“WHAT A PLEASURE!!”

The Prince of Wales Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 16 April 2009

My husband and I and two friends had booked 2 nights B&B plus one evening meal, through a website. We actually got a deal which was half the correct price, but the hotel honoured this booking at the website price. Not only this but they upgraded both our rooms!

Our rooms were spotless, huge with the biggest bed I have ever seen, and so comfortable. The bathroom had a multijet power shower, double pedestal basins and deep bath. All just perfect.

The hotel staff were so friendly, cheery and helpful, making the atmosphere very accommodating.

The food in the bar/restaurant was faultless. It is noted in the room that the bar becomes very busy at lunchtimes, no wonder - it seemed like all the locals came there for lunch - for either a bar meal, or full cooked meal. This is a true sign that the food is good enough to bring in the locals every day. We were happy to wait until about 2pm - just having a drink - until the bar area cleared.

We had stayed in the Prince of Wales many years ago before it was demolished and rebuilt - it was awful then - now it is great! Athlone is a lovely friendly town - with the old and the new side by side, including a totally new shopping centre with up-market shops.

Will definitely be back to both the hotel and Athlone.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
dubdutch, General Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2009

What a pleasure to receive such a review!

Thank you very much for your kind words. I remember the rate mix-up, as we had just started using a new system, and we were naturally happy to honor the quoted rate.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 March 2009

hotel is well located for a transit or business stay, it is in the centre of town with free parking. The roomsare well appointed with modernTV's.

I was a very late arrival, a nd could not get a meal, but that was my fault.

Useful, clean, convenient; Athlone is virtually in the centre of Ireland, so very handy.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
dubdutch, General Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2009

Thank you for your kind review and for your favorable comments regarding the Prince of Wales Hotel.

We hope you get the opportunity to stay with us again.

As with most hotels, you'll see that we are better value than ever as we now have a very special Sunday to Thursday rate of 65 Eur for our guests.

We hop to see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2009

Stayed at the Prince of Wales hotel last weekend and it was unbeatable value - great reception rooms, great rooms, great dinner, great breakfast - absolutely recommendable to everyone who likes to be in the heart of Athlone. Many thanks to the hotel staff for helping us have an unforgettable hen weekend!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
dubdutch, General Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2009

Thank you so much for your kind words.

Your comments will be passed on to all of the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Prince of Wales soon.

Reviewed 27 August 2008

Having read reviews for this hotel, I decided to stay there.

Good points
* the staff are all very friendly
* nice spacious room
* air con, which was needed, as the room was hot
* VERY nice double sized shower
* not a huge bar menu, but the burger was nice
* FREE wi-fi, always useful for business people like me
* nice breakfast available

Bad points
* I was near the back of the hotel, and what I assume was the back of the kitchen was VERY noisy at 10.30PM
* the light on the vanity mirror, in the bathroom, did not work (I like to use it for shaving)

I am always looking at the details in hotels, and liek most, theer are always a few things that iritate me a bit. There were a few cracked tiles, some grout was missing on tiles, nothing major, just attention to details that I find important.

Bear in mind that the streets are in chaos aswell, with loads of roadworks and one way streets being constructed. If you use sat nav be prepared to go right around the streets to get to it, but the parkign is at least free.

Would I stay again?
Yeah, no problem. Its a nice hotel all in, fairly inexpensive, and quite central. For the business guys and girls, it is a good stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
dubdutch, General Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2008

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor and for your, overall, positive review.

We will look into the matters you addressd and will continue to strive towards getting all the details right for our guests.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 22 July 2008

July 12th 2008 saw Athlone swarm with Traithletes.. up to 1700 I believe.

3 of us (Triathletes) had booked a double room (requesting an extra cot bed) and it was easily accommodated. Very pleasantly it was only an extra €20 for the third person and included breakfast. Great deal.

On arrival to Athlone the whole town was swarming and I automatically assumed that check-in might be something similar. Not so. Once our race was complete we tried our luck and went to ask if we could possibly check-in early. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and accommodating. They honestly were terribly helpful, above and beyond what you would expect. They even suggested helping us put our luggage in the room early so that we were less-burdened going to get the car... and this was without having to actually check-in, as my credit card was in the car still.

Room was all you could ask for. A little noisy on the first floor from the nightclub... but given the night that was in it (Triathlete party) it was to be expected and in fairness it quietened down in good time.

Breakfast was plentiful and tasty.

Same friendly service checking out.

Nice and central to the town.

Definitely recommend and I'll be checking in early next year for TriAthlone 2009.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
ManagerAthlone, Manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2008

I am delighted that you had a positive experience at the Prince of Wales Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back for the triathlone in 2009.

Reviewed 15 July 2008

went to this place for a family event in the town,very impressed,great location,the rooms blew me away,i would advise anyone to stay here

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for going to the time for writing this review. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Prince of Wales Hotel

Reviewed 5 June 2008

I recently stayed in the Prince of Wales for one night while I was on business in the area.The hotel is in the heart of the town and car park adjacent to the building. I don't normally write reviews on trip advisor but I found this hotel to be exceptional with its helpful staff and well laid out complex.
I checked in at 8.00pm and was greeted by a friendly receptionist, who checked me in speedily. She gave me details on meal times and facilites within the hotel. The room was very spacious, comfortable and spotless. I had a meal in the bar which was superb. I had a very comfortable nights sleep.
I was welcomed to the breakfast room the next morning and given a fine hearty full Irish. No problems with checkout, once again a very helpful member of staff gave me directions to where I was having a meeting that morning.
All in all I found no fault with this hotel and will certainly be back.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
ManagerAthlone, manager at The Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2008

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Prince of Wales Hotel. Thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Prince of Wales Hotel.