“Pleasant hotel in central location”

The Prince of Wales Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The Prince of Wales is a very pleasant hotel with modern and spacious bedrooms. Very comfortable room. We had booked a dinner/B&B package and just to say that the dinner was very good. Also the breakfast was in its "full Irish" version very tasty. There was limited selection as for "continental style" breakfast if that is your thing. There were certainly no cold meats or cheeses on offer the morning we had breakfast. The hotel function rooms are very well equipped as we recall from a previous stay. Once query I would have though - I was wondering what the hotel tries to achieve in the spacious bar area/restaurant.It's not really classy and after 10 o'clock the disco lights came on, but no music. Well not until 11.00 pm after which time we left.
All in all - it can surely be recommended in particular because of its central location - everything in walking distance (which beats driving in Athlone anytime)!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Prince of Wales Hotel

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I went out for dinner here with my family, me and mum ordered the chicken curry! As we were halfway through we noticed it had a fishy taste and found pieces of what looked like salmon so we told the waitress and she brought the two dishes back to the kitchen. She back out and her response was: 'Yeah the chef is in there scratching his head, he said he doesn't know how the salmon got in there.' We all just laughed about the whole thing as it was really quite funny but what was not so funny was that two of us were so sick the next day. The waitress offered us a dessert but we refused as we didn't want to chance it. As we went off from paying a male waiter shouts over at us, 'I hear ye had a fishy curry.' Safe to say we got a good laugh out of it! But, never again!!!!! Ew, ew, ew!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank leethebaker
Padraic W, General Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. My apologies for your experience as it totally goes against the norm as you can see from all the very positive reviews we receive on all forums.
I would really like if you could contact me directly so I can discuss this matter as we would take it very serious and unfortunately I have not been able to find any record of the incident from our own internal investigation. I can be contacted directly at manager@theprinceofwales.ie or by telephoning 0906476666.
Again I am looking forward to talking to you so I can find out when and how this happened.
Kindest Regards
Padraic Whelan

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We had a very enjoyable weekend in The Prince of Wales Hotel. Its location is great in the heart of Athlone right beside the Athlone shopping centre. We stayed in room 226 , a nice clean comfortable room with plenty of space, the bathroom was spotless with a great shower over the bath. Our only complaint was the room was far too hot we had to leave the windows open also this room was a bit noisy due to the nightclub entrance/exit on that side of the hotel. We ate in both the bar & restaurant during our stay the food & service was excellent. The hotel bar had a great atmosphere with the rugby match on during the day & a live band playing that night. The staff & management in this hotel are what makes this hotel they are warm, friendly , efficient & nothing is too much trouble . I would stay here again if looking for a central hotel in Athlone but maybe ask for a room at the back of the hotel during a weekend night.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just back from a weekend to celebrate my mums birthday. What a lovely hotel with staff that are so friendly, welcoming and obliging. We ate in both the restaurant and the bar during our stay and the food was delicious with a great choice to suit all tastes. Rooms are lovely and very well equipped. Will definitely be returning. Linda Cunningham, Dublinb

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LindaRC1970
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My third time staying in this hotel and still as enjoyable as ever. The bar food is still really good and great value. The staff in this hotel are great to and they looked after us really well. The location of this hotel is ideal for a weekend with friends in Athlone.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Badbuzz
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I was told by my irish hotel expert that the Prince of Wales in Athlone was a very old hotel. It has a central location, one possibly two night clubs. But despite them we had a comfortable quiet night. Breakfast was excellent, room was clean, shower very good. Only grumble is that double bed in our room was on small size.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I last stayed here when I was home,7 years ago. It has changed quite a bit since, but the warm sincere welcome I recieved the other day when I checked in,exhausted after a long flight home from Australia plus stopovers/coaches/taxis etc was so appreciated. I was put in a particularly quiet room so I could sleep, it was small but cosy and spotless and very comfortable. Later in the bar the service and warmth was equally spirit lifting. I had missed out on dinner so the barman conjured up a delicious sandwich for me.Overall this hotel couldnt do enough to ensure I had a comfortable stay and the Irish humour and kindness was awesome. I truly felt like I was home.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo