“Christmas Stay”

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
“Christmas Stay”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We spent 4 nights over Christmas (23rd - 27th December 2013). There were 18 in our group from grandparents to grandchildren. This was our first time staying in a hotel for Christmas and we were a bit nervous but we had a brilliant time and cannot praise the hotel enough. All the staff were cheerful, helpful and couldn't do enough for you. From housekeeping to front desk they were always pleasant. The rooms were lovely, clean and bright with a very comfortable bed. In the rooms they have tea / coffee facilities, iron and a hairdryer. Our room had a shower in the bath with a good shower curtain that didn't float in on you while you showered. All areas of the hotel were comfortably warm.

The food was very good and fresh. The buffet breakfast had everything you could want - full Irish Breakfast, pancakes, cereals, fruit, pastries. We ate in the restaurant which was also very good. Even though we were a large group the food was freshly cooked and came out promptly. We also had food from the bar which was good quality and quantity. There was filter water by the bar with glasses which you could help yourself to. For Christmas dinner they had the banquet hall set up. They had live music playing but not too loud that you couldn't speak. The food was very good and fresh. It was like it had just come out of the oven. I don't know how they did it when they were cooking for so many people.

We found the pool to be brilliant. It was a nice warm temperature and big enough to accommodate kids playing and adults swimming. They also have really powerful jets (hydrotherapy) which were excellent. They have a lifeguard on duty and he gave us floating devices for the kids (without us asking - that is what the staff in this hotel are like!). They also provide towels and swimming caps.

We would definitely return, maybe next time in the summer so we can take advantage of it's great location by the lake.

Room Tip: The new part of the hotel is quieter
1 Thank luisahamilton
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. It was fantastic to hear that the customer service you received from start to finish was of such a high standard and that all your groups needs were accommodated. I will pass on your kind words to the team as it’s important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and dedication.

You mention that you 'found the pool to be brilliant'. I am delighted that you have enjoyed the high standard facilities we have here at the Hodson Bay and that our staff were competent and accommodating. I was really happy to hear that everything else throughout your stay was to the high standard we expect and achieve here on a consistent basis and I will pass on your kind words to the team.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you have since returned to stay with us here at Hodson Bay Hotel. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Tim Hayes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This is my third time going to this hotel, went with husband, then went again with friends and this time I tried it out with husband and two young kids. We really enjoyed it. Went the weekend after new years and just before kids went back to school and we were surprised it was so packed, obviously everyone had the same idea. We got a lovely room overlooking the lake, spotless and spacious enough. This time because I had the kids with me we used the kids club. I found this really good, I have a 6 yr old and 1.5 year old and it was great to get some time on our own, my 6 year old loved going to the kids club, this was on in the morning from 10 till 1 and then at night from 6 till 11. He was well looked after, got his dinner with the club and played games and every night they got to watch a film, and then the 1.5 year old was able to go to a supervised baby room from 6.30 till 8.30 so we were able to sit back and relax, have some food and couple of drinks, we really needed a break and this is exactly what we go. In fact, we had only booked for two nights but after the first night we decided to stay an extra night. Leisure facilities very good, didn't get any spa treatments but will definitely go again and try them out. Had a meal one night in restaurant and if you are going to this hotel you definitely have to try the food, it was really really nice. Waiter was lovely, in fact all staff are very friendly and mannerly. Cant say a bad word about this place and I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dublingirl71
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Thank you very much for choosing to stay in the Hodson Bay again, its really important for us to have so many repeat guests and can I thank you for your repeat business and may I also thank you for this wonderful feedback. I am delighted that you had such a pleasant time whilst you and your friends were staying here.

