“Great value for money”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Room in new part overlooking Lough Ree is super, staff and service great. Wine and cheese tasting with Andreas was great fun and informative. Trip to Lockes Distillery was great also, lovely weekend. Bar food buffet was a bit bland but tasted ok.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Davecon
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

We are delighted you enjoyed your weekend and would like to thank you for your positive comments. We hold lots of team activites both indoor and outdoor and hope to see you back in the near future. Yours sincerely

Reviewed 20 January 2012

I live in athlone but as I am not a fan of carvery food, I havent eaten here very often. Last Sunday evening after the pantomine at the Dean Crowe theatre, we decided to eat here as it was convenient. BAD IDEA.
My vegetable soup was horrific, thick, tasteless accompanied by two flat excuses for bread rolls.
My husband ordered the vegetarian special at €11.50, which consisted of approx eight deep fried garlic mushrooms accompanied by a tiny salad of leaves, few slices of pepper and a dressing.
My sons order of chicken gougans and chips were deep fried to within an inch of their life.
The bil came to €21.75 ........
At 18.27 on a Sunday evening it is no wonder there was only thee other people in the bar at the time, dining room was empty.
Am sorry I didnt complain to management but I dont believe they would have been interested.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank martinaconway

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor and I would like to apologise to you as it appears nothing seemed right for you on the day. If you wish to discuss your concerns further please do not hesitate to contact me on thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

I haven't been in this hotel since 2006, but I have to say the two times I've been in it,its been in one word...fantastic. What sells it is the scenary, overlooking the lake. Its also in a secluded area,outside Athlone town centre. I was there at two functions and on both occasions the service was top class.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ASle_12

We really appreciate you positive review and may I extend a special thank you for returning to us again. We really appreciate your business in such challenging times and we have found that it is through repeat guests and customer loyalty such as yours that has really helped us as a service industry. If you decide to return again please do not hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com so that I can meet with you face to face and thank you personally, yours sincerely

Reviewed 13 January 2012

I got married in this hotel on the 23rd of December and I have to admit that I was blown away by the service we received from all the staff. Food, Facilities and service were all 5 star. We were a very small wedding party of only 19 people and had our civil ceremony in the hotel as well. From the moment we contacted Rachel (Hotels wedding planner) in the summer we knew we'd be in good hands. The day itself went off like a dream. Exactly how we wanted our day to be. Very intimate and personal.
We had the wedding ceremony in one of their conference rooms. Our flower lady, Clare Lawless (Hotel recommended her to us) did a fantastic job of decorating the room. Lots of Holly and seasonal flowers adorned the room. After the ceremony we just went across the hall to their sun room which is a massive sun lit conservatory. We had a Champagne reception in this room until our lunch was ready. Lunch was superb, We had just ordered off there Lunch menu for our wedding dinner so there was an extensive range of food available. They had set us up in The Tower Room which was perfectly sized and decorated room. We had the room all to ourselves from 2pm onwards. Right beside this room was a library room with a bar in it which we had reserved for after the meal. We stayed in this room dancing (luckily one of my Bro-in-laws is a DJ) till the early hours in the morning.
We had one of the top floor family rooms in the old part of the hotel (we had our 8 year old and 4 month old sons with us). This room was massive and perfect for the lot of us. Great views of the lake. Looked like the room had been recently decorated as everything looked new. Breakfast in the morning was top notch in the morning. They had a very extensive spread of offer.
I can't comment on the leisure facilities as I didn't avail of these but my son said that the snooker table was Class.
I'd just like to thank Rachel Jordan for helping us organise a day that we'll never forget. Also a special thanks goes to Darren for all his help as well. On the day Teresa and Colin looked after us superbly as well as all the other staff who made out day so special.
If you do decide to stay in this hotel you won't be disappointed. Unbeatable value for the level of service and quality of hotel. Thank You so much from Brian & Nuala O'Connell.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ElWarpo
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

Thank you for the very positive feedback on Trip Advisor. Lots of couples that married here are still in contact and we enjoyed the opportunity to share your special day with you. Thank you also for mentioning some of our operations team, Rachel our Wedding Co-Ordinator and our Management Team, Darren, Colin and Teresa. This gives great encouragement and your comments certainly contribute to their ongoing professionalism. Once again, many thanks and we look forward to seeing you in the future. Yours sincerely

Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights over christmas and enjoyed the break. There was a wedding on and the hotel was busy but all the staff were unfailingly polite. Our room was lovely and in the new part where there are no children so it was quiet. The leisure centre was great with a fine swimming pool and not too busy. We enjoyed that and the gym which is well equipped. Our meal in the restaurant was of a high standard, service excellent and very comfortable. The first night we had bar food, late at 9pm just as they were finishing serving and it wasn't great (not freshly cooked). The bar was our least favourite place in the hotel.
During our stay the weather was bad and we arrived in rain after dark to a very full car park. We had to search for parking and could easily have driven into the lake, down the slipway, which resembled a very wet roadway. Luckily, my husband had been to this hotel before and knew where the lake was. I can't understand why there is no safety chain across the entrance.
The towels and toiletries could be improved and a bathrobe would make a big differance to those of us who like to swim before breakfast.

Room Tip: If you have no children ask for the rooms in the new part near the leisure centre.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

We would like to thank you for your positive comments on Trip Advisor. Unfortunately there are a few aspects we can improve on. We have taken these comments on board and will act on in the coming weeks/months. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future, yours sincerely

Reviewed 8 January 2012

Spent 2 nights with a big group of family on 31st December and 1st January and we all thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is very child friendly, food was fab, staff were so helpful and the bar was good craic too!! We'll definitely be back in the summer to enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent review. We are delighted there was so many positive aspects to your stay and that you enjoyed the craic at our Waterfront Bar and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future. If you do wish to return please do not hesitate to contact me on thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com so that I can welcome you back and thank you in person, yours sincerely

Reviewed 8 January 2012

Just returned from a weekend break at the Hodson Bay and all in all we were quite disappointed with our stay there.
Good points: The setting is fantastic, the hotel looks very impresssive on arrival, the staff are very friendly and the spa is lovely.
Not so good points: Our room, albeit nice and spacious, was not of 4 star quality. It was plain, dull, there was no safe, no toiletries in the bathroom (I expected there to be shampoo/shower gel/body cream hence I didn't bring any and all there was was Dove shower cream that wasn't even attached to the wall and hadn't been re-attached!)
The bed was horrendous - it seemed to have an extra foam layer on top that was too hot and way too soft.
The room was an adjoining room, with a door leading to another, and we could hear the people next door talk and flick switches as though they were in the room with us.
We did complain after the first night, and were assured that no-body would be in the room next door the second night, and were told that all beds were probably the same..........
One of the light fittings was wobbly, the small wardrobe had an odd wood panel to make it flush to the wall but should have been stained the same as the wardrobe. All in all, terrible bad aside, the room was not of 4 star quality or aesthetics.
We had breakfast both mornings. The restaurant was very pleasant, and the staff very friendly and prompt, but the food was disappointing. There was a reasonable selection of cereals, fruit was all of the tinned variety, and the hot buffet food was not great. On the second night I asked for the vegetarian tomato & mozzarella croissant with parsley and olive oil - with no parsley or olive oil in sight and slightly under-ripe tomatoes!
We only dinner we ate was in the bar on the first night: my husband had the chicken curry and said it was lovely. I however had the plaice, which was a processed fish fillet - the uniformity of the fillets on display should have been a giveaway. Veg was nice.
There was a party of some sort on Saturday night, and it took us ages to get to sleep as all we could hear was the heavy thud of the music.
We nicely complained on leaving and were not given much of an ear. The lady before us was all platitudes and the receptionist was all ears, but we barely got a sorry when I said we slept terribly and were inconvenienced by the noise.
I imagine this would be a good hotel for a family break or a wedding, but definitely not a couples' retreat and very poor value for money.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

We appreciate the feedback on the positive aspects of your stay but unfortunately there were a few aspects of your stay that let the hotel down. I would appreciate if you could contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com so I can discuss the matter with you further, as its only through feedback such as your own that we can continue to strive for excellence. Yours sincerely.