“Amazing hotel! Staff were unbelievable. Very welcoming atmosphere.”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Roscommon, Ireland
“Amazing hotel! Staff were unbelievable. Very welcoming atmosphere.”
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We got married here and from day one, it was such an enjoyable experience. All of the staff we met were helpful, welcoming and very friendly. We were constantly given free tea/coffee/snacks and even dinner when we had appointments with them. The day of the wedding was amazing and everything ran so smoothly. I had nothing to worry about as they were on top of everything.
I eat here in the restaurant often and the food is always amazing. The room we were in was fab (but then again it was the bridal suite!). It is in a lovely location, on the lake and is fab for a stroll on a sunny day. I had my work christmas party here too this year and again, the food and atmosphere were excellent.
I was a member of the gym up until recently (got lazy!) and it is amazing. My husband is still a member and loves it. Fab leisure centre.
I love this hotel and would definitely recommend it to anyone, young or old for a wedding, weekend away or just a fancy meal in the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NiamhHughes
HodBay, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for such genuine feedback. I will certainly circulate your kind words around the hotel and place a copy of your review in the Team facilities. We truly are fortunate in the Hodson Bay Hotel, to be a destination where people come and stay for a meal, a short break, even a party, but in your case a very special day, but leave with memories that will last a life time. May I take this opportunity on behalf of the management and staff to wish you both every happiness in your lives together and I have no doubt both you and your husband will be guests of the hotel for many years to come

Timothy Hayes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Polish first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 15 April 2011

My son had his wedding reception at Hodson Bay on 8th April and it was absolutely wonderful. From the minute we arrived the staff made it an occasion to remember. From the drinks reception on arrival - which also had a delicious array of tasty snacks and tea/coffee - to the check out the following day. The wedding meal was fantastic and served very professionally and quickly. Second helpings were offered to anyone able for more and the evening food was also delicious along with the wedding cake which was cut up for us. The dining room for the meal was decorated beautifully and the staff were a great help with advising on speeches etc. My husband and I had a lovely big room overlooking the lake and the bed was soo comfy. The following morning we all met up for breakfast - also delicious - and nothing too much trouble for the staff. Check out was effortless and we were sorry to be leaving. My brother and his family - including 5 small children and their parents - also had much praise for their experience. A wonderful family day made so special by Hodson Bay and their staff.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to put forward such positive feedback. It was delightful to read that both you and your family had such a wonderful experience in the hotel, and we thrilled to have assisted in such a memorable occasion. We use feedback such as yours to help and encourage the team to perform consistently. I would especially like to thank you for the kind comments about our facilities and more so the comments regarding our Team, I will certainly circulate your kind words around the hotel and place a copy of your review in the Team facilities. If you ever have the occasion to return, please make us aware so I can personally meet and welcome you back.

Roscommon, Ireland
Reviewed 15 April 2011

Myself and my husband had our wedding at The Hodson Bay on 26th March this year. We could not have been happier with the service, the food and the professionalism of the staff all round. We were given personal care from a great team who have made it their business to be the best in the business. I would highly recommend The Hodson Bay Hotel. Sarah Aherne

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for such fantastic feedback. We truly are fortunate in the Hodson Bay Hotel, to have met so many fantastic couples down through the years as we assist in the planning of their wedding day. We are delighted that that you left the hotel with such happy memories. we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for many years to come. May I take this opportunity on behalf of the management and Team I wish you both every happiness in your lives together.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 15 April 2011

We had a great weekend in this hotel. Rooms clean, service great, food excellent. Staff some of the nicest we have come across and would recommend a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest

It was wonderful to read that there were many positive aspects to your stay, and I would also like to thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Ireland
Reviewed 14 April 2011

We returned to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary..and such a wonderful experience..We had wonderful treatments in the very relaxing spa..Dinner in a very busy L'escale was first class, superb service by very professional staff.will def return for dinner for a special occasion as it is as good if not better than many local restaurants.
Breakfast was very nice, lovely choice, only negative was the chef on the hot buffet definiltely seemed under pressure and her manner was not up to the friendly standards of other staff members we had the pleasure to meet.
A wonderful suprise on check out was that our accomodation was compliments of the Hotel due to fact we had our Wedding there last year, a real nice gesture and most unexpected..Aine delivered this lovely news with genuine pleasure and warmth..I made my booking with Ruth who was extremely helpful and friendly lady.From check in we were made extremely welcome and special as as soon as I mentioned our name it was realised we were there to celebrate a special occasion..very personal and lovely to experience in this day and age..
Our room was a Retreat Room, without doubt the most comfortable hotel room i have ever stayed in and will def return.On our way home we remarked about how clean and well maintained the hotel is in particular the public areas and the leisure centre.
A heart felt thank you to all in the Hodson for a truly memorable stay and we are eagerly looking forward to planning a return visit.

Room Tip: Book spa treatments in plenty of time
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to put forward such positive feedback. It was great that both you and your husband had the opportunity to experience so many of the facilities the hotel has to offer. I am delighted that you had such a memorable stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon. May I take this opportunity to congratulate you both on your first anniversary and on behalf of the management and Team I wish you both every happiness in your future together.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 9 April 2011

My sister and I had a wonderful stayin in this beautiful hotel. The staff were excellent. Dinner in the dining room was fantastic. We were there for a wine tasting on the evening we arrived which was great fun and most educational. The hydropool was so refreshing . I would rec. a visit you will not regret it.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

It is always very encouraging for the management and team at the hotel to read such positive comments. Our aim at the hotel is to ensure that each guest that visits the hotel, whether it be for one night or a family break, has the opportunity to experience all the facilities that we have to offer, and leaves the hotel looking forward to a return visit. I am delighted that you had such a good stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

laois
Reviewed 6 April 2011

spent 3 nights at the hotel with my mom and sister. it was only amazing.
all staff were so friendly and always smiling. the room we had was a lovely spacious room perfect for 3 people with large bathroom. food in the restaurant was outstanding would highly recommend. a nice hotel to chill out in and be away from the town

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
HodBay, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2011
Dear Guest
It was delightful to read such sincere comments, and we truly appreciate such positive feedback. At the hotel we are privileged to have exceptional staff, many of whom have been with us for a number of years, and they take great pride in the standard of service offered to our guests. I am delighted that you all enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.