“Needs a bit of updating.”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Galway, Ireland
“Needs a bit of updating.”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed here for a wedding in September. My first i,pression was very plain and needed updatign. We got a room at the front of the hotel and hoped to have a great view but alas, no. We were stuck behing the main hotel sign and had a view of a filthy rooftop. The bathroom door didn't close. Room was very average. The public areas of the hotel need updating- it's very old fashioned. The banquet hall was like every other banquet hall- nothing special. The food was good and the staff very attentive. Breakfast was only ok- the hot food was more tepid than hot. Overall, for the amount of money we paid for 1 night- I was not impressed at all and wouldn't be rushing back in a hurry.

Room Tip: Room 104 has a rubbish view and when we stayed there the bathroom door didn't close.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. While I appreciate there were many positive aspects to your stay, I was disappointed to hear that you did not find your room to your liking. It was very unfortunate that I did not get to speak to you before your departure and perhaps I could have offered you a room upgrade or some form of recompense as a gesture of goodwill.

I would like to thank you for your valued and admired criticism’s with regards to room 104. I have relayed your information to our Maintenance team and I can assure you that this matter will be rectified. At this moment in time we are updating a considerable amount of bedrooms, bedroom products and hallways.

On a positive note, I was delighted to hear that the food and customer services skills were of a high standard and I will endeavor to pass on your kind words of encouragement to the Banqueting and Kitchen team.

We would love to welcome you both back to the hotel and afford us the opportunity to make amends for this regrettable experience. If you do wish to return, I would ask that you contact myself or my PA so we can make the necessary arrangements for you and to ensure your room is a more suitable one and your stay a happier one.

Timothy Hayes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Polish first
Ireland
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Very disappointed with this Hotel. Just a very ordinary Hotel a little soulless.
More suited to families or older people.
Reception Staff pleasant but get the impression just doing their job nothing really welcoming.
Room clean but ordinary.
Dinner just ok staff pleasant.
Don't have breakfast in your room served cold and toast soggy.
No hair conditioner in rooms or bottled water.
Did not try leisure centre but looks good.
Nothing really bad to say but nothing really good either.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Catherine16
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. While I appreciate there was positive aspects to your stay, I was disappointed to read that you were not entirely satisfied with the hotel in general.

Customer care and satisfaction is the key to any successful business and we do get a lot of repeat and regular guests because of this. It was very unfortunate that I did not get to speak to you prior to your departure and perhaps I could have offered you a room upgrade or some form of recompense as a gesture of goodwill.

We would be delighted if you would return and offer us the opportunity to make amends. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact myself or my PA and we can make the necessary arrangements for you and ensure your stay is a happier one.

Cavan
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I was involved in organising a forty fourth year Teacher Graduation Reunion and with the help of a friend we chose the Hodson Bay Hotel. What an excellent choice we made. Thirty three of us had a most wonderful meal. The staff were absolutely superb - so helpful and accommodating not to mention their patience. The rooms were superb. Having stayed in a renowned Dublin 5* hotel earlier in the week the Hodson Bay far exceeded that 5* premises. The breakfast was so good that it lasted us the whole day. I recommend the Hodson Bay to any group who are organising a reunion. The rates they offered were great value. We'll be back for the 50th "do" - Zimmer frames and all!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your fantastic review on Trip Advisor. I would like to thank you and your group for choosing The Hodson Bay Hotel for your graduation re-union. We feel very privileged to have had your custom and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay.

It was fantastic to hear that the customer service you received was of such a high standard and that all your groups needs were accommodated. I will pass on your kind words to the team as it’s important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and dedication, especially in these tough, economic and challenging times.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the Management Team, we would be honored if you and your group chose the hotel for your next re-union. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me on your return as I would love to meet you all in person and thank you for your valued and appreciated custom.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We took my partners 12 year old twins for an overnight stay and we all are absolutely blown away by this hotel. This hotel really provides everything you expect from a 4 star hotel and much more. The location is beautiful, the staff was friendly and accomodating, the food was excellent and the layout of the family room (218) is very clever - with the two parts of the room being separated by a coridor. The room also has a big fridge which enabled us to bring our own snacks and drinks for the kids. The pool area is gorgeous and clean, there was a life guard on duty and it was obvious that he took this job seriously - so we could enjoy ourselves without constantly watching the kids. Great music in the bar in the evening.
The management of the hotel with their staff seem to understand that staying in a hotel is a big deal in times like this and they do their very best to provide an excellent experience. Everyting was just perfect. This is probably the best hotel we have been to in Ireland and we will be back.

