“Lovely Gastro pub in the Country”

The Fatted Calf Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 107 Restaurants in Athlone
Price range: US$24 - US$32
Cuisines: Irish, International, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: At The Fatted Calf Restaurant, our mission is to source and forage the best of local, Irish artisan produce, which we cook and serve on seasonal menus to our customers. All of our wines come from small, family producers from Wines Direct, Liberty Wines and Tindal Wines, our grass fed dry aged beef is supplied by John Stone Fine Foods.
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stopped here for a late lunch on Saturday, we were not disappointed, it feels like what a country pub should be but what you seldom find. They have a very extensive menu for lunch with specials on a blackboard, we didn't have starters but had the burger and a prawn dish, both were delicious and perfectly presented, we had one dessert and it was with fresh rhubarb - the rhubarb was slightly undercooked and it could have done with more custard, but their coffee is excellent. I would definitely come back here again, there is car parking at the back and a lot of tables outside in a garden for when the weather is better, no disabled toilet however one of the cubicles in the ladies has grab rails. The staff were friendly and attentive without being over powering.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We had lunch in the Fatted Calf twice (in three days) during our time in the area.

Pretty much everything on the menu sounds delicious, and all the dishes we had demonstrated great quality of ingredients and attention to detail, from bacon ribs to chowder, burgers, mussels and soup everything we ate was well received. It was nice to see Irish craft beers on offer too. I didn't see the wine list.

Our kids were well treated too, with freshly prepared chicken goujons and plenty of blackberry cordial. They also enjoyed running around the large garden out the back - which would be a nice place to eat on a good summer's day.

For all this, the prices are very reasonable and the service was friendly.

I'll be back to try the rest of the menu.

Tip: the car park is fairly small and can get busy when several cars are trying to get in and out, so try to park facing out.

1  Thank coalshed
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Glasson is a very pretty village and from the front of the building The Fatted Calf promises to have an old world cosy atmosphere. However , for me , the interior is most unattractive , lacks any charm , old world or otherwise and the toilets have a 1960 ' s feel to them - though are perfectly hygienic at the same time.
I only mention all this because I feel that the food in this restaurant deserves a much better venue. I have enjoyed many tasty and flavoursome lunches and early evening meals here and the staff are extremely pleasant and obliging.
So, For me The Fatted Calf is missing out on a certain customer who likes to have a nice ambience in which to savour tasty food and enjoy the company of friends.

3  Thank Mary C
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Proper Job on draught, which is a big plus for me. Good steaks, I'm not really into haute cuisine so it's wasted on me. It's a nice pub with a friendly atmosphere, i always enjoy a night here, they have some good Irish bottled beers too!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

The Fatted Calf is about 10 km from athlone and is well worth the visit food is very goog and staff very nice and look after Children menu