“superb Family Break” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
meath, ireland
“superb Family Break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

Booked a three day stay at the hotel with wife and three kids(4,3 and 6months). We were first attracted to the hotel because of the facilities provided for the family. They advertised the "Penguin Club" which provided activities for 3 hours in the morning and up to five hours in the evening. Furthermore, there was also the facility for a "Tiny Tots" club which catered for children from 6 moths up to 4 years. This was from 6.30pm to 8.30pm. The children really took to the clubs and we let them decide whether they wanted to go or not and all they wanted to do was to go to the club. The evening club provided games and activities in the play room and also outdoors in front of the hotel. The baby was well looked after in the evening which provided a pure luxury for mammy and daddy to enjoy a delicious evening meal in comfort.
Everyone had a great time and the accommodation, facilities and food were exceptional. The staff and management were extremely pleasant and helpful at all times. The hotel room(222) we got was ideal with a mini entrance with main bedroom, twin room and bathroom off it. With the baby, it was essential that we had a fridge. This request was dealt with and within an hour. The initial family package included 3 nights B&B and two evening meals with the kids club included. Because the children were having so much fun, we booked a further two nights and we had a ball. The hotel is very clean and the grounds are ideal for small walks with the kids. There is also a "Viking Cruise" which goes from the front of the hotel and travels into the heart of Athlone with an option of getting off and getting the next cruise back. The kids really enjoyed the trip with viking swords and helmets available on the boat.
The food was excellent. There is a huge selection in the morning with a fine selection of fresh fruits, cereals and hot food available. Because of the luxury of the kids clubs, the evening meals were a joy and all in all, we really enjoyed the five nights. Oh, nearly forgot, the swimming pool an spa were also excellent. Very clean changing areas and well staffed. The wife enjoyed two hours of relax in the thermal spa and the kids loved the pool. In all, we had a great time and we'll definitely be returning next year. Thanks to all the staff for a truly lovely stay. See you next year..

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2011
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for such upbeat and positive feedback. Both you and your family seemed to have really enjoyed your time at the hotel and of course the complimentary trip on the viking boat really gives you the opportunity to experience beautiful views of the lake. Thankfully we are in a position to be able to facilitate each guests needs whether it’s a family holiday, group night away or a short romantic getaway. I am delighted that both you and your family had such an enjoyable stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you all back to the hotel in the future.

Timothy Hayes, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Polish first
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

We booked the 2 night B&B 1 D Family package where grandparents stay free. We arrived early so our room was not ready which was to be expected so we all had lunch and we received a phone call around 1 to tell us our rooms were ready. We were put in rooms very near each other both rooms were clean and one of the rooms bathroom had been recently renovated the other rooms bathroom was dated but both were clean.
The kids went to the kids club at 18.00 (Girl 8 boy 5) and played games and were given their dinner there, the kids all eat together in a specially made up table in the breakfast room them more games and then a movie, normally our kids are not keen on kids club but they really liked this one and it was very well run (it was available in the mornings too but we went off on day trips instead). With the kids in the kids club the adults could all dine together in the restaurant which we ate in both nights the food was very good.
The leisure center and Gym were super never too busy and the leisure centre staff were very helpful. In general all the staff were friendly and helpful - we all had a really good stay and we will be going back.

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your review of the Hodson Bay Hotel, and such positive feedback. Our grandparents staying free has proven a huge success this summer, as has our Penguin Club. We look forward to welcoming both you and your family back to the hotel for many years to come.

Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

I brought my mom and my sister here for their birthday's in April and really had such a great weekend. The spa is lovely, the food is great, the rooms are clean and really comfortable. The staff were brilliant, it was such a great treat and I was so glad it exceeded my expectations. We even got to do some wine tasting! Such a lovely weekend. Highly recommend this place, even for families with children they have lots of activities.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Spacedudette
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to put forward such positive feedback. It was delightful to read that all your family had such a pleasant experience in the hotel. We use feedback such as yours to help and encourage the team to perform consistently. I would especially like to thank you for the kind comments about our facilities and more so the comments regarding our team, I will certainly circulate your kind words around the hotel and place a copy of your review in the team facilities. If you ever have the occasion to return, please make us aware so I can personally meet and welcome you back

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

This weekend away was really nice we thouroughly enjoyed ourselves. The hotel itself is very friendly staffed however the room quality I do not think is the best that we have encountered while it isnt shabby it certainly isnt luxurious..This would be a great hotel for summer if you took a trip there just do not expect to many frills very family orientated rather than romantic...Staff were great though....

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

We appreciate that there were many positive aspects to your stay, and I would also like to thank you for your comments. At the hotel we are always looking at ways to improve the service and experience that our guests receive when they stay with us, and we have found your feedback to be informative. Perhaps you might like to drop me a line to thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com and we can discuss your feedback in greater detail. If you ever have the occasion to return, please make us aware so I can personally meet and welcome you back.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

The hotel is much bigger than I thought but the staff are very professional and courteous so you feel you are in a more intimate setting. The best thing I can say about the hotel though is how well the kids club was run it reflects really well on the management of the hotel. There is a good ratio of minders to children and the staff are genuinely enthusiastic and energetic. My wife and I felt safe leaving our son (4.5 yr old) in their care and I can't pay a better compliment to the hotels competency than that.