Room Tip: Room 218 is a great family room, great view also.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your lovely words on Trip Advisor. I was thrilled to hear that you had such a memorable time here at The Hodson Bay Hotel and we feel very privileged to have had your custom.

We are very fortunate to have been so busy and I was delighted to hear that this did not affect our overall customer service skills. I will make sure to relay your comments to the rest of the Management team. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated as its important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and loyalty to the hotel.

I was delighted to see that you got the opportunity to avail of some of our in house facilities during your stay. We host many indoor & outdoor activities and we are constantly looking at ways to improve to meet all our guest’s needs.

We would love to see you back at the hotel in the near future. If you do return please feel free to contact me as I would like the opportunity to meet with you and thank you in person for your feedback and custom.

County Donegal, Ireland
Reviewed 19 October 2013

an overnight break started well, with no problem about checking in (very) early.... the setting is glorious (assisted by a lovely sunny Autumn day) - room very well appointed, and quiet (not too many channels on the TV, but this isn't a place to come to to sit in your room and watch TV!) - didn't use the spa, but the pool, with an array of features to massage the body and soul, was great - even a kids' swimming lesson going on didn't spoil the enjoyment... had lunch, and a bar meal in the Waterfront Bar - both were tasty, and served by friendly staff.... breakfast was good, with plenty of fruit etc., to add to the "full Irish" - plenty of space around the hotel to relax quietly (we sat in the library, reading the newspapers, and we had the place to ourselves...) we had a great stay, and would recommend wholeheartedly....

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your charming review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you had such a wonderful time during your recent stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was fantastic to see that you got the opportunity to avail of many of our in-house facilities during your stay and that you appreciated the beauty of our location, for which we are very privileged. It was lovely to hear that you found our food and our customer service skills during your stay to of such a high standard and I will endeavor to pass on your kind words to the rest of the Management Team.

We would love to see you both back at the hotel in the near future. Please make sure to contact me if you do return as I would love to get the opportunity to meet with you in person.

Galway
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

Last week myself and my partner spent two nights in the Hodson Bay and I have to say it was an amazing break. We enjoyed every part of it. Breakfast each morning was delicious. We ate in the bar one night and the restaurant the next and again the food and service were super. One of highlights of our stay was the leisure centre and the thermal suite, they were so relaxing and enjoyable, couple that with the spectacular views and we felt like we were in paradise. Thanks to all the team for making our stay special

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your charming review on Trip Advisor. I was really happy to hear that you and your partner have such high recommendations of your recent stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

It was lovely to hear that you found the food during your stay to of such a high standard. I passed on your kind words to Mr. Rory Gabriel, our Executive Head Chef and he too would like to send you his sincere thanks. A lot of hard work and dedication goes into sourcing local suppliers and we are constantly reviewing our methods of selection, preparation and cooking. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

It was also fantastic to see that you both got the opportunity to avail of many of our in-house facilities during your stay and that you appreciated the beauty of our location, for which we are very privileged.

We would love to see you both back at the hotel in the future. If you do decide to return, please make sure to contact me as I would like to thank you in person for your review and valued custom.

cork
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed in Hodson Bay last weekend, there was a mix up on ourside reception staff went the extra mile to get me aroom . Had friend on sixth floor super rooms and facilities. Lovely food on Friday, good mix of staff. Full house but no sign of panic. Will return great value to be had. Well done to all.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay here at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

Customer care and satisfaction is the key to any successful business and I was happy to hear that you found our staff ‘went the extra mile’. I will make sure to display your kind words in our team’s facilities as its important for staff morale, especially in these tough, economic and challenging times.