“Great hotel, helpful staff, excellent food”
Review of Sheraton Athlone

Sheraton Athlone
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Dublin, Ireland
“Great hotel, helpful staff, excellent food”
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I recently stayed here with some friends, as there were 5 of us we booked 1 x twin and 1 x triple room. The regular triple rooms were not available at time of booking but reservations said they would put an extra bed into the room. I was a little dubious about this as we had a bad experience the previous year in Galway when 3 of us were squashed into a tiny room with a small camp bed masquerading as the "extra bed". However, the lady assured me the room was quite large and the bed would be the same size as a normal single bed in the hotel albeit a fold-out. On arrival I decided to ask again if there had been any cancellations of triple rooms, the lady at reception couldn't have been more helpful and although she couldn't accommodate us with the triple room, she went one better and put us all in two family rooms, both had two large double beds, a small living area and large bathroom. When I booked the offer available was for 2 nights B&B + 1 evening meal + €30 voucher per room for any spa treatment over €80. We had our evening meal on the first night and the food was extremely good, we each chose a different dish and no-one was disappointed when the food was presented. The location of the hotel is fantastic especially for a girly weekend, the shopping centre below was a treat. Athlone itself is a really lovely town and I highly recommend the boat trip on the Shannon but a little advice if you go in winter bring your winter woolleys!! If I had anything negative to say it would be that the power in the shower in our bathroom wasn't great and although the spa area was lovely, the facial I had certainly wasn't a good one. However, these are very small problems that can be rectified simply enough, all in all we had a great time both in the Sheraton and in Athlone...we will definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
SheratonGeneralMgr, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this review, 29 January 2011
Dear Guest,

As many of our previous guests have explained to me it is rare that we get to spend time away with our friends for many reasons these days, and as such I was delighted to read that your group of friends enjoyed your stay so much. The rarity of these occasions is one of the reasons that we endeavor to ensure that every guest who stays with us shares a memorable experience.

In particular you mentioned the unique relationship with the Athlone Towncentre Shopping Centre that we are fortunate to offer here in the Sheraton Athlone Hotel. The Premium Club Discounts and the fact that we have a direct entrance to the centre through our Harvest Café receives a lot of positive feedback and has created a regular repeat custom in the hotel with guests who wish to avail of the seasonal sales and offers in the many national and international retail stores.

I am glad that our reservations and front office teams made the effort to take care of all of your needs and have reviewed your comments as part of our customer training modules.

Our leisure break offerings are constantly revised to reflect our guest’s requirements so please stay in touch to avail of future breaks. If you would like to contact me on your return I would be delighted to thank you personally for your kind compliments.

Yours Sincerely,

Johnny O’Sullivan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Dublin
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We arrived at the hotel in the afternoon and wanted something to eat in the hotels restaurant. The main hotel restaurant was not open until later in the evening, we happened to met the GM as there was a wedding taking place and he kindly suggested heading to the bar/seating area where we orered our bar food menu. Both of the Soup starters were cold, the Main course were too large of portions and off-putting while there didnt seem to be any one person looking after the bar/section - there was a wedding on at the time and the hotel is next to a shopping mall - We we assaigned to a 10 floor of the hotel where we had to change lifts from the 2nd floor to walk though to another section of the hotel. The room was cool on arrival and we had the heating on for some time but it was still too cool - The TV was not working the best either with some of the channels missing- we decided to stay in a watch a movie that was on one of the channels we had - The fridge was working and the shower/bathroom was perfectly clean albeit NO slippers for the tiled bathroom floor (A perceived must for a four star hotel) - We decided to order room service just after 12.00 and we looked for some menus but none were in the room - We called the room service and we were advised that onle two types of sandwich were available, one quiche and an apple pie for dessert - we thought that this was a four star hotel and this was unreal - we asked for the sandwiches to be toasted and this was not possible - we then tried to order some french fries and we were advised was not possible BUT we could be transferred to the local chinese outlet where they would deliver the french fries - ITS NO WONDER IRISH HOTELS HAVE SUCH A TERRIBLE REPUTATION - so we declined the suggestion and ordered drinks instead - The tray that the drinks were delivered on was to say the least unclean and it was an old plastic advertising tray (dirty). The only saving grace for this hotel was the Spa rooms - Overall poor value for money for a midweek single stay in a four star hotel -

1 Thank IndobReview
Dear Sir,

Firstly I would like to apologise, on behalf of myself and the team here, that you did not enjoy you time with us as much as you would have hoped. Thank you also for taking the time to review your comments with me after your check out.