Your positive comments are so welcome and most encouraging. I would like to thank you very much for your kind praise of our hotel and the facilities we offer to all guests, particularly the costumer service as all on the team put a huge amount of time and effort into this on a daily basis. I am delighted that you enjoyed the superb kids camp they certainly are wonderful team of young people working in there.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.
Best regards
offaly
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the new year . I must say ,the music was wonderful . The staff can take a bow ,we never seen any hotel we have being to so far ,sweep up the balloons after ringing in new year .The floor was in great condition .The champers was flowing. We up graded and our rooms were beautyful there was no children allowed in our area. There was a lot of familys there. You could have a swim and relaz . Breakfast was outstanding . We were very dissappointed with the food served in dining room. We had a meal new years eve and new years day ,not good. Pity everything else was great .Food in bar looked good .

Room Tip: Up grade to the new wing
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your positive feedback. Customer satisfaction is of upmost importance here at the Hodson Bay and by providing us with your feedback, you are helping us to maintain the high standards we strive for.

I would like to apologise for any shortcomings you received while dining with us and I can assure you that this is not a true reflection of the high standards we achieve here on a consistent basis, however there was an obvious lapse in standards on this occasion.

You mention in your comment that 'the staff can take a bow ,we never seen any hotel we have being to so far'. It was great to see that our standard of customer service throughout the hotel was fantastic and I will make sure to display your kind words in our staff facilities. Its important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and dedication, especially in these tough times.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you have since returned to make many more happy memories at Hodson Bay Hotel. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We recently stayed in this hotel (between Christmas & New Year) after hearing great reviews from others, but I was very dissapointed with the room. The four of us were squashed into a tiny dated room with no air and very little light. Our bed was right beside the door so once 7am came we had the cleaning staff banging glasses and trollies which woke us up.

When we arrived the first day we didnt get to check into our room until 4.45 so most of that day was gone. I asked for a late check out the day we left so we could use the kids club and swimming pool but I was told no so we basically had one and a half days which cost us almost €400.

On saying that they have a fantastic kids club with great entertainment and also a good option of food for them (not a chicken nugget in sight!).

We also found the food in the restaurant lovely and the staff friendly but for the price and bad accomadation I would not return.

Room Tip: Stay away from the old part of the hotel.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. I would like to apologise profusely for any anxiety caused and I can assure you that this is not a true reflection of the high standards we achieve here on a consistent basis. It was also unfortunate that I did not get to speak to you prior to your departure and perhaps I could have moved you to a more suitable room.

You mention that we have a 'have a fantastic kids club with great entertainment '. Here at the Hodson Bay we strive to provide something for all the family and I'm delighted to hear that your children had an enjoyable time with us.