A couple of minor points where I think the hotel fell down. They did not return the recent VAT (Goods and Sales tax) reduction. The receptionist looked totally unconvinced herself when she explained us that the VAT reduction had been factored into the prices in advance. Second, our room had no fridge which is an inconvieniance for those bringing baby food.

Our biggest issue might not be a problem at all for most visitors. It was that the bar menu unavailable during our three night stay. There is a fancy restaurant in the hotel but with a year old baby in tow its not a good mix. On our first day we were told the bar menu was unavailable due to a large corporate booking and normal service would resume the following night. We had the carvery for dinner that night which is not something we'd opt for given choice. The following night the bar menu was again unavailable and there was over an hours wait for the restaurant, it was too late to make plans so we ended up with room service, which was in fairness good value and quality. Night three we left the hotel in torrential rain to eat at the Athlone Springs Hotel (we had stayed there before and knew it was good). I feel for such a family orientated hotel that there could be a happy medium offered between the Bain Marie and fine dining.

To finish on a positive, I would return but maybe I'll wait until my youngest is ready for the kids club and I can enjoy the restaurant.

Michael

Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to put forward such positive comments. We use feedback such as yours to help and encourage the team to perform consistently. I have taken your comments on board in relation to family dining and bar food. However I feel you may not have been advised of our tiny tots club which runs from 6.30 to 8.30 each evening and takes babies from 6 months to 4 years, this allows for parents to dining in the restaurant. It would have been a pleasure to have met with you before your departure so we could have had the opportunity to thank you in person for your kind words. If you ever have the occasion to return, please make us aware so I can personally meet and welcome you back.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

Just back from 3 nights at the Hodson Bay. Staff are really friendly and helpful. Its a very busy hotel with a lot of hustle and bustle but it has a nice vibe about it. Some parts of the hotel are old and in my opinion could do with being updated ie. the bar and bedrooms in the old part. However the pool area is fantastic. It is really clean bright and modern with lots of extra water features that can be turned on, even in the kids pool. We had a family room which was not very luxurious but was comfortable and fine. The only downfall was the outside window was dirty and also the blind inside. One day our room was not cleaned until after 6:30pm. However, beds were comfortable. Third bed was a camp bed. The restaurant food is gorgeous, with nice attentive staff. Breakfast was v. busy but good. The kids club runs from 10-1pm and 6-11:30pm and lunch and dinner for kids was all included in the package- very good value and kids enjoyed it and made friends. A kids playground would be a great addition to the hotel if they could build one. It is a short drive (about 15mins) into Athlone town. There is a nice shopping centre etc. We also had a free activity included and chose the boat trip, which was nice. The hotel is situated by the river and there is a nice little maria. I think they could make more of these feature though, as it is a bit drab. Its a pity the car park is so close to the scenic area, as it could be a really tranquil place except for all the cars and activity so close by. There were two weddings while were were there. All in all, we had a lovely stay and would definitely return. Staff should be commended on their friendliness!

Dear Guest

It was wonderful to read that your family enjoyed your break with us. We have taken your recommendations and passed them to our local county council which own the car park and marina situated at the front of the hotel. Our aim at the hotel is to ensure that each guest has the opportunity to experience all the facilities that we have to offer, and leaves the hotel looking forward to a return visit. I am delighted that your family had such an enjoyable stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back. If you ever have the occasion to return, please make us aware so I can personally meet and welcome you back.

Bellaghy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

Found the staff to be rather stressed out though it was a very busy weekend. They were friendly though and the kids club staff were amazing....totally felt at ease leaving my 3 kids there for a few hours.
Had a family room which was clean but basic, though it was really good of the hotel to provide a dvd player for the kids.
Great location for kids, they thoroughly loved the pool, the pedal boat, paddling in the lake, the kids club activities and looking at the boats.
Breakfast was a bit disappointing as its generally one of the things I most look forward to when staying away. The croissants were all stuck together as though no one had bothered to separate them....ok petty i know but still.....also the butter, though gorgeously piped comes to the table practically frozen. I asked the waitress for another butter as the first one was so hard and my 7 year old was struggling to put it on his toast.....the waitress went into the kitchen and must have put it in the microwave for about a minute and presented me with a little bowl of pure liquid melted butter, i know she tried to be helpful.
Dinner in the restaurant was very good and probably the best thing. The worst was the frozen butter incident.

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your comments following on from your recent stay here in the Hodson Bay Hotel. I use feedback such as this to help motivate and encourage the team to perform to the highest level consistently. Obviously, on this occasion you have not experienced the true Hodson Bay experience and all of the team would like to extend our sincerest of apologies to you. I would like to assure you that this is definitely not the normal standard of service we strive to offer any guest. Should you wish to discuss this matter in greater detail please drop me a line to thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com, and I would be happy to discuss your concerns.