“Great Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Stayed for two nights,on city deal break. Sunday Monday. From the moment we arrived Staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. Reception, Room, Food and Bar were all excellent. Unfortunately restaurant wasn't open and food was served in the bar which was fine. Very reasonably priced in all areas. Thanks to all for a great break. We will be back.

Ann & George Monks

Room Tip: Our room was spotless clean with double glazing over looking new shopping centre, alittle noisey wit...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Prince-WalesHotel, General Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
Thanks very much for you kind words. We're delighted you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Regards,
Chris Vos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Dublin
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Plus's:
Located right on the main street in Athlone
Staff very helpful and friendly
Bar very nicely decorated and lively
Free into downstairs nightclub for hotel guests

Negative's:
The air-conditioning in the room was broken so it was an uncomforatable 26 degrees celcius for the whole weekend.
Dinner in the restaurant was very poor - 3 unfussy people did not finish any of the 3 courses served (garlic mushrooms not cooked, veg had the consistency of baby food, banoffee with no bananas etc). No atmosphere either.
Breakfast in bed was not as ordered (got a full Irish instead of a veggie breakfast)

I would stay here again if the air-conditioning was working in the rooms but I would avoid the restaurant at all costs (the bar food looked much nicer!).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
ireland.
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Very modern inside. Perfect location, beside town centre shopping centre. So close to the river for great walks. Free parking.
Would visit again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We had package deal for this hotel 1 night B&B and Dinner. Its a great location, right in the centre of town with good car parking- free top residents. The foyer is very spacious and the bar is a real find. Although the hotel is a new build, on the site of a much older hotel, there is a real 1930's feel to both bar and foyer.
Our dinner was really good. It was served in the bar, great food and attentive service.
Room was a good size , with TV, Iron, Kettle, etc. Good size bath room with nice toiletries.
Breakfast stole the show. A choice of juices, water, cereals, cheese, smoked salmon , breads were laid out buffet style. Full Irish was freshly cooked and generous. Only one small niggle. A hoover is needed in the lift! Will be back!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Maldesu
nat666
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Stayed here last weekend. From start to finish a lovely enjoyable stay. Reception staff efficient and welcoming. Room modern and clean. Had dinner in restaurant which was just devine. Bar was lively and breakfast the next morning was delicious with buffet for cereals etc but full irish served to you at the table. Athlone is a great town-very lively. Hotel is right in the centre of the town. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definately return.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Noepe
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I can't think of a reason anyone would stay here, other than to crash after a night in the nightclub downstairs.

I was NOT happy.

I had made my reservation weeks before and booked a smoking room. The reservation was confirmed. Not until we arrived was I told that the hotel had gone non-smoking three months prior and that the website had not been updated. Not happy. But, as a late arrival after a long ride, what is one to do? Suck it up.

And it did.

The first clue should have been the packing tape over the elevator button in the lobby. We should have stopped there. Oh, but no....

... we continued up to our floor, down ill light hallways, across poorly cleaned carpeting.

Upon entering the room it is quite apparent why the hotel had gone non-smoking. Apparently, many of the prior guests in the room had attempted to burn down the buidling with lit cigarettes. There were burn marks on the tables, carpets, chairs, etc. Sorry, but if you're going to charge me a €200 fee for smoking in the room, I would think that management had previously charged for damages to the room and should have replaced the furniture. Ah.... no. Any any cleaning fee would apparently go elsewhere, as cleaning is very obviously not a high priority. After finding a hair in my bedding and in the shower, my travelling companion and I attacked the room with cleaning wipes. (Yes, I'm that kind of person). I've very rarely needed to use cleaning wipes in a room before, but was very, very glad I had them. Well, maybe not....

After wiping down most of the useable surfaces in the room, I was particularly horrified by the amount of very visible filth I removed from the padded headboard. You know, the place where your own precious head will rest? Disgusting. I would assume that most was tobacco residue (and probably some hair oil), but it was an obvious sign that the room had not been properly cleaned in at least three months.

Not enough? The carpets were radomly stained, as was the wallpaper in the room. (I took photos which I am too lazy to load.... sorry... gotta take my word on this one). Seriously gross. Had it been any earlier at all, we would have been out of there.

Morning arrived and we discovered that our room had a particulary unsettling view of a littered roof below and the adjacent seemingly abandoned barred building. It was like being in jail. I've never checked out of a room so fast in my life. And I must say, overall, the place had a horrible feel to it. I can't put my finger on it, but my friend felt exactly the same way.

We did stop for breakfast as we had paid for it, but would have done better with an egg sandwich from Tesco. The buffet looked pitiful, and the cooked breakfast was one step up from inedible. The only upside was the satisfaction of finding that I wasn't the only deceived guest there -- a recovering hen party was seated nearby, unhappily complaining about the misadvertised smoking accomodations.

The upside? The staff tired hard. I actually felt sorry for them. It's the management that should be taken out and flogged. The Prince of Wales is so utterly mismanaged and is obviously a black hole of income for whomever is sucking the life out of the place. Best of luck to the staff... keep your chins up, keep your paychecks, and keep a lookout for alternative employment. This place is in a death spiral.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank BieneB
wicklow
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I stayed here for 1 night with a group of friends. We were over in the town to play golf. I have to say that from the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we were looked after very well. Location is excellent. Food was very good. Rooms, spotless, warm and comfortable. Will be back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank 2red
dubdutch, General Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2011
Dear 2red,
Thanks very much for your kind review. We're delighted you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to looking after you again when you return to Athlone.
Regards,