“Great value for money”

The Prince of Wales Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Call the hotel direct for rates as they offer good rates rather than mess about booking on the net. Excellent showers. All the live skysports in the bar. Slightly short staffed in the bar area, but not too bad as they aknowledge you, which is all we want initially. Great value and better than hotels in area. Free parking too.

• Stayed: August 2011
dubdutch, Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2011

Dear Sid-Roastie,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip adviser in relation to your recent stay in The Prince of Wales.

I appreciate your comments regarding our great value. In the current climate we are constantly reviewing our rates and do our best to offer good value. I will review our rostering but thankfully our bar staff acknowledged you which is very important to us.

We hope to welcome you back to The Prince of Wales in the not too distant future.

Regards,
Manager

Reviewed 15 August 2011

Myself and my wife stayed for 1 nite using a livingsocial voucher .For this we got 1 glass of Champayne ,1 glass of wine a 2 course meal and bed and breakfast for €79 total, unreal value .Hotel was nice,room was nice with big bed and massive shower.staff very friendly .Did some shopping in nearby shopping centre and after our meal we drank in the bar where there was A DJ .My wife enjoyed some coctails at the bar and we had a great nite.We would plan to stay here again as its only 1 hour car journey for us.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2011

thank you for making our stay in your hotel so nice . the staff were fab and so friendly and we realy enjoyed the breakfast . We will be back again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We got to stay at the POW by way of a voucher deal and I was half expecting to not be given the same service as everyone else.... how wrong I was. First off the staff are fantastic cant do enough. we had two babies and they were very helpful with everything from food to sleeping arrangments. The hotel is great family rooms are massive. Theres not too much outside noise even though its on a mian street of a busy town. If you dont want noise youve to close the windows otherwise youll get the full brunt. The lift is not massive but the foyer has a lovely fountain internet access and papers. Theres shops on your doorstep, the castle is about 5 mins walk away and theres an hour long river cruise for €10 per adult and kids free. Theres plenty of shopping and eating to be done. Back to the hotel. The rooms are great, double sink, double shower with massaging heads, one pity our room had no aircon but had a fan thank god, other rooms may have air con but not ours. food is great and according to the hubby not a bad pint of heiniken either ( my cpat morgans was yum). Our room was ideal for kids as the room was huge and little man ran around most of the night. The rooms also had a dvd player, it was a godsend. Wifi is included and super fast. Brakfast is a choice of fry up, french bread, fruit croissant etc etc great value great hotel will definatley go back.

Room Tip: Rm 201 massive not too near the road spotless clean
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Fantastic welcome by new manager who met us on arrival as we prepared for our charity event tomorrow morning starting off from the town hall and civic centre right across the road from the centrally located hotel.
Hopefully judging by our reception this will be the start of an annual event
WE WILL BE BACK

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I booked into the Prince of Wales late one night and was greeted by friendly staff that couldnt have been more helpful.
The room was clean and nicely decorated in muted tones, with a comfortable double bed that had a brown leather headboard.
The bathroom was even better and had the best power shower I have ever had the pleasure to use.
You dont really get a view staying in the Prince but I didnt feel I needed it being quite happy with the room itself and I had the television to amuse myself if I needed to look at something.
Inside the wall unit there were facilities for making tea and coffee as well as an ironing board and iron.

There was a great choice at breakfast.
Guests could serve themselves from a selection of breads, cereals, fresh fruit , yoghurt, cheese and even some smoked salmon from a self service counter to start with.
I had a small Irish breakfast on my second morning and was pleased with the quality of the ingredients and with the way they were cooked and served.
It looked like they were using good quality local ingreedients.
On the first morning I had the pancakes but they were heavier and dryer than I would have liked, the Irish breakfast was definitely the better choice.
The price for staying at the beginning of the week was quite reasonable and the hotel was busy.
On the way down in the lift on the first day one of the other guests commented to me that it was a lovely hotel and was very reasonable for the standard it was offering.
The atmosphere was good in the hotel and anyone I dealt with was very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Padraic W, Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2011

Dear Guest,
On behalf of the management and staff here in The Prince Of Wales hotel I would like to thank you sincerely for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay.
I was delighted with your opinion of our staff, bedroom facilities and bathrooms.
We continually strive to improve all of our products on offer and are constantly trying new items on our breakfast selection.We currently have a fairly new kitchen team in place and we are very proud that we homebake our breads pastrys and all of our breakfasts are cooked fresh.We do our utmost to source local produce whenever possible.
Hopefully we will see you again in the near future and again thank you for your positive feedback.

Reviewed 12 August 2011

A group of friends recently stayed at this hotel. Unfortunately we had a berevament and some of the party had to cancel last minute, there was absolutely no problem with this the staff accommodated us in every way they could and even put a bottle of bubbly in my daughters room (she was the bride to be) to make up for the events that had overtaken her weekend. Food, staff, rooms couldnt be faulted.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Padraic W, Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you choosing to stay in the Prince of Wales hotel and for your recent review of your experience.
Again our condolences regarding the bereveament .I was delighted to read that you and your group had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone in the near future.