I have passed on your compliments to our therapists in Sirana Spa, who have been receiving a huge amount of positive feeback in relation to the therapies provided and the unique surroundings of our urban spa.

Our Management and Bar Teams have been holding regular training and operational sessions in order to improve the service offering based on your feedback and I hope you will see a great improvement should you choose to return.

As I mentioned I have appointed a member of our senior management team to work as a member of the nights team for the past number of weeks in order to carry out a full review of the standards and service quality being offered. While there are areas such as the availability of Fries which prove a health and safety risk due to having a deep fat fryer switched on and unmonitored, our team have been retrained to be aware that while they were endeavoring to look after your needs, offering to order a delivery was not the appropriate solution, and that an alternative offering should have been made from our inhouse offering.

As we discussed I have taken account of all of your feedback and am genuinely appreciative to receive it, and where possible I will implement changes in standards in response to your suggestions.

Yours Sincerely,

Johnny O'Sullivan,
County Mayo, Ireland
Reviewed 1 January 2011

Hotel was lovely - as described!
Only issue I would have is with the bedlinen and quilts - the beds weren't so well made and the quilts were light, however this wasn't a dealbreaker by any means -the room was comfortable and clean, temperature control in room a huge plus, good TV, helpful staff, great location. Pool area was lovely too - the lighting could have been a little less severe there, but I'm just splitting hairs!

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend - all I would say is make sure you shop around for the best deal as I found rates varied hugely from site to site.

Ireland
Reviewed 15 December 2010

The decor was great, the bed was huge. didn't get the chance to go to the spa or leisure centre as I was too tired to get up (as I was in the resident bar till 5am!)

Attended a xmas party event, the food was great and the service was fantastic. All members of staff were kind and courteous.

The hotel could not be in a more central location, based in a shopping centre - ask them at the desk for the discount card to go shopping.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 December 2010

This was our first visit to the Sheraton Athlone and we were very impressed.
Our room was spacious and well equipped and we really enjoyed using the leisure centre with all its facilities. Our meals were served in the really impressive dining room, where the food was excellent and the service friendly and efficient.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Stayed here for one night for a conference the next day. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. The room was FAB with lovely touches. The only negative I would have is the beds were poorly made. The bathroom is lovely and large. Overall I was very pleased.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Dublin
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Attended a wedding in this hotel back in October. We ended up staying for the weekend and i must say i was delighted that we did.

It was a little confusing to find hotel car park but once we did the car was parked up for the weekend. Checking in to hotel was a breeze and we checked into a room on the 3rd floor, the room had everything that you would expect in a modern hotel. Great to have the seperate bath and shower which isnt very commen place in Irish hotels.

The first night we stayed we were attending a wedding. I must say we had a fantastic experience. As me and my partner are newly weds we are fairly in tune with what is going on. The main banquet room is beautiful with really impressive lighting and it created a really warm atmopshere. The meal was tasty and the roast beef was the best i have had at a wedding, ever!. Service was effficent and staff were very friendly and attentitive.

The next morning we went down for breakfast a little less worse for wear. We were met by a vey friendly man who showed us to our seats. The breakfast had a good selection and the food was hot from the buffet.

That night we met up with wedding party and stayed in the hotel for the evening. The music in the bar was great. There was a one man band who was great craic and we ate their also and found the food again to be of good quality and resonably priced.

We really had a great weekend and i think this hotel is a fabolous location for a wedding. I know from speaking to my mates that they thought the same. Also i have to mention how friendly the staff were and they all seemed to enjoy their jobs.

We are planning to go back in the new year as we didnt really get to avail of the shopping centre which is in the same development and to visit the spa in the hotel. Athlone seems to be a busy town with plenty to do in it and around the area. This hotel seems to be very busy and i can see why!

The added bonus is its location as we only had to drive 1hr up the road and we were back in Lucan. Well done to the Sheraton Athlone and keep doing what you are doing.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple