“Real Gem”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Sligo, Ireland
“Real Gem”
Reviewed 1 September 2012

A real gem of a hotel. While in town on business, I spent 2 nights at The Prince of Wales, and it was certainly an excellent choice. Centrally located, in the heart of the town, it cut down on travel. Despite its close proximity to nightlife, my room was well insulated, and I slept though the night undisturbed. One of the nicer features the hotel has to offer is a call from reception about two hours after I had checked in, to see if everything was alright - in fact, the lady on the line apologised for the delay in contacting! Due to time constraints I only ate in the hotel restaurant once, but the food was top notch, the service efficient and pleasant, despite a late reservation. For business travellers, the free wi-fi is invaluble. All in all, a marvellous, modern hotel, competitively priced and excellently located.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Athlon Ireland
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Charming, delightful, good service and friendly staff. We had walked past the hotel a few times and decided that evening to give it a-go. Lovely experience. I will recommend it to our traveling friends.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 31 August 2012 via mobile

As we were staying elsewhere my Family and I were out to have a spot of food in the evening and came across the Princes bar attached to this Hotel. We ordered 2 starters and 2 main courses & fish goujons for my 3&4 year old children. Now our dishes were nice but I have to say that the young man who intially took our order was pleasant and helpful, as for the ignorant female who looked like she wanted to be elsewhere, threw the food on the table and grunted at us with what we made out was STEAK and SALAD then walked away. I had to get my own steak knife. Never asked if we needed anything else drinks etc. The KIDS battered fish goujons were full of bones completely unexceptable for kids of 3 &4. Overall I paid the €70 and got out as quick as I could. Smile it wont kill you.

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank shawshank34
Padraic W, Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review as we take all comments onboard positive and negatitive. I was so disappointed to hear of your experience as we pride ourselves on our food and our service as the vast majority of our reviews acknowledge.Your experience would be a very isolated incident and I have sent you a private message as I Genuinely want to follow up the complaint to ensure that it does not happen again. again my apologies for not living up to your expectations and our normally high standard.
I am looking forward to hearing back from you.
Regards
padraic Whelan
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Prince of Wales for one night at the end of a week tour in Ireland. After spending most of the trip in B&Bs and guest houses, the Prince was a nice change of pace. The room was spacious and the bed was by far the largest that we had seen in a while.

The bathroom was really nice and the shower had great water pressure. For a hotel that seemed to be known for it's party scene, we were surprised at how quiet our room was. Even on the night of a big football match, we didn't hear a peep.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AliOkie
Padraic W, Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely review.

We were delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay. A lot of our rooms do have very large beds. I was delighted also to see that noise was not a problem.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Midlands in the near future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed there on a Wednesday night in august and had a front room, right over the street. At about 12:30am we were awakened by extremely loud crowd noise on the street below that continued unabated till approx 4:am in the morning- needless to say, we did not sleep. I asked the receptionist in the morning about it and she said it's from the niteclub that's part of the hotel and that it usually happens from Wednesday thru Sunday nites. She was very apologetic and said we should have asked for a room in the back side of the hotel- how were we supposed to know that! Anyway, the hotel was fine but the noise was certainly not! Be aware of this if you decide to stay there!

2 Thank Haynbo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I was delighted to read that you found the hotel fine and I do apologise about the noise that you experienced during your stay. Our club is soundproofed but unfortunately from time to time there can be quiet a bit of street noise but we have also added an extra set of double glazed windows to any room that we felt may suffer from this perhaps we need to do the same in a few more rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Prince of Wales in the near future.

limerick
Reviewed 25 August 2012

just back after 2 nights(wed+thur) in the prince of wales my wife eileen and i really enjoyed it, the food and staff were very good we went to seans bar on both nights (the oldest bar in ireland) great music and craic.!!!!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay in the Prince of Wales and taking the time to write a review.

It was great to read that you and Eileen enjoyed your stay in the Prince of Wales Hotel and the town of Athlone. I suppose Athlone is a bit of a hidden gem.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone in the near future.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Pleasant staff, nice atmosphere at reception and bar. We were settling into the room when we got a call from reception to see if everything was to our liking which is a really nice touch...our room wasn't huge but was nicely furnished and lots of storage space.

Food at the bar was tasty and well priced...again can't praise staff enough...would highly reccomend if going to athlone

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and lovely review.

We were delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay. We always try to give a courtesy call to the room when time permits and people thankfully appreciate it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Prince of Wales & the Athlone in the near future.