“So Disapointed”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed for two nights over Christmas with our baby girl. This used to be my absolute favourite hotel, have not been in a few years and was really looking forward to it, was a birthday treat from my husband. We decided on check-in to stay an extra night and very quickly regretted it, went in to our room which was a mile away from the lift and so disappointing, it over looked a roof and was old and dated, carpet was frayed and coming up in places and the room was impossible to negotiate with a buggy, was just a sad place really! I went down stairs and offered to pay extra to change or upgrade to a better room, explained I was disappointed, was given a key and told to take a look at another room, it was much the same but had a nice view. Evening meal in restaurant was lovely as was the pool and spa. Carvery was awful, very poor selection and just awful, awful food like something in a school canteen over cooked veg, triffle that could of been there for over a week and also really expensive, I did complain and got a refund, they also charged me €2.95 when I asked for a couple of chips with me main meal?! Two scones and tea nearly €10... I know the hotel cant do anything about the amount of kids but they should have a policy that they are at the least supervised in the bar some child tried to repeatedly kick me in the face, they blocked the lifts I could not get in or out, they even jumped over our buggy with our baby in it, no adults in sight?! What really upset me was when I came back from the pool with my little girl our room had been serviced, I left my handbag and wallet etc in the room along with my rings and other jewellery, our room door was wedged open children from neighbouring rooms were running in and out of our room, and no house keeping staff were anywhere to be seen, I was freaked, I asked kids to leave, closed the door and checked everything I brought this to a managers attention on checkout and I really did not get a satisfactory response, it just was not acceptable and I don't think he understood how upsetting I found this anything could of been taken! I can not see us returning to this hotel, there is much nicer places to stay in Athlone. It is no longer my favourite place to stay and I would not recommend it as I would of in the past.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of the Hodson Bay Hotel. I am terribly disappointed to read your comments. As a team we have discussed this and all here would like to apologise most sincerely for any shortcomings you encountered. Since your stay here the hotel we have taken time to review your concerns and we have addressed many areas. I appreciate we did get the opportunity to speak over the phone and I now feel we will have the occasion to see you again in the Hodson Bay Hotel and it will be great to meet you in person and welcome you back
Kindest Regards

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Returned to the Hodson Bay again with the family to ring in the new year so I'll start my review from the moment I checked in until I checked out. Having stayed here in 2012/2013 we loved it so much the staff were great the hotel was nice the food was nice we decided to book it again for 2013/2014 however when my wife rang some family and friends on New Year's Day 2013 to wish them we'll and was bragging about the great time we had they asked us if we were returning again to get some prices and they would join us so in the end I rebooked 3 family rooms 4 Double rooms total of 14 people in the booking so when I arrived my room was available which was great because I had decided to book a 2 Bedroom family suite this year the rest of the rooms weren't ready yet but infairness we did arrive earlier than the check in time when I tried to pay the girl tried to charge me more than I had an invoice for so when I told her I would settle the bill upon departure when I could get the invoice from my email to clarify that was okay so up to the room we went and wow it was a great room very spacious indeed the beds and pillows were very comfie alike it overlooked the bay had 2 TVs with all the basic tv channels while this was a lovely room I'm not too sure the €100 surcharge to upgrade to the 2 Bedroom Family Suite was justifiable to be honest so anyway got some lunch in the Waterfront Bar and again the standards haven't dropped from the previous year I was here good quality bar food then we all went down to the pool again we all enjoyed it kids had great fun and then we finished up in the pool and brought the kids to the kids club so there was a decent choice for the kids to choose from for dinner and dessert although both my kids said the quality wasn't great which is surprising so off we went to have our evening meal in the restaurant not all the adults on the booking we're eating on New Year's Eve so those of us that did have our meal on New Years Eve were very disappointed with the menu everything on it seemed so posh and fancy don't get me wrong I'm sure it's really nice for people that like fine dining but those that like to be able to understand what they wanted the menu wasn't great so one of our party asked the waitress was there an alternative menu as we didn't think much of the menu to be fair the waitress handled the complaint well and got some feedback as to what we might like and explained what exactly some of the dishes were so we all got sorted in the restaurant and waited for the food to arrive the majority got of us got steak and the waitress advised the type of steak it was the chef recommends it's cooked medium to rare so we were happy to go with that however some of the steaks came out with the blood really dripping out of them which knocked some of the other guests off it was my first time eating a steak cooked that way and yes I did enjoy it others had the pork which they said wasn't great at all dessert was okay but nothing to get excited about. Now the remaining adults on the booking had their evening meal on the evening of New Year's Day and there menu was so much better and a lot more choice, So back to the bar we went to have some drinks while waited for the New Years ball to commence the bar is very tight on space to get any sort of large group in unless you want to sit in the conservatory attached although I found it cold and some what isolated from the rest of the bar it was very very warm in the bar so much so we had to ask for the fire not to be lit and the heating turned down which they did and it seemed to make a difference so off we went into the ball and again it was a good night with complementary champagne to ring in the new year and free platters of hot food after the bells rang in but I must say the platters got smaller this year in comparison to the previous year and the quality wasn't great either but at that stage everyone was drunk and merry and didn't seem to mind. So onto New Year's Day breakfast was very good no complaints at all, kids dropped off to the kids club and back to bed I went for some much needed sleep and came down for lunch which again didn't let us down so there was a heavy sports calendar on New Year's Day with the majority of the sports on BT Sports which the bar don't have a subscription to we we're left watching sky sports news a lot of the customers in the bar were disappointed they couldn't watch the Man Utd Match and were surprised that such a busy bar doesn't have subscription to BT Sports the bar on New Year's Day was lacking atmosphere there was music playing in the background but it seemed to be hit and miss and then it would stop playing for a while then come back on so we had some carvery for dinner at about half 7 and they had run out of some of the joints of meat so I had chicken and the usual veg and mash and again very tasty indeed so now we were subjected to Darts fort the night until the band came on a half 10 and finished up at Midnight the band was okay by no means wedding band material. So on the Thursday again no complaints with breakfast and we checked out and had some lunch and hit the road home then. Would I recommend this hotel to anyone yes I would, would I rebook this hotel again yes I would, will I return again for a third consecutive new year I'm not sure I think maybe after doing it for 2 years in a row and feel that this year wasn't as enjoyable or as busy as last year I think we're going to look around some other hotels to see what other hotels have to offer but One thing must be said for the hotel the staff are a credit to the management.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment. We appreciate that it was made some time ago, however, as part of a revised social media policy we want to ensure that each and every comment is reviewed and that steps have been made to improve our services.

