“Great place to stay”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Stranraer, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

I was told by my irish hotel expert that the Prince of Wales in Athlone was a very old hotel. It has a central location, one possibly two night clubs. But despite them we had a comfortable quiet night. Breakfast was excellent, room was clean, shower very good. Only grumble is that double bed in our room was on small size.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I last stayed here when I was home,7 years ago. It has changed quite a bit since, but the warm sincere welcome I recieved the other day when I checked in,exhausted after a long flight home from Australia plus stopovers/coaches/taxis etc was so appreciated. I was put in a particularly quiet room so I could sleep, it was small but cosy and spotless and very comfortable. Later in the bar the service and warmth was equally spirit lifting. I had missed out on dinner so the barman conjured up a delicious sandwich for me.Overall this hotel couldnt do enough to ensure I had a comfortable stay and the Irish humour and kindness was awesome. I truly felt like I was home.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed in the Prince of Wales for a night to celebrate our anniversary on Feb 13th and had a really great time. We actually had our honeymoon in the Prince 31 years ago, and although we had been back since, we had'nt been since it's refurbishment. Have to say the hotel looked great. We arrived in the afternoon and were made very welcome from the getgo. We had drinks in the bar beside a huge,roaring fire [the weather outside was miserable] and the staff were fantastic.Special mention to TJ,Gerard and Fiona, who told us the best pubs in Athlone to visit, as there was no music in the hotel that night. She recommended Sean's Bar and we had a great evening there. The next morning ,we were feeling fragile, but after a great shower [top marks] we headed down for breakfast. Gerard was on duty and really looked after us. We are more used to a buffet breakfast but have to say that this was the best served breakfast we have ever had.Everything you could possibly want was there and if anyone is thinking of saving a few quid by not going for the breakfast, don't. You'll be sorry. Top marks to the kichen for the food and presentation.So we can certainly recommend the Prince for a great stay, very friendly staff and good value for money.
Mary and Paul
Dublin

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank paulmack20
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The staff are what makes this place special. I booked my boyfriend's suprise 30th party here, and it was brilliant. The manager Padraig did everything to make the night special, and the rest of the staff couldn't do enough for us too. The bar has a fantastic atmosphere, there's plenty of space but still feels cosy! The food supplied for the party was great, and we got the cheapest package...everyone commented on it!!

The room I booked was sophisticated, clean and spacious. Reception and breakfast staff were also wonderful. The location is also handy as you're in the centre of town.

I would not entertain the thought of booking another hotel for a stay in Athlone after staying in the Prince of Wales. Most importantly, my boyfriend had a great time!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mscatfly
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed at The Prince of Wales for a night last weekend. Could not fault it. Lovely comfortable foyer with plenty of newspapers provided. Very comfortable room and fantastic shower. There was a very busy bar which seemed to be serving plenty of bar food. There was also a night club downstairs and I have to say we were not disturbed at all with noise from it or the Hen party that were staying in the hotel also. The staff were very pleasant and helpful and the breakfast was perfect, again with plenty of newspapers available. An excellent hotel all round.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank evelyn M
County Laois, Ireland
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

I'm just home from a stay in Athlone with 20 women for a hen, we stayed in the Athlone Springs and got a taxi to this hotel to do a cocktail making class. It was so much fun, the staff were incredible, afterwords we had dinner which exceeded my expectations being in such a large group I didn't expect such a high standard of dining, we then went to the bar for a live band where we were given a VIP area in front of the band, they were brilliant and really interacted with us so much fun. From there we went to the night club which is in the hotel to again be given a VIP area with champaign for all. Could not speak highly enough about the staff in this hotel from reception, porters, bar and waitresses they are exceptional and should be acknowledged. If your thinking of a hen this is a really good weekend!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
galway
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I booked my parents into the hotel as a special treat for their 50th anniversary. I have never been as impressed in all my dealings with hotels and their staff as I have been with the hotel Manager, Padraic and his staff at this hotel. Mam and dad were treated like royalty and made feel special on what was a special occassion for them. If you are looking for somewhere that gives you that personal touch, believe me, The Prince Of Wales has it by the bucket load. Padraic thank you so much - take a bow. You went out of your way to look after my parents and I am so glad it was this hotel I decided on. Say thanks to all the team on wowing my parents. One other thing, my parents are well travelled so it is not too easy impress them. Take a bow and look forward to staying with ye myself and my family in the future...

• Stayed February 2014