“What a difference a day (or a year or two) make!”

The Prince of Wales Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I had previously reviewed this hotel and gave it the only scathing review I've ever posted on TripAdvisor. Well, I've found I can take back every negative word I said. This hotel has done a complete 360. The attention to detail that had bothered me so much two or so years ago is no more.

I was willing to give the place another go because it's a great stopping over point when heading west from Dublin. Athlone itself may not be the so fabulous, but everything you might possiblly need can be obtained in town before heading further out west. There are all sort of shops and two major shopping centres. The hotel is cental to almost all of them. And the hotel is an each jump off the motorway.

I had landed in Dublin late in the afternoon, and was comfortably settled in my room that evening. From the moment I set foot in the lobby, I could see that the hotel had undergone a major change. The elevator button was no longer covered in duck tape. That was a good sign....

And the changes went beyond the fresh coat of paint and new (or very well cleaned) hallway rugs.

My room was sparkingly clean. Every bit of attention to detail had been made. My room faced the tower of St. Mary's church across the way, and the nightclub below, but I never heard a bit of sound through the double set of windows.

All in all, I was thrilled with the change to the place, and will stay again the next time I'm in Ireland.

Kudos to the staff for all of their hard work in making such a tremendous difference. And thank you for a lovely stay that was the perfect jumping off point to another fabulous visit to Ireland.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank BieneB

Reviewed 1 May 2014

If you are planning a hen go to this hotel never met staff so helpful from beginning to end .the food was superb followed by a great band in the bar and then to top it off a fab night club called karma at the side of hotel you don't need to travel around town to find a better spot we all have agreed that we will return and for the record there was 27 of us in total from different parts of Ireland and no complaints whatsoever ever

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 nights b&b with an evening meal. Really enjoyed our stay, room was big bright and clean , onsuite had a seperate bath and shower and the shower was amazing!! Location was perfect, food was perfect. What more would you want.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a stag last October. Rooms were lovely, bar was very lively and had lovely grub, breakfast was really good too. Ideal place to stay with a group as it's smack bang in the centre of Athlone!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2014

With the exception of the first woman at reception, we had a nice stay here. She seemed befuddled about finding a copy of a map of the city, and making recommendations for dining, outside the hotel. Our room was clean and modern.
Athlone is a perfect location for taking a day trip to the monastic site of Clonmacnoise.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KrissyOregon
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Brilliant place was there sat night with a group of 20 girls for a hen party we all had a lovely time food was great and rooms were very clean , the staff was real friendly will definitely pay a visit again

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Excellent hotel really enjoyed our stay was there for a hen party , the staff was really friendly , food was lovely , and over all very clean , we done cocktail making and a trip on the Shannon , would definitely stay there again we highly recommend the prince of Wales

• Stayed: April 2014