“Lunch Time bites”

Ranked #14 of 109 Restaurants in Athlone
Price range: US$25 - US$33
Cuisines: Irish, International, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: At The Fatted Calf Restaurant, our mission is to source and forage the best of local, Irish artisan produce, which we cook and serve on seasonal menus to our customers. All of our wines come from small, family producers from Wines Direct, Liberty Wines and Tindal Wines, our grass fed dry aged beef is supplied by John Stone Fine Foods.
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I've eaten lunches here on a number of occasions and it cannot be faulted. The menu is delicious and inventive and the atmosphere is very relaxing and convivial. I also love that the menu changes on a regular basis so there is always something new to try. Definetely one of the best places to eat in the Midlands.

2  Thank maureend92014

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Beware because you pass by kitchen window from back car park if using front entrance as chef and others in kitchen throw angry looks out the window. Must have taught i using car park and going elsewhere not impressed.

12  Thank catherine b
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I ate at The Fatted Calf last night and it was wonderful. We were just driving through Glasson and liked the look of it.

We had no reservation and were invited to sit up at the bar while we waited. The bar is lovely and cosy. Beer and pinot grigio were very welcome and it was almost a pity we were only waiting 10 minutes.

The menu was lovely and then our cheery and funny waitress Annie threw the cat amongst the pigeons with the specials. They sounded fab and narrowing down the options was the main challenge.

We had a starter for two; baked camembert. It was gorgeous and beautifully presented. Annette had duck from the specials board for main course and it was delicious. Lovely presentation on a big blue plate. Looked great. I had one of the specials too; a bone in rib-eye steak. The best steak I've ever had was in a steakhouse in Las Vegas..... Until last night. It was amazing. Medium rare and packed with flavour. The stuff that dreams are made of. All the while, the service was quick and very friendly.

The desert maintained the standard. Annette had a meringue and I had jelly and ice cream. It takes a special place to take the things we all know and lift them into something fantastic. The 'jelly and ice cream' was light and tasty, just what I needed after the meat feast that went before it.

A café bon bon, which I can only describe as a grenade in a tiny glass, finished the whole thing with panache.

I don't really want to lower the tone by mentioning the bill, but we had all the bells and whistles with our meal, a few beers at the start and a great bottle of red. I was pleasantly surprised by the bill. It is much better value than some of the alternatives in the area.

In summary then, the atmosphere makes The Fatted Calf very relaxing, the staff make it inviting, the food makes it very memorable and one thing is for certain; the next time we're there, it won't be by chance.

1  Thank Boumticlad
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We have been to The Fatted Calf many times because we love the food and know we can expect quality.
They change the menu at least once a season and have specials, a wonderful early bird and bar snacks.
Almost everything we have ordered has been delicious, sometimes outstandingly so.
I am a vegetarian and there is always something on the menu for me - they have even made me things on request.
They also offer all main courses as half-portions for children which is amazing as your kids can have a nice steak or try something different to the usual chicken nugget stuff some restaurants put on children's menus.
We brought a visitor from another country here a few weeks ago, and he said it was the best meal he had had in Ireland!
The service is great and the staff friendly. Now, It is more expensive that your average pub, even though it is a 'pub' but the food is high-quality gastropub fare. It is worth it for a treat, especially at lunch when you can actually get out of there for around 10 euro a head for a lovely meal. Amazing soups and sandwiches.
Good atmosphere. Lots of good seating outside in the back.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

The food here is excellent, well presented and a very reasonably priced lunch menu. My only complaint is it's too far from home (80 miles) I recommend it to anyone I know is passing through Glasson.

1  Thank Kathryn M