“great Stay!”

The Prince of Wales Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Upon Arrival (after a very long trip) we were greeted by the receptionists of the hotel who were extremely friendly in helping us get settled. the room itself was large with more then enough space for the two of us. the bathroom and especially shower facilities were second to none! We had both our evening meal and food the following day in the POW while the prices were reasonable the portions were more then generous. the staff in the bar were busy but still always helpful.

Only negative was the noise from the joining nightclub as we were at the front of the hotel.

Room Tip: rooms at back of hotel could be quiter
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 August 2014

When booking this place we were not advised about the loud disco going on half the night. The girl was aware that there was children in our party. She also never told us about all the hen parties that were booked in who would be shouting on the corridor all night.
We dined in the bar and half way through our meal a waiter slapped a sheet of paper on the table staying the table was reserved from 9pm which gave us 10 minutes to eat our meal. When we moved the sheet we were told to put it back! So we had nowhere to sit in the bar.
We are now in our room unable to sleep with the noise. Won't be back anytime soon.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Small S
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Wonderful hotel, across the street from one shopping centre and a ten minute walk from the other. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. I rang the day before arrival to request a quieter room away from the night club and the receptionist (Aisling) sorted it immediately. There is a great choice of meals from the bar menu and we ate there all three nights of our stay. Lively bar with entertainment most nights. Our room was large, clean with a DVD player and DVD discs available from the hotel to amuse children as necessary. Menu also supplied for choice of breakfast with meals cooked to order. One of the best hotels we have stayed in.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the nightclub have no views but are much quieter.
1  Thank MADerry
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

It was our 1st visit to Athlone. When walking down the town, we called into this hotel for lunch. We were very impressed, I fancied a dinner, which I got from the carvery, my husband wanted soup and a toastie which we were delighted with the selection to choose from. Lots of seating ans sky tv on many screens which pleased my husband. We came back for our evening meal the next day. The staff are very helpful and friendly. We noticed how friendly the young staff were to older customers very impressed. Keep up the good work.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I was astonished when this old established hotel was unable to charge my UK credit card in euros. The waiter in the restaurant told me their card payment machines could only charge my card in sterling. If I was cynical I could possibly surmise they were trying to stick a crafty 3% more onto my bill by offering what is always a much less competitive exchange rate. I paid my bill in cash but left no tip.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank clonbrusk
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed for one night on 8th August on our way west. The receptionist was friendly and helpful.( I think Aishling was her name). The bedroom was spotless with a massive bed and lovely bathroom with double shower. My wife was well impressed with the make up mirror in the bathroom. We had dinner in the bar it was perfect. The Guinness was great and a fair price served by happy friendly bar staff.There was entertainment in the bar later 3 young lads really enjoying them selves not just turning out the usual old songs. Breakfast was cooked fresh to order, not a luke warm buffet. it was the business. we will definitely use this hotel again.Great to see Irish people being employed in the hotel industry again, you cant beat good staff. thanks for a lovely stay.

1  Thank lilywhitescilldara
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I stayed in this Hotel during the week ..after having to get picked up by Padraic when I got lost due to traffic diverts. The Receptionist Michelle was so helpful each time I called her. When I eventually got to Hotel I was pleasantly surprised by the inside and especially the bedroom with its massive bed. Do not judge this Hotel by the Exterior. The room was spotless and bathroom was clean and gleaming.
Breakfast was from the Menu and had quite a few choices. I had Pancakes on one morning and yum yum. Th e Menu in the Pub was also quite extensive, the food was tasty, well presented and nicely priced.Unfortunately we had a front room right over the Karma Club which I will be avoiding next time. Over all a very pleasant, homely stay. wonderful staff and so willing to help.

Room Tip: Dont take a room over the Karma Club unless you are going to the Disco.