“Great Service”

The Prince of Wales Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Just back from a weekend in the Prince of Wales Athlone with a group of golfers. Have to say fantastic service at reception in the restaurant and in the bar , Restored my faith in Irish hospitality

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Harry R
Padraic W, Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review.

You and your fellow golfers were a pleasure to deal with. We strive to get the good old "Céad Míle Fáilte" welcome across to all our guests and I was delighted to see you noticed.

Hopefully see you next year.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed here last nite for a party,we had booked a double room for me and husband,on our arrival the staff at desk were so nice than we got to our room and the room was fab,big and spacious was well impressed with it.room was cosy and warm and bathroom was huge 2 sinks and bath and shower we were well impressed at the room for the cost of it.

Stayed: April 2012

Dear Pauline,

Thank you for your recent stay and submitting a review of same.

We pride ourselves on our facilities and staff. We are delighted that you found our rooms of a high standard.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Prince of Wales.

Reviewed 28 April 2012

Id like to thank all the guys at the Prince for such a welcomeing stay for my first ever visit to the wonderful courtry and Athlone with such great people and sites which I wiched I'd had more time to explore.
To arrive with St P day in first few days was good to see a National Pride,
The Hotel staff etc were like family by the time i'd been there a week or two
Recption were attentive and always wanting to go the extra mile, even trying to move me to a more relaxing room cheers Debbie!!! and thanks for making me laugh when Id started to use local slang within few days.
Breakfast was my best time of the day not just the quality of the food but the attentiveness of people like Melisa and others I sadly cant remember there names, cheers for makin my days bright cheerful and what ever I ordered was fresh and wholesome, love the spring onion garnish on the food I was presented, Chef Kevin I belive(sadly im now a size larger )
Bar staff and Food superb just the right portions and price, with the meals guys cheers for making my stay relaxing.
Lunch I was always at work so never had the pleasure and people told me they used it as their watering hole for lunch was like being at home
Cheers to the guys behind the scenes that do the washing up, preping the food and cleaning the rooms
As I was working far from home in the UK I can safely say Padriac the guys in your team made me feel well at home and not want to go home, spoilt me rotten.
All our guys staying here while working in Athlone have said the same
"YOU WILL LOVE THE HOTEL"
Miss you all guys hope to see you soon
Regards John Evenden (Rev.)

Room Tip: go for the back rooms as they are queiter than the front when night club or bar open late. they are...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Dear John,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us.

I think everyone misses their chats with you on the quiet evenings. We try our best to make people feel at home here and I am delighted we succeeded with you.

Hopefully we will see you again.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

We stayed at the Prince of Wales Hotel for 2 nights . We found the staff to be very friendly and helpfull. The room was very pleasent and quite . The breakfast was lovely and we also had dinner in the bar which had a wide choice of a menu. We will be back for sure and really looking forward to going back. The town was very friendly and people were very pleasent and lots of little shops to visit.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely review.

We are delight to see you enjoyed your stay. We listen to all feedback and do our best to action any comments or observations by our guests.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Prince of Wales & Athlone soon.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night in April. Internet booking was cheap and easy. There was no information on car parking on the website so I had to ring the staff. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful. I had the same experience when I checked it - staff were pleasant and helpful. Despite the good rate that I got on booking the hotel looked to be very busy. Well done to the hotel for not over charging when a lot of people staying.
The hotel room was nice - clean and comfortable (though not luxurious) Like another reviewer stated rooms were well sound proofed and sleep wasnt disturbed by other guests after wedding/golf night out. We were also worried when we saw there was a disco down stairs but not a sound could be heard from the room.
I missed breakfast the next morning but didnt have brunch in the bar which was good and reasonably priced.
I would stay again in this hotel as it has a great central location, nice staff and good rooms.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review.

Thank you very much for pointing out to us about our car-park. I was not aware of it and it has now being rectified on our website. We generally keep our rates as reasonable as possible and we do reap the reward of having a busy hotel.

A lot of people believe that the hotel will be very loud due to the night-club but fortunately the owners has invested heavily in sound proofing, of course we do have the normal noises associated with being in the center of the town.

Again we were very happy to see you enjoyed your stay and please contact me directly on your next visit so I can upgrade you to a more luxurious room at manager@theprinceofwales.ie

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Athlone and the Prince of Wales.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Recently returned from a mid week break at the Prince of Wales, our third. The hotel was as good and the staff as friendly as ever. We had a front room this time with a nice view of the church. The sound proofing was excellent so there was no traffic noise. A nice feature of the room was a low level light beside the en-suite door- very useful at night for old and young! The breakfasts were as good as ever and we had all our evening meals in the Prince bar, the food not only tasted terrific but the presentation was excellent.
Athlone is a lovely old town with very nice riverside walks, but is also good touring centre, we went to Galway one day and explored around Louhg Derg on another one.
We would realy recommend a stay here.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Have recently stayed at prince of wales hotel and were well looked after by all the staff who were excellent ,rooms were very comfortable and clean, food was excellent and was very reasonable as were the drinks in the bar. Will be staing at prin of wales any time we are visiting Athlone,and would highly recommend this hotel to anybody visiting athlone.

couple from Dublin

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

It is great to see that you enjoyed your stay and more important that you will be back to us.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Midlands and The Prince of Wales in the near future.