“Great stay back on top form”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Just stayed for four nights which started as three but we had such a good stay we extended our visit. All my concerns about a previous visit have been addressed. Room was lovely, leisure centre great and food excellent. Even though the hotel was very busy the staff were lovely and very helpful. We have two children who have special diets and the hotel was great. So glad I can write an excellent review. I also used the spa and I can rave about it enough, fantastic and my therapist was excellent.

Room Tip: Bring a hat for the swimming pool.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Thank you for your kind words on Trip Advisor. It was fantastic to hear that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel and that everything to of the high standard we expect here on a consistent basis.

We feel very privileged to have been so busy and I was delighted to hear that this did not affect our overall customer service skills. I will make sure to relay your comments to the rest of the Management team. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated as it’s important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and loyalty to the hotel.

We would be honored to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would love to meet with you and your family in person and thank you for your valued feedback and repeat custom.

Timothy Hayes

Write a ReviewReviews (2,242)

Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

This is my third stay in the hodson bay with my wife and 2 children. We had a joined room for our 2 kids and the only fault I can find is that the rooms were quite stuffy due to the unexpected Irish heat. There was no air con in either room and the windows only opened approx 6 inches. Other than that I cannot find any real fault. If its peace and relaxation you're after then the hodson bay is not the place to stay as it was extremely busy with families and young children. This suited us perfectly as our kids could partake in the kids club. The leisure facilities are excellent but also very busy during the day. The location is beautiful right on the shores of lough ree. All in all we has a great time and will return again.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. I was happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel and might I add that your repeat business is greatly appreciated.

I would like to apologise profusely for any anxiety caused with regards to the heat in your bedroom. It was unfortunate that I did not get to speak to you prior to your departure and perhaps I could have moved you to a more suitable room or offered you some form of recompense as a gesture of goodwill.

We would be delighted to welcome you all back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We were doing a mini trip around the coast of Ireland south, and the night we spent in the Hodson was our last night. The hotel is in the luxury class, surrounded by grassy land and is situated on Lough Ree which is part of the river Shannon. The staff were most helpful. The room was gorgeous and the bed was soft and comfortable.We had a drink in the bar, again great service. We did not eat there, we had other plans. The breakfast was great, a buffet with lots of choice. The waitresses in the restaurant were very attentive.The hotel is simply beautiful inside and out. Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the lake would be an added bonus.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your charming review on Trip Advisor. I was really happy to hear that you and your partner have such high recommendations of your recent stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was great to see that our standard of customer service and food throughout the hotel was of such a high quality. I will make sure to display your kind words in our staff facilities as it’s important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and dedication, especially in these tough times

We feel extremely fortunate for our location. We have a natural waterside location right outside our door and the area itself is actually a nature reserve. We are also located right in the heart of Ireland! Hence the reason we get a lot of repeat and regular guests

Finally, I would like to say we would be honored to see you back at the hotel in the future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would like to meet with you all in person and thank you sincerely for your valued custom and your feedback.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

The Hodson Bay Hotel was a big surprise. Reviews looked good, and location looked good. But I did not expect the excellent level of service and consistent staff helpfulness. Even though the weather was unusually hot - I will be going back to the Hodson regardless of the weather. The swimming pool and associated facilities were great - and my son loved the kids club. The restaurants had great food and great ambience.

Room Tip: New part of the hotel apparently has air conditioning - where the old part doesn't. Not normall...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was fantastic to see that you and your family got the opportunity to avail of many of the facilities on offer during your stay. We host many indoor and outdoor activities and these are constantly under review to meet our guests’ needs.

It was heartwarming to hear that you found the level of customer service throughout the hotel to be of such a high standard and I will make sure to display your kind words in our team’s facilities. It’s important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and dedication and we feel very privileged to have such fantastic staff on our team. Your kind words will be greatly appreciated.

We would love to welcome you and your family back to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please make sure to contact me as I would love to meet you all in person.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

We arrived on a hot day in July. There was nowhere to park and no sign of any porters. The place was overspilling with tourists, a lady golfers' society and a wedding party, all in good spirits. There didn't seem to be any air conditioning, or it wasn't working properly. The room (in the older part of the hotel) was like a chalet from a 1960s holiday camp with a letterbox for a window. Again, no aircon and no fans available to borrow. No wifi signal and no ethernet cable in the room or available to borrow, although one did eventually arrive. Eat in the restaurant, rather than the carvery. The lasagna/moussaka looked like a Greek tragedy. Don't be fooled by the four star rating. This place is in a scenic position and good enough for a stopover, but nothing more.

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank Arthurlonius

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I would like to apologise profusely for any anxiety caused during your stay. It was unfortunate that I did not get to speak to you prior to your departure and perhaps I could have moved you to a more suitable room or offered you some form of recompense as a gesture of goodwill.

You are correct in saying we have been very busy for which we are very privileged. We are very fortunate to have had this unusual spell of hot weather and I can assure you that we have made the necessary arrangements to purchase extra fans as customer care and satisfaction is of utmost importance and the key to any successful business. Hence, the reason we get a lot of repeat and regular guests.

We would be honored if you would return to the hotel in the future. If you do decide to return, please make sure to contact myself or my PA as we would like to make the necessary arrangements for you and make amends for this regrettable experience.

Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

I Stayed in hodson bay for two nights with my husband and three children. Very disappointed with bedroom -extremely small and dark. Food was delicious in the restaurant.
The Children's playroom was very small. But it was supervised. So we could enjoy our dinner in the evening.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Rachele105

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed to hear that your room was not to your satisfaction and it was very unfortunate that I did not get to speak to you prior to your departure and perhaps I could have moved you to a more suitable room or offered you some form of recompense for any anxiety caused.

On a positive note, I was delighted to hear that you and your children got the opportunity to avail of our kids camp during your stay. As a father of three myself, I understand how nice it is for us parents to get the chance to relax and spend some quality time together away from the kids and mostly importantly, to be confident their in safe hands.

We would love to see you and your family return to the hotel in the near future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact myself or my PA and we can make the necessary arrangements for you and ensure your room is a more suitable one.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Nice room, great location, not much love for the customer.
Booked this on the day while travelling.
No record of booking at reception and took just too long to sort it.
Asked for food just after 10 pm, in high season for a tourist hotel, and was told I had to go to my room to order it - even a sandwich.
Asking nicely was going to have no effect.
Beautiful evening and 100 plus people sitting outside drinking. Even if you don't want to try to make the customer happy, wouldnt it be a good business to offer something to eat?
In recession hit Ireland there are hoteliers who try harder and are more deserving of your business.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Photodealer

Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed to read of your experience and I can assure you that this is not a true reflection of the high standards we maintain and achieve here on a consistent basis.

I would like to apologise profusely for any anxiety caused. I have spoken to our Reservations and Reception Managers and they too would like to send their sincere apologies for the shortcomings you received. It was very unfortunate that I did not get to speak to you prior to your departure and perhaps I could have offered you some form of recompense as a gesture of goodwill. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and respected. We feel very privileged to have had such a busy and successful season to date and I can assure you that if we treated all our guests in this manner we would not have so many repeat and regular guests.

We would not be happy to allow our guests to leave the hotel with a negative impression. We would be delighted if you would return to the hotel in the near future and afford us the opportunity to make amends for this regrettable experience. If you do wish to return, please make sure to contact myself or my PA and we can make the necessary arrangements for you and ensure your stay is a more enjoyable one.