In the interim we have made vast changes to our facilities and are continually seeking to improve on our customer satisfaction. We do hope that, if you have not already done so, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Hodson Bay Hotel to see these changes for yourself. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed for two nights over Christmas with our baby girl. This used to be my absolute favourite hotel, have not been in a few years and was really looking forward to it, was a birthday treat from my husband. We decided on check-in to stay an extra night and very quickly regretted it, went in to our room which was a mile away from the lift and so disappointing, it over looked a roof and was old and dated, carpet was frayed and coming up in places and the room was impossible to negotiate with a buggy, was just a sad place really! I went down stairs and offered to pay extra to change or upgrade to a better room, explained I was disappointed, was given a key and told to take a look at another room, it was much the same but had a nice view. Evening meal in restaurant was lovely as was the pool and spa. Carvery was awful, very poor selection and just awful, awful food like something in a school canteen over cooked veg, triffle that could of been there for over a week and also really expensive, I did complain and got a refund, they also charged me €2.95 when I asked for a couple of chips with me main meal?! Two scones and tea nearly €10... I know the hotel cant do anything about the amount of kids but they should have a policy that they are at the least supervised in the bar some child tried to repeatedly kick me in the face, they blocked the lifts I could not get in or out, they even jumped over our buggy with our baby in it, no adults in sight?! What really upset me was when I came back from the pool with my little girl our room had been serviced, I left my handbag and wallet etc in the room along with my rings and other jewellery, our room door was wedged open children from neighbouring rooms were running in and out of our room, and no house keeping staff were anywhere to be seen, I was freaked, I asked kids to leave, closed the door and checked everything I brought this to a managers attention on checkout and I really did not get a satisfactory response, it just was not acceptable and I don't think he understood how upsetting I found this anything could of been taken! I can not see us returning to this hotel, there is much nicer places to stay in Athlone. It is no longer my favourite place to stay and I would not recommend it as I would of in the past.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of the Hodson Bay Hotel. I am terribly disappointed to read your comments. As a team we have discussed this and all here would like to apologise most sincerely for any shortcomings you encountered. Since your stay here the hotel we have taken time to review your concerns and we have addressed many areas. I appreciate we did get the opportunity to speak over the phone and I now feel we will have the occasion to see you again in the Hodson Bay Hotel and it will be great to meet you in person and welcome you back
Kindest Regards
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Returned to the Hodson Bay again with the family to ring in the new year so I'll start my review from the moment I checked in until I checked out. Having stayed here in 2012/2013 we loved it so much the staff were great the hotel was nice the food was nice we decided to book it again for 2013/2014 however when my wife rang some family and friends on New Year's Day 2013 to wish them we'll and was bragging about the great time we had they asked us if we were returning again to get some prices and they would join us so in the end I rebooked 3 family rooms 4 Double rooms total of 14 people in the booking so when I arrived my room was available which was great because I had decided to book a 2 Bedroom family suite this year the rest of the rooms weren't ready yet but infairness we did arrive earlier than the check in time when I tried to pay the girl tried to charge me more than I had an invoice for so when I told her I would settle the bill upon departure when I could get the invoice from my email to clarify that was okay so up to the room we went and wow it was a great room very spacious indeed the beds and pillows were very comfie alike it overlooked the bay had 2 TVs with all the basic tv channels while this was a lovely room I'm not too sure the €100 surcharge to upgrade to the 2 Bedroom Family Suite was justifiable to be honest so anyway got some lunch in the Waterfront Bar and again the standards haven't dropped from the previous year I was here good quality bar food then we all went down to the pool again we all enjoyed it kids had great fun and then we finished up in the pool and brought the kids to the kids club so there was a decent choice for the kids to choose from for dinner and dessert although both my kids said the quality wasn't great which is surprising so off we went to have our evening meal in the restaurant not all the adults on the booking we're eating on New Year's Eve so those of us that did have our meal on New Years Eve were very disappointed with the menu everything on it seemed so posh and fancy don't get me wrong I'm sure it's really nice for people that like fine dining but those that like to be able to understand what they wanted the menu wasn't great so one of our party asked the waitress was there an alternative menu as we didn't think much of the menu to be fair the waitress handled the complaint well and got some feedback as to what we might like and explained what exactly some of the dishes were so we all got sorted in the restaurant and waited for the food to arrive the majority got of us got steak and the waitress advised the type of steak it was the chef recommends it's cooked medium to rare so we were happy to go with that however some of the steaks came out with the blood really dripping out of them which knocked some of the other guests off it was my first time eating a steak cooked that way and yes I did enjoy it others had the pork which they said wasn't great at all dessert was okay but nothing to get excited about. Now the remaining adults on the booking had their evening meal on the evening of New Year's Day and there menu was so much better and a lot more choice, So back to the bar we went to have some drinks while waited for the New Years ball to commence the bar is very tight on space to get any sort of large group in unless you want to sit in the conservatory attached although I found it cold and some what isolated from the rest of the bar it was very very warm in the bar so much so we had to ask for the fire not to be lit and the heating turned down which they did and it seemed to make a difference so off we went into the ball and again it was a good night with complementary champagne to ring in the new year and free platters of hot food after the bells rang in but I must say the platters got smaller this year in comparison to the previous year and the quality wasn't great either but at that stage everyone was drunk and merry and didn't seem to mind. So onto New Year's Day breakfast was very good no complaints at all, kids dropped off to the kids club and back to bed I went for some much needed sleep and came down for lunch which again didn't let us down so there was a heavy sports calendar on New Year's Day with the majority of the sports on BT Sports which the bar don't have a subscription to we we're left watching sky sports news a lot of the customers in the bar were disappointed they couldn't watch the Man Utd Match and were surprised that such a busy bar doesn't have subscription to BT Sports the bar on New Year's Day was lacking atmosphere there was music playing in the background but it seemed to be hit and miss and then it would stop playing for a while then come back on so we had some carvery for dinner at about half 7 and they had run out of some of the joints of meat so I had chicken and the usual veg and mash and again very tasty indeed so now we were subjected to Darts fort the night until the band came on a half 10 and finished up at Midnight the band was okay by no means wedding band material. So on the Thursday again no complaints with breakfast and we checked out and had some lunch and hit the road home then. Would I recommend this hotel to anyone yes I would, would I rebook this hotel again yes I would, will I return again for a third consecutive new year I'm not sure I think maybe after doing it for 2 years in a row and feel that this year wasn't as enjoyable or as busy as last year I think we're going to look around some other hotels to see what other hotels have to offer but One thing must be said for the hotel the staff are a credit to the management.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment. We appreciate that it was made some time ago, however, as part of a revised social media policy we want to ensure that each and every comment is reviewed and that steps have been made to improve our services.

