“So disapointed”

The Prince of Wales Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
“So disapointed”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at the prince a total of 5 times and always loved the location and the service... My second last stay was a negative one but because I was with a good friend for her birthday we just mentioned it I had upgraded the room for a extra £25 for fresh fruit and water in the room with bath robes and slippers all of this I didn't get also I was sent to be upgraded to a bigger room also it was the same size that I had had all the other times but I take that as just look of the draw....

But my last time staying with my new fiancé was the most dissapointing 2 days of my life. Number one the room smelt of smoke witch I am not a smoker and this is just one of the worst smells too me. Second their was a stain on our sheets witch I called reception about witch they told me they were sebding someone to change it I told them I was going out for the night to change when I left. I returned to the hotel at 12.45 the sheets were not changed when I called again at 12.45am I was told there was just a night porter on duty bascallyci just had to deal with it.... I had booked 2 nights and was awoken at 9am by a rude lady telling me that my friend that was in another room had checked out why was she not staying 2 nights??!??????????? After we got over all that my boyfriend and I went out in athlone to enjoy are day prior to leaving I had reminded the front desk please change care sheets I had slept on a towel the night before.... Returning to the hotel 5 hours later the room had been cleaned and I was relieved getting into bed for a afternoon nap my partner seen that the same bed sheet were in the bed just turned over I was so angry and upset.... We then ordered room service of nachos and 2 beers that came quickly and were very nice and hot .. That night we went out for a romantic meal were my parneter proposed to me in the middle of all the excitement and happiness the prince of Wales hotel called to ask when we're the people in the second room after sorting all this out in the morning after my rude wake up call I can safely say I wasn't happy....... The next morning after sleeping on a towel again I called reception to bring me more towels as it took 4 for new and my partner to sleep on u first called at 9.45 an after waiting 55mins I called again at 11.15 a woman came with 4 hand towels so again I had to call hi can I have some bath towels again the rude woman cane with 6hand toels then my fience went and just took some off the trolley in the hall... Upon cheaking out I asked to speak with both the manager or a supiviser I was denied both so I told the woman at the desk she brushed it off and told me she would give me 10% off my next stay!!!!!! Please get your staff together I can safely say I'll never stay here if I can help it

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Melissa J
Padraic W, General Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and naturally I was very disappointed to read your feedback.Thankfully we receive very few negatitive reviews and I always carry out a very thorough investigation and as you will see from any of my responses to these reviews I am always very honest and hold my hands up when I feel that we have not lived up to our customers expectations. From memory I do not think I have disputed or debated any of these reviews since we started receiving reviews but after carrying out a full internal investigation of your stay I genuinely feel there is two sides to your experience. I would love to talk to you in person to clarify some points that our own investigation have uncovered . I feel that the review is slightly unfair but i do stand to be corrected on this point.I can be contacted at 0906476666 or manager@theprinceofwales.ie.

Kind Regards

Padraic Whelan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We had a fantastic time in the Prince of Wales Hotel this weekend. They organise a brilliant package for hen parties! Everything was organised for us and all we had to do was just turn up! Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 July 2014

A group of us had dinner here last night and left terribly disappointed and appalled by the service. Arrived in early enough for dinner, about half 5, and the place was very quiet with a good few staff working. We took a seat beside the bar and not one member of staff approached us asking would we like drinks or to look at the menu. After about 10 mins, I got up and took a menu off another table and the four of us shared the one menu. I also went to the bar and asked for a drinks menu. Again, no one came to take our order and we had to call one of the waiting staff over. When enquiring about the price of the 'teapot' cocktails on the menu, the waiter had to ask a manager the price, which was absolutely fine, however, the managers response was ''its on the menu''...which it wasn't! However, we proceeded to order food and drinks. On asking for water for the table, the bar tender dropped a jug down, however, did not bring any glasses and we had to ask a waiter to drop down four glasses. Upon finishing, we asked for the check, which no one came back to collect...overall the experience was very poor, the food was alright but the service was shocking. I would definitely not recommend the hotel restaurant to anyone travelling to Athlone. Instead there is a lovely Italian restaurant called 'Di Bello' around by the cathedral, with gorgeous food which very reasonably priced, with excellent service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank SW231091
Padraic W, General Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to visit our bar and for taking the time to write your review. Naturally I wish you had a positive experience and I am very sorry you had such a bad experience. The service or lack of service you and your group received was definitely not up to our usual standard and we were so disappointed to read of your experience.I genuinely wish to carry out a thorough investigation and I need your help to do this , it would be greatly appreciated if you could contct me directly so that I can gather some more information and so I can apologize in person.If you could contact me at manager@theprinceofwales.ie or 0906476666.
Again I am sorry we let our standards slip on this occasion as we normally pride ourselves on the highest of customer care as is reflected in the majority of our reviews and comment cards and I look forward to talking to you in the near future.

Kind Regards
Padraic Whelan
Galway
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed here for my sister's Hen Night here 2 weeks ago and the hotel was fantastic. Front desk staff were so friendly & helpful. Everything was organised for us & everything you need for a night out is in one location! Lovely bar, nightclub & v comfy beds! Would definitely return..

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Trim
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed with a gang of friends for a birthday celebration. The location is excellent, very central and right next to a lovely shopping centre and easy walking distance to lots of pubs, restaurants and the train station. We were all impressed with the calibre of the rooms and the staff had left a bottle of bubbly & a card in our birthday girls room. We had delicious bar food and the staff made room for our gang, getting extra tables and seats etc and allowed us to decorate a bit. We returned later and went to the very popular nightclub which was buzzing but we didn't hear any noise from our room on the 2nd floor. And in the morning we all enjoyed a delicious cooked breakfast. Very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: 214 is a very generous size.