“Beautiful location”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
County Dublin, Ireland
“Beautiful location”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Stayed at this Hotel in May for 2 nights. My partner and I both liked this Hotel and our room was overlooking the Lake. Unfortunately the weather was dull and overcast so I would say on a sunny day the views would be even more beautiful. The food was really nice in the restaurant, we loved the Leisure Centre too. We took a taxi in to Athlone town for a meal one evening, too far to walk. Had a lovely meal there and took a taxi back to hotel. That's the only downside to the location if you want to be near the town. There are lovely lake drives around here which we did so all in all would recommend this hotel for a leisurely break with lots of scenery to enjoy.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Thank you for your charming review on Trip Advisor. I was really happy to hear that you and your partner have such high recommendations of your recent stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the scenery around the hotel and we feel very privileged to be located in this wonderful nature reserve. During peak seasons and at designated times, the ‘Viking Ship’ departs our Harbour and sails to the Castle right in the heart of Athlone town. This is an enjoyable way to appreciate and take in the scenery on your way into town.

We would love to see you both back at the hotel in the future. If you do decide to return, please make sure to contact me as I would like to thank you in person for your review and valued custom.

Timothy Hayes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Polish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2013

When you have said how magnificent the setting of this hotel is, overlooking Lough Ree, you have only scratched the surface.

The hotel is well run with well appointed rooms, try to have one overlooking the lake and even better the garden too. Although very near all sorts of interesting places, Hodson Bay is a holiday house sort of area with golf and watersports, so you need a car to get around. However, the hotel is run as a resort and has all sorts of facilities and activities and no-one need be bored by drinking in the lovely view. There are lovely walks both around the lake and inland.

The hotel has great facilities for swimming, pampering and exercise and even a part-time hair salon. Children are well catered for at peak times and the tinies have their own playroom.

The bar is always very popular with locals as well as visitors, especially at holidays and you need to be patient or early to stake a claim there. The bar food is more extensive at lunch time and weekends. Evening entertainment is provided there at holdiays too. For a more sedate evening (possibly) dine in the restaurant.

Lovely, helpful staff too.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was fantastic to see that you and your family got the opportunity to avail of the facilities on offer here at the hotel. We are constantly looking at ways to improve and meet our guests’ needs and our activities are always under review. We have an amazing lakeside location right outside our door and the area itself is a wonderful nature reserve hence one of the reasons we get a lot of repeat and regular business.

We would be delighted to welcome you and your family back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet you all in person.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I will make it short and sweet ,all round very good,could do with enlarging bar area for more comfort. My stay in hotel was 2005 and 2006.entertainment good ,pool good,gym good,staff good,breakfast area very good,journey time from Dublin max one hour,kids club good.Overall very nice stay

Room Tip: look for lake view
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel and might I add that your repeat business is greatly appreciated.

I am delighted to hear that you found our in-house facilities of a high standard and I’m glad you got the opportunity to avail of these during your stay.

We feel very privileged to have such as central location, being right in the heart of Ireland. This makes us easily accessible to all parts of the country.

We would like to see you back at the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please make sure to contact me as I would love to meet you in person.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I booked the Hodson Bay for a family gathering due to its location in the centre of the country. I had not been in the hotel previously so it was a bit of a risk booking an event for 100 people sight unseen but I need not have worried. From start to finish everyone we dealt with in the hotel were an absolute pleasure and could not have made our stay and our event any more enjoyable.

As always travelling in a large group there were some people who had booked the wrong room types etc but nothing was too much trouble and everyone's needs were accomodated without any issues. Over the course of our 3 day stay I can genuinely say that everyone staff member that we as a group encountered were incredibly polite and friendly - they always had a smile on their face and were on hand to assist us in any way required. From my perspective this it is a rare and wonderful thing. This was also a comment made to me by many other members of the group so was not just my experience.

William from reservations helped me from day one of booking our event and nothing was too much to ask. A true pleasure to deal with and he delivered on everything which was promised.

John Enright - the DJ provided by the hotel - again sight unseen by myself in advance of the event was incredible. Our group ranged in age from 6 months to 84 years so a hard task for any entertainer to accomodate but John carried this out flawlessly. He had every age group on the floor and no one - even some of the regulars we would have expected to complain about the music being too loud - complained about the music and they even got up on the dance floor and participated in the brilliant party games.

The hotel put on a barbecue for our group of 100 people on Saturday night and all I can say is the food was too die for - better than any bbq I've had previously. There was more than enough for everyone to go back a number of times for "seconds" and everyone commented on how delicious it was. This was nothing less than I expected after having experienced the carvery and breakfasts in the hotel - all of which were to a very high standard.