Customer satisfaction is key here at the Hodson Bay Hotel and our repeat customers are a testimony of the high standards we strive to keep. You state that 'One thing must be said for the hotel the staff are a credit to the management'. It was fantastic to read that you found our staff so helpful and accommodating. Positive feedback such as yours boosts staff morale and encourages team performance and enthusiasm, especially in these tough, economic and challenging times. Your kind words will be greatly appreciated.

We do hope that, if you have not already done so, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Hodson Bay Hotel. If you would like to return some time in the near future or for a Christmas Break, I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Belfast
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights over New Year.

The location is fantastic overlooking the lake.

The food was very good having had dinner there one evening and breakfast twice.

On the bar counter there was a couple of bottles of cordial so that you could help yourself. There was also filter water by the bar with glasses. This was a nice touch.

There was complimentary wine and cheese tasting on our first night which was a nice touch.

The leisure facilities are generally good but unfortunately the jacuzzi wasn't warm which does defeat the purpose of having a jacuzzi.

The pillows were rock solid and not comfortable. After the first night I contacted housekeeping to see if they could provide something better. I got speaking to someone called Andres. He said that they don't have anything softer but they have the same pillow only thinner. He said he would bring them to the room. I explained that we were going for a swim but that if he left them in the room that would be great. I couldn't feel any difference in the pillows on the second night. The bed itself was just ok. It could have been better. For a 4 star hotel you would expect a great nights sleep.

The room itself was just ok. It could benefit from being upgraded. There were tea and coffee making facilities. The TV had just two channels with no satellite / free view. There was no safety deposit box which is unusual.

The corridor outside our room was quite noisy on several occasions.

The hotel isn't a spa hotel. It's geared towards families. There were a lot of children running about the hotel when we were there.

When checking out the lady on reception didn't ask if we enjoyed our stay which was unusual.

We paid a lot for our break. We had a good time overall but I definitely wouldn't give this hotel 4 stars. It would be more a 3 star with 4 star prices.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for taking the time and effort to share your views regarding your recent stay in the Hodson Bay Hotel. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your time with us and you found the team to be very friendly and helpful and I am also very happy to see that you found the food to be excellent. It is also encouraging to see that you found our in house activities to be a welcome addition to our facilities. I have noted areas of concern in your review and we will always act on all feed back

Thank you again and should you wish to be included in our Special Offer database please send me your e-mail address to thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com. Thank you again and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Kindest Regards