“Good location”

The Prince of Wales Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 16 May 2012

A business hotel in the centre of town. Room were big and very comfortable. Quiet location. The lift was broken but we had a very charming apology left on our bed, a nice touch. Excellent breakfast.

Why did football have to be in every corner of the bar? Surely one corner can be kept for intelligent people?

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Padraic W, Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent review.

We were delighted to see you enjoyed your stay and again apologies regarding the life being out of order. It is a good point in relation to the football on all the televisions. We do have an upstairs bar without any televisions so I should include that in our guest directory.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Prince of Wales.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed there last weekend for just one night, but I was sorry that I could not have stayed there a little longer.
From the moment we entered the building we were made feel welcome.
The girl on reception was very cheerful and bubbly and professional all in one.
Our room was everything we wanted, and was very clean and warm and well laid out.
The beds were very comfortable and we slept like logs.
We only ate in the bar, but the food was lovely and the portions were very decent.
Checking out was a breeze, and we were given discount tokens for a return stay. The car parking is free to guests also.
The hotel is situated as centrally as you can get in Athlone, and is an excellent starting point for exploring the town on foot.
In short, we had an excellent experience in the hotel, and for the money we paid, we felt we definitely got good value.
We will be back!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Fireballs
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Stayed here just this weekend (5th May) for a 1st Wedding Anniversary. Sorry to say it wasn't an experience reflected by others who have had a good time here. I would like to note that the Reception staff are friendly, but unfortunately this warmth was not repeated throughout the hotel. The room was very poky, not four star standard. When we went to reserve dinner to have in the restaurant we were informed that due to a few hen parties our meal would be had in the bar (which was fine) and that a table in a corner with a cloth etc would be provided. No such service transpired. We were placed under a loud TV showing a football game. Also there was no smile of any (bar 2) members of staff. No one checked as to how are meal was (which was not of high standard). We felt as if were an inconvience to the bar staff by having our meal there! It is evident that they cater very much for the" Big" groups and can put on a spread if you happen to be one of those, However for a personal touch and the extra little bit it just wasn't there.

As a trainer who books hotels for conferences I would not be encouraged to choose the Prince of Wales. Neither would I for any personal use.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John W

Dear Louise & John,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your review but I wanted to wait until I contacted you in person.

I hope following our telephone conversation today that you have accepted our apologies for our shortfall on your recent stay and as discussed we hopefully will be welcoming you back for an enjoyable belated wedding anniversary.

As said please contact me directly by email or on my mobile.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 3 May 2012 via mobile

I'm not sure where to start with this hotel, it was an absolutely excellent venue for my cousins hen. From beginning to end the hotel made it an unforgettable day and night!

First off we arrived all 23 of us to the foyer of the hotel for a champagne reception (which was very reasonably priced) where they had the area reserved for us and even balloons for decor. It was gorgeous. Check in was fast and easy, for 23 people with double, single and triple rooms. It was a breeze.
Our boat tour up the Shannon was next, the boat was only 5 minutes walk from the hotel. The boat was great craic. There was a dj and a bar and also champagne on arrival. I expected the bar to be expensive on the boat but it was very reasonable! Cheaper than my local :) the hen wanted her picture taken with the skipper and there was no problem! Even another girl left her jacket on the boat and the skipper delivered it to the hotel. A great service, and great fun.
After the boat tour we had time to get ready before our cocktail making lesson which has to be seen to be believed, everyone is given there own station with plenty of alcohol and mixers and talked through making three fabulous cocktails, and then the hard part was drinking them :)
We then went straight in for a four course meal that everyone thoroughly enjoyed. There was something for everyone on the menu. I also must comment on the extras that come with the meal that most hen party's get flustered about, the wine etc.. When I went to pay the drinks bill after the meal I was expecting a massive bill but was pleasantly surprised at the competitive prices in the restaurant. Fare play to the hotel for that.
Our night continued in the prince bar where we had a reserved area which was great to keep us all together. The atmosphere was great, and the music was even better! On we went to karma nightclub where we were really treated like VIP's with comfortable couches and tables in a reserved area.
For the few of us that were still able we made it to the residence bar where there was still plenty of craic to be had, and our arrived trays of sandwiches. Everyone was chuffed.
Breakfast the next morning was lovely, plenty of everything, and fresh!
All in all it was a fabulous hen party and I couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough. It has everything you need all under the one roof. We have all been on hens, where we have been split up traipsing from pub to pub but there was none of that with the prince of wales. Everything was there for us. Fare play to all the staff, they work very hard to make these days/nights special and are very pleasant to deal with.
Our whole package per head was only €145 this included the boat cruise, the cocktail making lesson, the dinner, reserved area in the bar, free into karma nightclub, our overnight stay and breakfast! You will hardly find value like that anywhere in Ireland.

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Anniemaire1982
Padraic W, Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent glowing review.

We pride ourselves on our packages and staff. It was genuinely very nice to read such a thorough analysis of your stay. We strive to make each guests experience enjoyable from Hen party's to active retire and its great to see it noticed.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Prince of Wales & the Midlands in the near future.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

Just back from a weekend in the Prince of Wales Athlone with a group of golfers. Have to say fantastic service at reception in the restaurant and in the bar , Restored my faith in Irish hospitality

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Harry R

Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review.

You and your fellow golfers were a pleasure to deal with. We strive to get the good old "Céad Míle Fáilte" welcome across to all our guests and I was delighted to see you noticed.

Hopefully see you next year.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed here last nite for a party,we had booked a double room for me and husband,on our arrival the staff at desk were so nice than we got to our room and the room was fab,big and spacious was well impressed with it.room was cosy and warm and bathroom was huge 2 sinks and bath and shower we were well impressed at the room for the cost of it.

Stayed: April 2012

Dear Pauline,

Thank you for your recent stay and submitting a review of same.

We pride ourselves on our facilities and staff. We are delighted that you found our rooms of a high standard.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Prince of Wales.

Reviewed 28 April 2012

Id like to thank all the guys at the Prince for such a welcomeing stay for my first ever visit to the wonderful courtry and Athlone with such great people and sites which I wiched I'd had more time to explore.
To arrive with St P day in first few days was good to see a National Pride,
The Hotel staff etc were like family by the time i'd been there a week or two
Recption were attentive and always wanting to go the extra mile, even trying to move me to a more relaxing room cheers Debbie!!! and thanks for making me laugh when Id started to use local slang within few days.
Breakfast was my best time of the day not just the quality of the food but the attentiveness of people like Melisa and others I sadly cant remember there names, cheers for makin my days bright cheerful and what ever I ordered was fresh and wholesome, love the spring onion garnish on the food I was presented, Chef Kevin I belive(sadly im now a size larger )
Bar staff and Food superb just the right portions and price, with the meals guys cheers for making my stay relaxing.
Lunch I was always at work so never had the pleasure and people told me they used it as their watering hole for lunch was like being at home
Cheers to the guys behind the scenes that do the washing up, preping the food and cleaning the rooms
As I was working far from home in the UK I can safely say Padriac the guys in your team made me feel well at home and not want to go home, spoilt me rotten.
All our guys staying here while working in Athlone have said the same
"YOU WILL LOVE THE HOTEL"
Miss you all guys hope to see you soon
Regards John Evenden (Rev.)

Room Tip: go for the back rooms as they are queiter than the front when night club or bar open late. they are...