We even managed to find time over the weekend to use the leisure centre facilities. The pool was excellent with something for everyone from a brilliant kids pool which even some of the adults enjoyed to the hydrotherapy pool. The staff once again were lovely to deal with and arrived out with different equipment for the kids without being asked.

The relatives with children also took advantage of the kids club and the tiny tots room. They were blown away by everything that was being offered FOC for families in the hotel.

The grounds and setting of this hotel are truely spectacular and in spite of some incelement weather we even managed to get a sports day in under the trees at the front of the hotel.

All in all the only way I can sum up this wonderful trip and weekend is to say that we will 100% definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your fantastic review on Trip Advisor. I would like to thank you and your family for choosing The Hodson Bay Hotel for your family get-together. We feel very privileged to have shared in this happy occasion with you and that you all enjoyed your stay.

It was fantastic to hear that the customer service you received from start to finish was of such a high standard and that all your groups needs were accommodated. I will pass on your kind words to the team as it’s important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and dedication.

Our Executive Head Chef, Mr. Rory Gabriel would like to thank you for your comments regarding the food throughout the hotel. A lot of hard work and dedication goes into sourcing local suppliers and we are constantly reviewing our methods of selection, preparation and cooking. Your feedback was greatly appreciated.

I was really happy to see that you and your family were ‘blown away’ by everything that was on offer for families in the hotel. We pride ourselves on being a family friendly hotel and the hotel itself is actually a family run business. We host many activities for both young and old and our Kids Camp gives the adults some time to relax and unwind. As a father of three myself, I understand how important that is.

Finally, I would like to say we would be honored to see you back at the hotel in the future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would like to meet with you all in person and thank you sincerely for your valued custom and your feedback.

Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Location and facilities were lovely but hotel good definately make improvements in a lot of areas. The bar cld do with some air conditioning when ther is a crowd. We had lunch which wasnt very enjoyable, the place ws so stuffy and warm and it wasnt even an exceptionally hot day outside. We were in the family side of the hotel as we were told!! It ws the older part of the hotel but that ws no excuse for the room. It didnt give a very good first impression of the hotel. The walls were all stained and dirty with paint falling off. We were there for a weekend and had expected more than this for the price. Over all not what we had expected from this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. While I appreciate there were many positive aspects to your stay, I was disappointed to hear that you did not find your room to your liking.

I would like to apologise profusely for any anxiety caused. It was unfortunate that I did not get to speak to your prior to your departure and perhaps I could have moved you to a more suitable room. I can assure you that this is not a true reflection of the high standards we expect here at the hotel. We currently have a painter on-site and I can assure you this matter will be rectified. Feedback such as yours is vital to the success of any business and is greatly appreciated.

We would feel honored to welcome you back to the hotel. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me and perhaps I could offer you some form of recompense as a gesture of goodwill.

Tullylease, Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 22 June 2013

this hotel offers excellent value and service would definitely recommend it. We stayed in family room and the hotel has plenty to offer pity the kids club doesn't start till end of june but the pool was great and there are lots of activities nearby

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

We pride ourselves on being a family friendly hotel and the hotel itself is in fact a family run business. We are very central to lots of family amenities as well as hosting many indoor activities to keep both young and old entertained.

We would love to see you all back at the hotel in the near future where hopefully your children get the chance to experience our Kids Club. Our camp is fully supervised which gives Mum & Dad can get the chance to relax and unwind. If you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact myself or my PA.

Ballyclare
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Spectacular hotel in spectacular setting on the banks of Lough Ree just outside Athlone. Staff are very friendly and efficient, wonderful leisure centre with hydrotherapy section, spacious and well-equipped rooms with views over the lough. There is a comprehensive list of "activities" laid on for guests FOC, such as whiskey tasting, wine tasting, spa sampling etc. My only criticism (and its a small one) is that I would prefer a proper bar menu rather than just a carvery for more eating options. For anyone wanting a break in stunning surroundings with plenty to do this is the place to go.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Janet S
Thank you for your charming review on Trip Advisor. I was really happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was fantastic to see that you got the opportunity to avail of many of our in-house facilities during your stay and that you appreciated the beauty of our location, for which we are very privileged. The points you have raised will be highlighted and discussed at our next Management meeting as we are constantly looking at ways to improve and strive for excellence. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and admired.

We would love to see you back at the hotel in the near future. If you do return please feel free to contact me as I would like the opportunity to meet with you and thank you in person for your feedback and custom.