Customer satisfaction is key here at the Hodson Bay Hotel and our repeat customers are a testimony of the high standards we strive to keep. You state that 'One thing must be said for the hotel the staff are a credit to the management'. It was fantastic to read that you found our staff so helpful and accommodating. Positive feedback such as yours boosts staff morale and encourages team performance and enthusiasm, especially in these tough, economic and challenging times. Your kind words will be greatly appreciated.

We do hope that, if you have not already done so, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Hodson Bay Hotel. If you would like to return some time in the near future or for a Christmas Break, I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Kind Regards,

Tim Hayes

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights over New Year.

The location is fantastic overlooking the lake.

The food was very good having had dinner there one evening and breakfast twice.

On the bar counter there was a couple of bottles of cordial so that you could help yourself. There was also filter water by the bar with glasses. This was a nice touch.

There was complimentary wine and cheese tasting on our first night which was a nice touch.

The leisure facilities are generally good but unfortunately the jacuzzi wasn't warm which does defeat the purpose of having a jacuzzi.

The pillows were rock solid and not comfortable. After the first night I contacted housekeeping to see if they could provide something better. I got speaking to someone called Andres. He said that they don't have anything softer but they have the same pillow only thinner. He said he would bring them to the room. I explained that we were going for a swim but that if he left them in the room that would be great. I couldn't feel any difference in the pillows on the second night. The bed itself was just ok. It could have been better. For a 4 star hotel you would expect a great nights sleep.

The room itself was just ok. It could benefit from being upgraded. There were tea and coffee making facilities. The TV had just two channels with no satellite / free view. There was no safety deposit box which is unusual.

The corridor outside our room was quite noisy on several occasions.

The hotel isn't a spa hotel. It's geared towards families. There were a lot of children running about the hotel when we were there.

When checking out the lady on reception didn't ask if we enjoyed our stay which was unusual.

We paid a lot for our break. We had a good time overall but I definitely wouldn't give this hotel 4 stars. It would be more a 3 star with 4 star prices.

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for taking the time and effort to share your views regarding your recent stay in the Hodson Bay Hotel. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your time with us and you found the team to be very friendly and helpful and I am also very happy to see that you found the food to be excellent. It is also encouraging to see that you found our in house activities to be a welcome addition to our facilities. I have noted areas of concern in your review and we will always act on all feed back

Thank you again and should you wish to be included in our Special Offer database please send me your e-mail address to thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com. Thank you again and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 28 December 2013

I have stayed in this hotel many times and every Christmas for the last eight years! I have stayed in both the retreat and old part of hotel...love the retreat as it is adult only.. peaceful and quiet however when with the family we stay in the old part especially at Christmas as the atmosphere is great!! The staff are extremely friendly and helpful...breakfast is amazing with a huge choice of hot & cold food also the food in the restaurant and bar pretty good too! I would highly recommend The Spa the therapists and treatments are just fantastic total relaxation in a beautiful setting pure bliss!! The hotel has beautiful views and surroundings....looking forward to my next visit already!!

