“Stylish Food”

Ranked #12 of 103 Restaurants in Athlone
Price range: US$24 - US$32
Cuisines: Irish, International, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: At The Fatted Calf Restaurant, our mission is to source and forage the best of local, Irish artisan produce, which we cook and serve on seasonal menus to our customers. All of our wines come from small, family producers from Wines Direct, Liberty Wines and Tindal Wines, our grass fed dry aged beef is supplied by John Stone Fine Foods.
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We have heard great reviews about this very well known pub/restaurant and took a detour on the trip from Dublin to Galway for lunch. The food was really well presented and aesthetically beautiful, unfortunately a little bland to taste and covered in garden peas.Waiting staff very accommodating. Vibrant atmosphere in the restaurant and Glasson lovely village.

1  Thank cavanlad
There are newer reviews for The Fatted Calf Restaurant

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Above standard Sunday lunch and reasonably priced. All food well seasoned and excellently cooked. Lovely staff. Even though it was full it was comfortable and airy. Have visited most of the well known places in a 30 mile radius and this has been by far the best on all counts.Well worth a visit and no hesitation in recommending it

1  Thank Ratchm
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I very rarely contribute to tripadvisor but felt I really had to on this occasion.
I first visited this restaurant some six months ago and was really impressed. I revisited last week and I have to say that all my expectations were met and even exceeded.
This is one of the finest restaurants I have ever been in. The staff are attentive, friendly and efficient., the atmosphere is cosy, olde worldly and the whole premises was buzzing without seeming full (which it was).
Above all, the food was excellent. Congratulations and thanks to all at the Fatted Calf. I look forward to my next visit!

2  Thank wexfordwhite
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Have eaten here a few times, I always have a steak which is invariably good quality beef and well-cooked.. My wife tends to try the fish menu which is never much good (Athlone is a disaster for fresh fish.) The service is good, the staff friendly and helpful. The vegetable portions are very meagre, and my steak always arrives perched on top of a bed of semi-cooked onions with drizzled stuff in artistic lines across the plate, some kind of trendy tv chef crap which I hate. The bar has the usual mix of tasteless lagers, Guinness and Smithwicks. On the plus side they do stock some decent bottled Irish beers, including Galway Bay and O'Haras. I think 28 quid for a steak is a little pricey considering you don't get much in the way of veg with it. The restaurant is roomy, airy and comfortable, there's a big screen showing any sport that's on, and the atmosphere is convivial and welcoming.

4  Thank archwaygunner
FattedCalfManager, Owner at The Fatted Calf Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback, glad to hear you enjoyed your steak, but we are a little surprised at your comments about our fish, we don't have a specific fish menu, but do have a selection of fish starters and main courses, including a seafood platter, which includes, John Dory, King scallops, mussels, clams, crab claws and Dublin Bay prawns. The "trendy tv chef crap stuff" which you hate can easily be left from your plate, if required, and just to set the record straight, the mix of "tasteless beers" also includes on draught, Cork's Franciscan Well Rebel Red, Howling Gale Pale Ale and Eight Degrees Barefoot Bohemian Pilsner, not mentioning the ever growing selection of Irish Artisan bottled beers and ciders. €28 for a 10oz "not mentioned" fillet steak is a reasonable price for 30 day dry aged Irish beef, every table is checked and it is never a problem to get extra vegetables or potatoes if required. Delighted you enjoy our convivial and welcoming gastropub.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The good is great - the menu is extensive and changes regularly - depending on what's in season. Really enjoyable evening.