“Ok for the price we paid”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Dublin, Ireland
“Ok for the price we paid”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed in the Hodson Bay at the weekend on a Living Social Offer...we would of being very disappointed if we had paid normal hotel prices for the weekend. I booked two rooms for myself and my partner and another couple(our friends).our room was fine if not a little outdated but had the basics you would expect and was clean. Our friends did not check in until about 7pm that evening their room was one of the rooms that had being refurbished but it was absolutely freezing when they checked in..we went to the bar for some food thinking on our return that the room would of heated up..but we were wrong the room was still freezing at 12am when we returned..i rang down to reception on my friends behalf as i felt bad after booking and recommending the hotel to my friends..the night porter on the phone could see from reception that their was a problem with the heating in that room he came up to their room and gave them a plug in heater which was not great but they said he was helpful and nice...to make a long story short and after many phone calls and visits to the reception the next day their heating did not get sorted until saturday evening. They were offered no composition or apology for this from reception even though i had informed the male receptionist on duty that it was unacceptable that the room was not warm on my friends check in. The men enjoyed a game of golf on the saturday and said the golf course was good..we went to the spa and enjoyed a lovely massage we also enjoyed the leisure facilities. Breakfast was nice and all the catering staff that looked after us were very nice and professional even though we paid in the restaurant for the extras we received on the saturday evening with our meal they were on our bill again on check out which needs to get sorted as it is quite annoying paying for something and then being charged for it again. All and all we would return to the Hodson Bay but our friends who had the cold room would not .

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. I would like to apologise profusely for any anxiety caused during your stay and I can assure you that this is not a true reflection of the high standards we achieve here on a consistent basis. It was also unfortunate that I did not get to speak to you prior to your departure and perhaps I could have moved your friends to a more suitable room.

Customer satisfaction is very important to us here at the Hodson Bay Hotel and I can assure you that your comments have been taken on board and I have spoken to our Reservations and Reception Managers and they too would like to send their sincere apologies for the shortcomings you received.

You mention in your comment that you went to the Spa and you that 'enjoyed a lovely massage' and that you also 'enjoyed the leisure facilities'. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the high standard facilities we have here at the Hodson Bay Hotel and we have many repeat customers who return to avail of our Spa Breaks.

We do hope that, if you have not already done so, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Hodson Bay Hotel. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Tim Hayes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Polish first
Claregalway, Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Just back from a weekend stay at The Hodson Bay Hotel. We stayed on a LivingSocial Voucher which was a gift and offered exceptional value for money. The room was pretty standard and the TV had all of the standard channels that you would expect. We could not get WIFI in our room though even though it was stated as a feature of the deal. Our corridor (301-358) was full of families so we could hear children running up and down and making noise quite rgeularly which was the only major downside.

Breakfast was great - wonderful selection. During our stay, we ate twice in the bar and once in L-Escale restaurant. We were really happy with portion sizes and came out stuffed after every meal. On one of the occasions, we just wanted toasted sandwiches and wraps and the staff had no problem catering to our exact demands even though there was a carvery on offer. The leisure centre is the best I have experienced although it was mostly filled with children. I had a massage too which was fantastic although we were a little disappointed with The Thermal Suite. Drinks in the bar are a little pricey but I have seen similar prices charged in other hotels in fairness. It was very difficult to get seating in the bar at most times during the day, especially later in the evening.

All in all though we would definitely return if the price was right. All staff that we encountered were lovely.

Room Tip: Ask to be kept away from the lift and family rooms!
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Hodson Bay Hotel. Customer satisfaction is of utmost importance here at the Hodson Bay and your customer feedback aids us in continually improving our customer service.

You mention that all staff that you encountered 'were lovely'. It was lovely to read that you found our staff so professional and courteous. We feel very privileged to have such diligent and hardworking staff as part of the team. I will most definitely pass on your kind words as its comments such as yours that motivates and encourages team performance and enthusiasm, especially in these tough, economic and testing times. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

You mentioned that you ate 'twice in the bar and once in L-Escale restaurant' and that you 'came out stuffed after every meal'. I will pass on your kind words to our chef and his team. Our award winning restaurant L-Escale, is a reflection of the high standards we strive for here and we have many customers who return to eat at our award winning restaurant.

