“Average experience”
Review of Thyme Restaurant

Thyme Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 121 Restaurants in Athlone
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

I have already reviewed this restaurant but the owner contacted me by email and asked to remove my review because he didn’t like it.. I removed it and spent two days wondering why I did!!
I stated that the restaurant itself looked tired... it did look tired with paint falling off the outside of the front of the building!
I also said the staff were preoccupied chatting to each other huddled in the corner where their small bar is located.. and guess what?? They were and when they weren’t the service was abrupt.
I also mentioned that the kids meal was outstanding, probably the best I’ve seen.
Our own meal was average. It was. Good food but nothing special.
I’d heard so much about this restaurant I really expected to be blown away. I wasn’t.
This was an average meal in a tired dinning room. My review is here to stay. I hope it helps fellow dinners make a more informed choice when dining in Athlone.

3  Thank karl p
Tbjc, Owner at Thyme Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Hi Karl,

I would like to apologise again that you did not enjoy your experience with us. I asked you to remove the review and asked what date you were in our restaurant so that I could look into the matter further. I never said I "didn't like" it (not that I do, as I said to you already we take great pride in what we do!)
Our building was painted in October 2017. There had been extensive building work carried out both in Athlone and the building next door to our restaurant since December 2017 (as a matter of fact the front of our restaurant was indeed a building site from December 2017 up until May 2018). Thank you for bringing it to my attention that we may need to look at doing it again prematurely.

I am sorry that you did not get the service that you should of, it's something that I will investigate further. Delighted that your kids meal was outstanding and it's an awful pity that we didn't blow you away. Maybe next time, as I stated in my email to you I would hope that you will try us again some day,

Kind Regards,
John Coffey

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

Found it by chance but glad we did. Excellent food & service and very friendly in the typical Irish way. Well worth a visit.

1  Thank William C
Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

Receptionist at the prince if wales hotel phoned the restaurant for us as they were about to close for the evening. Well they accommodated myself and friend and took care of us for the evening like we were celebrities. We had the 2course menu for €24. We shared starter and desert. The food is just incredible. The presentation I have never experienced before. Looked too nice to eat. Wine also beautiful and very reasonably priced. Can't say enough about this restaurant. Thank you all for a wonderful evening. Can't wait to visit again.

Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

This is the best starter I ate so far.
Just feel like in heaven ,wonderful meals.
I absolutely will come back again.

1  Thank O7525YCchristinec
Reviewed 8 June 2018 via mobile

Great value menu.Ham hock delicious and beef would melt in your mouth.Staff were excellent service excellent with a smile.Ambiance was cosy and comfy.I will be back again.