold, and on ground floor of "tower", and looking onto buildings and a wall, and therefore very dark. Also no soap was provided in the rooms.

2 nights b&b was €430, which I think was very poor value for money, given the accommodation and the very basic breakfast.

Won't be returning in a hurry.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Athlone

Reviewed 22 February 2010

I stayed in the hotel the weekend of the 19th adn 20th of February with a group of girlfriends and the experience from beginning to end was fantastic. My room was spacious & clean and the bathrooms were fabulous! Breakfast served until 11am - fantastic bonus! Staff were friendly and helpful, nothing was a problem. Ate in the restaurant on first night and it was divine. The hotel is situated in the heart of Athlone town, there is a shopping centre (with great shops) right beside the hotel and every place is within walking distance. I would definately return!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 February 2010

recently enjoyed a 3 day break in the hotel ... rooms and hotel were very nice and it very central ...also swimming pool lovely... kids club was great and brian was very good with the kids ...
but the food let the hotel down big time.... in the bar and in the restaurant as we ate in both .. service in the main bar for food was very very slow as we waited 40 mins for 4 sandwiches and not very nice when we got them .... service in restaurant very good but food not good at all very tasteless from starter to dessert.....if our meal was not included in the package i certainly would not have paid for it ..............very disapointing.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2010

I booked the Athlone Sheraton Hotel for a romantic night away with my wife as a post 1st year anniversary surprise. I made a restaurant and spa booking along with a deluxe room and was dealt with efficiently when booking.
We arrived that evening, checked in, got to our room – which was very cold, only to discover that the heating system wasn’t not working (it was actually blowing out cold air?) This was a cold, wet January evening!!! I contacted reception, who informed us that someone would call to assess this compliant.
In the mean-time, my wife contacted the Spa, to change the treatment I made on her behalf (again this was all a surprise to her!!), which after a few minutes of negotiations, it was agreed and changed to her own personal choice of treatment, only to receive a phone call 5mins later from the Spa, to cancel the booking completely? She was very disappointed by this, but didn’t let it ruin the evening, and was looking forward to dinner and evening.
After waiting 20minutes, a manager arrived to assess the heating situation and the only choice we were given was an electric radiator be placed in the room, as a replacement to no heating system?? Seriously?? My wife, at this stage was disappointed and cold. Another 20-30mins passed before the same manager arrived back with a pathetic looking two bar radiator, to warm a big room??? This was the last straw, I contacted reception again to state the room wasn’t warming to a comfortable temperature and wanted a room change – we were told that the manager would contact us regarding this request. Again, after 20/30mins waiting, we received a call from the same manager to say that they would change our room, and contact as soon as this was ready.
Again another waiting game pursued, which followed by another call to reception, we were told again that the manager would call to our room to escort us to the alternative room.
We waited again, but at this stage, we were over 3hours checked in, our dinner reservation was just 30mins away, we had not showered and changed (due to lack of heat!), we were cold, tired, hungry, disappointed and generally felt very annoyed by the way we were treated by the hotel & management. We proceeded to reception, and checked out, which followed by the manager asking we’d reconsider this, but my wife was quite upset and angry at our treatment, and just wanted to go home!!!
This was intended to be a romantic night away for my wife, but turned into a total nightmare.
I will not be returning to this hotel, and my wife who has stayed here previously with work, will not be recommending it as a choice going forward either.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jetro2000
Reviewed 1 February 2010

The Sheraton Athlone is not an attractive hotel, situated in a shoping centre in the middle of the town. Hotels like the Radisson Blu have a much better position. However, don't let the outside deceive. Inside, the hotel is first class. I stayed in a club room, which was huge with the most comfortable bed I've slept in for a while. Plasma screen tv, free wifi, nice toiletteires. Floor to ceiling windows, with a great view of the town and the river Shannon. I treated myself to a spa treatment, which was amazing. Good gym and swimming pool for those wanting to keep fit.
The staff were exceptionally friendly andI didn't feel at all uncomfortable as a lone female in the bar having a drink and a snack in the evening.
The only reason I diidn't give this 5 stars is beacause of its position - 4.5 stars is probably more realistic. If I return on business, would probably stay here again, due to the first class amenities and service

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2010

For New Years Eve 09/10, Myself and my family along with my sister and her family spent 2 nights at the Sheraton Hotel. The Kids had a ball age 10,9 & 7 at the kids club twice a day(free)-great leaders. We had a young baby 1yrs old and both nights we were able to avail of a brilliant Babysitter Amy (new years eve included) for just (10 euro an hour). We attended the Gala ball on New years eve and had a fantastic meal with great entertainment (65 euro per head) The hotel was spotless, most comfy beds, plenty of creams etc in bathroom,Free internet and free computers in lobby for residents use,The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating, Kids really enjoyed the pool, Fantastic breakfast. We will definitely return......When i arrived home i realized i had left my coat behind and they have offered to post it back to me!!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 January 2010

Stayed here in late December for 1 night - did not use the Restaurant or Room Service so can't comment but couldn't fault anything else.
Staff very Friendly in bar and Reception and hotel smack bang in the town centre with free underground Carpark so all in all great stay - only negetive would be that it is a little expensive for a regional town @ €140 for a Double!
Would stay here again!