Overall, I am delighted that you have enjoyed you stay with us and I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you back to the Hodson Bay Hotel. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

I treated my husband to a 2 night stay at the hotel. On arrival the girl on reception was lovely, very friendly. We went to our room and got settled in. It was gorgeous, in the retreat section, but we had a room overlooking the staff car park, which was a but disappointing, but it didn't spoil our stay. (For such a large window taking up so much of one wall, we thought the windows were filthy inside and outside).
In the bar that night we decided we'd try the food, so when the waitress came to take our order, my husband (who was starving and who has a large appetite anyway) asked her if the portion sizes were decent, to which she replied "ah they're ok I suppose'. She then proceeded to laugh in his face when he asked if she could find out if the chef could add more chips to make it value for money - we found this not only unprofessional, but embarrassing too, as there was a family at the table right next to us who would have heard everything. As she said she wouldn't ask the chef, we paid for our drinks, thanked her and left - we found a great little Italian in the old part of town who were happy to add extra to the portion at no added cost.
Breakfast both mornings was lovely. Couldn't fault it at all. On our last morning, because we had a 2pm check out, we decided to make the most of the leisure facilities and went swimming after breakfast. We had a lovely time there, and headed back to our room at 12:30. On arrival, we realised our key card had been deactivated, so my husband had to find a way of contacting reception. Thankfully a room down the corridor had been left open by housekeeping, so he rang from there. 10 minutes later someone arrived to let us in, but it was quite embarrassing having to stand in a hotel corridor in your dressing gown for that length of time. On departure at reception, we told the older lady who checked us out about our annoyance and she pretty much laughed at us. What else can you say? We're not the kind of people to make a scene in public, so we didn't say anything else. It was a bit of an anti-climax I suppose. We entered, expecting the wow factor and left, looking forward to the drive home...

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. I would like to apologise profusely for any anxiety caused during your stay and I can assure you that this is not a true reflection of the high standards we achieve here on a consistent basis. If we treated all our guests like this we would not have the privilege to be so busy, however there was an obvious lapse in standards on this occasion.

I would like to apologise profusely for any shortcomings you received while dining with us. I have spoken to the Manager responsible for that area, Ms Julie Brehony and she too would like to send her sincere apologies for any anxiety caused. She will relay your feedback to the team and schedule training with them individually. Your feedback was greatly appreciated.

Customer service is key here at the Hodson Bay. I would like to assure you that there is on-going staff training here to ensure that our guests are treated with utmost courtesy and are accommodate at all times.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Just a word of thanks for all the Staff who looked after us so well at the weekend.
We had a great time and the food was fantastic as were the rooms. The Staff were very helpful and
friendly and the facilities were great. Also good entertainment for both young and old. We will certainly be back
down in the near future. Noel Wearen (Dublin)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Lake view, the sun coming up in the Morning was a beautiful sight!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Hodson Bay Hotel. It was great to see that our standard of customer service throughout the hotel was fantastic and I will make sure to display your kind words in our staff facilities. Its important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and dedication, especially in these tough times.

We feel very privileged to be so busy, especially in these tough and economic times. Customer care and satisfaction is the key to any successful business and we get a lot of repeat and regular guests because of this. We are also central to all parts of Ireland and have a beautiful natural waterside location just outside our door.

You state that you 'will certainly be back' and we here would like to take this opportunity to welcome you back here to the Hodson Bay Hotel. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Went to the Hudson bay after New Years for a relaxing break and like other reviewer was surprised at how busy it was. This is definitely a family orientated hotel. We really enjoyed our stay however our fist night was a disaster and we did have to change rooms. We were put in a room right beside the lift and on a corridor full of family’s with young kids. The first night I hardly got any sleep with the noise outside, the size of the room was also disgraceful. It would be more suited to a linen closet. We are a young couple looking for a relaxing break the receptionist should of used her common sense and put us on a corridor with less kids and not right beside a lift.
I did complain and was moved to a quieter part of the hotel for our second night. I really enjoyed it the spa was excellent and the food in the restaurant was good no complaints. Would go back but if I had to stay in the room I was initially put in my review would be very different.

Room Tip: Do not let them book you into room 109 its a linen closet. You can hear the lift from the bed !!
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. Customer feedback is very important to us here at the Hodson Bay as we are continually trying to improve on customer satisfaction. I would like to apologise profusely for any anxiety caused with your original room. I have spoken to our Reservations and Reception Managers and they too would like to send their sincere apologies for the shortcomings you received. I am happy that this problem was resolved for you and that you enjoyed your second night with us.