Room Tip: The Retreat or a lakeview room!!
1  Thank MurphyL193

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your fantastic feedback and your very valued repeat business over the years. In these tough economic times its really important that we have a consistent level of repeat business such as yours. We as you are aware run a very extensive Christmas package and we also enjoy a very strong level of repeat families like your self over the years.

I look forward to welcoming you back this year and hope that 2014 is a peaceful and prosperous year for you, your friends and family

Kinds Regards

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I recently stayed at the Hodson Bay Hotel with friends. Room was spacious and clean and most of all quiet.
We stayed in the newer part ot the hotel. The views are spectacular on a clear day.

Staff were friendly and pleasant to deal with at all times during an exceptionally busy weekend.

The breakfast room is not conducive to eating comfortably in as it is very badly laid out. The buffet area for hot food is in one corner with the juice/cereals etc slap bang in the middle of the room so you have a constant stream of people passing by all the time.

Room Tip: If you want a good nights sleep opt for the newer wing.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time and effort to share your views regarding your recent stay in the Hodson Bay Hotel. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your time with us and you found the team to be very friendly and helpful and I am also very happy to see that you found the views excellent. It is also encouraging to see your feedback on our breakfast room and of course we will be looking at ways to make it a more comfortable experience. Generally, the feedback regarding the Breakfast is excellent. However I do note your comment.

Thank you again and should you wish to be included in our Special Offer database please send me your e-mail address to thayes@Hodsonbayhotel.com. Thank you again and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Stayed here for a weekend. When we got here first(around 5-check isn't till 430) there was a massive Que. We eventually got to reception to be greeted by a rude receptionist and first thing we were asked for was our credit card.When we got to our room it was a double, We had booked a twin room.After re queuing the same receptionist continued to try and convince us we had booked a double but when we produced or confirmation she did not look at it but turned her back and walked away.She was very argumentative.We were eventually given a twin room.We had also asked for non feathered bedding due to allergies and were given feathered bedding.We had wanted to have treatments in the spa but when we rang the week before were told that it was all booked out,that you need to book it at least 3 weeks in advance so we just used the pool and the thermal suite.Both were lovely and staff in the spa were lovely.We got dinner in the restaurant the first night.It was nice but very expensive and wasn't anything special for that.Our waitress Sinead was lovely.Breakfast was really good-loads of selection and everything was always been refilled.Staff were really good as well. On the Saturday there was a wedding and at night we could here the music all night(we were on the top floor at the opposite side of hotel). On the Saturday morning were woken by housekeeping staff at 930 to clean the room(we had wanted a sleep in and breakfast was till 11).We got up shortly afterwards and returned to the around 1130(our room had not been cleaned), we were just back in room when housekeeping came back,we told them it would another hour before we would be out of the room, she just sighed loudly and walked off.Never seen staff anywhere in all the hotels I've stayed in so eager to clean the rooms.When we arrived the day before staff had still been cleaning rooms.There were loads of family's and children around as well. More of a family hotel rather then somewhere you'd go for a girls weekend. Even in the bar on Friday night there were lots of children. There is not enough parking either.There was a few spaces when we arrived but We had gone into Athlone on Saturday and were lucky to get parking when we came back. Cars were parked everywhere(on footpaths etc).

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

I am terrible disappointed to read of your concerns raised with regard to your visit to the Hodson Bay. I feel its always upsetting for me when people decide to spend, not alone there money but also there precious time with us and they feel it didn't meet or exceeded there expectations.
I would love if you had the opportunity to contact me directly so I could have the opportunity to apologise in a more personal way. If you are interested in returning some time in the future please don't hesitate to make yourself aware to us and we will be happy to meet you in person to discuss your concerns. Kind Regards

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Everything was just perfect – the rooms, the leisure centre, location, views etc. You can get anything you want for breakfast – all options were available: Full Irish, cheeses, ham, fruit, scones etc. I wish I could stay longer – it was part of work trip & we had to leave early in the morning.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

I really appreciate your feedback in relation to your stay with us he at the Hodson Bay Hotel and I understand that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay and if you don't mid I would like to focus in on one of the points you made in particular and that was breakfast. I am delighted that you mentioned it as we have in our Hotel and in our two sister properties pay a lot of attention in the preparation and sourcing of all our products and its fantastic to see you have enjoyed the fruits of our labour. If you are ever look at returning please don't hesitate to contact me so I get the opportunity to thank you in person. Kind Regards