I am delighted to hear that you 'really enjoyed the spa'. The Spa here at the Hodson Bay is a relaxing way to spend your stay and we have many repeat customers who come back to avail of our luxurious Spa facilities.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We spent 4 nights over Christmas (23rd - 27th December 2013). There were 18 in our group from grandparents to grandchildren. This was our first time staying in a hotel for Christmas and we were a bit nervous but we had a brilliant time and cannot praise the hotel enough. All the staff were cheerful, helpful and couldn't do enough for you. From housekeeping to front desk they were always pleasant. The rooms were lovely, clean and bright with a very comfortable bed. In the rooms they have tea / coffee facilities, iron and a hairdryer. Our room had a shower in the bath with a good shower curtain that didn't float in on you while you showered. All areas of the hotel were comfortably warm.

The food was very good and fresh. The buffet breakfast had everything you could want - full Irish Breakfast, pancakes, cereals, fruit, pastries. We ate in the restaurant which was also very good. Even though we were a large group the food was freshly cooked and came out promptly. We also had food from the bar which was good quality and quantity. There was filter water by the bar with glasses which you could help yourself to. For Christmas dinner they had the banquet hall set up. They had live music playing but not too loud that you couldn't speak. The food was very good and fresh. It was like it had just come out of the oven. I don't know how they did it when they were cooking for so many people.

We found the pool to be brilliant. It was a nice warm temperature and big enough to accommodate kids playing and adults swimming. They also have really powerful jets (hydrotherapy) which were excellent. They have a lifeguard on duty and he gave us floating devices for the kids (without us asking - that is what the staff in this hotel are like!). They also provide towels and swimming caps.

We would definitely return, maybe next time in the summer so we can take advantage of it's great location by the lake.

Room Tip: The new part of the hotel is quieter
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank luisahamilton
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. It was fantastic to hear that the customer service you received from start to finish was of such a high standard and that all your groups needs were accommodated. I will pass on your kind words to the team as it’s important for staff morale to get recognition for their hard work and dedication.

You mention that you 'found the pool to be brilliant'. I am delighted that you have enjoyed the high standard facilities we have here at the Hodson Bay and that our staff were competent and accommodating. I was really happy to hear that everything else throughout your stay was to the high standard we expect and achieve here on a consistent basis and I will pass on your kind words to the team.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you have since returned to stay with us here at Hodson Bay Hotel. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Reviewed 6 January 2014

This is my third time going to this hotel, went with husband, then went again with friends and this time I tried it out with husband and two young kids. We really enjoyed it. Went the weekend after new years and just before kids went back to school and we were surprised it was so packed, obviously everyone had the same idea. We got a lovely room overlooking the lake, spotless and spacious enough. This time because I had the kids with me we used the kids club. I found this really good, I have a 6 yr old and 1.5 year old and it was great to get some time on our own, my 6 year old loved going to the kids club, this was on in the morning from 10 till 1 and then at night from 6 till 11. He was well looked after, got his dinner with the club and played games and every night they got to watch a film, and then the 1.5 year old was able to go to a supervised baby room from 6.30 till 8.30 so we were able to sit back and relax, have some food and couple of drinks, we really needed a break and this is exactly what we go. In fact, we had only booked for two nights but after the first night we decided to stay an extra night. Leisure facilities very good, didn't get any spa treatments but will definitely go again and try them out. Had a meal one night in restaurant and if you are going to this hotel you definitely have to try the food, it was really really nice. Waiter was lovely, in fact all staff are very friendly and mannerly. Cant say a bad word about this place and I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dublingirl71
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Thank you very much for choosing to stay in the Hodson Bay again, its really important for us to have so many repeat guests and can I thank you for your repeat business and may I also thank you for this wonderful feedback. I am delighted that you had such a pleasant time whilst you and your friends were staying here.

Your positive comments are so welcome and most encouraging. I would like to thank you very much for your kind praise of our hotel and the facilities we offer to all guests, particularly the costumer service as all on the team put a huge amount of time and effort into this on a daily basis. I am delighted that you enjoyed the superb kids camp they certainly are wonderful team of young people working in there.

I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.
Best regards