“Great place to stay”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Stayed here for a midweek work conference and came away very impressed with this hotel. From once I arrived I was greeted at reception by a very helpful and pleasent receptionist who I think her name was Jennie. She asked if I would like to upgrade to a superior room for an extra €6 which I did. Room was fantastic great space, very clean and the bathroom was a nice size with a very nice and warm walk in shower. Only downside was there was a smell of smoke when I walked into the room but that was the only downside. Nice basic facilities in the room such as iron, ironing board, hair dryer, and kettle to make a cup of tea. There is a spa, swimming pool and gym in the hotel but didn't have time to use these facilities. Breakfast was nice with excellent selection of cereals, fruit, and hot breakfast. Staff in the restaurant were warm and friendly. Excellent car park facilities. Overall a short but very pleasent stay and a hotel I would recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
James_Dilleen, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2016

Thank you for a great TripAdvisor review.

Its great that we were able to meet your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel should your travels next bring you to Athlone.

There are newer reviews for Hodson Bay Hotel

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We were lucky enough to have received a stay at the Hodson Bay as a gift, and we were so lucky to have done so. Every member of staff we encountered ensured our stay was perfect. The manager Pavel went out of his way to ensure everything was perfect for us and our three sons, and he could not have done enough for us. The restaurant was lovely, and the French waiter who minded us ensured that our 18 month old was entertained at every meal and we were able to relax and enjoy the food, which was perfect. Even on checkout the receptionist ensured it went smoothly and took time to talk to us. Couldn't recommend the hotel highly enough. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: If a large family, the suites are great
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for a great TripAdvisor review.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed in this hotel in August 2013 and gave it a good review. On returning to Ireland for a family get together in Birr, we had no hesitatioin in booking into the Hodson Bay. I suspected that the previous visit was too good BUT how wrong I was. From arrival at the hotel to leaving after 4 night break, the staff were so so pleasant. The food in the carvery and for breakfast was excellent. The cold buffet for breakfast was beautifully presented. Thanks for making our break so good. Looking forward to another visit. And this time we had a room with a view of Lough Ree. Great sight when the sun rose!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
James_Dilleen, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2016

Dear WalthamCrossGooner,

Thank you for your kind TripAdvisor review. Its great that you had a memorable experience as a result of your stay with us . I will be sure to pass on your review to the team here.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel should your travels next bring you to Athlone.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

When we decided to book a girly weekend away, Athlone was the town of choice due to the counties we were travelling from. From the moment we rang the hotel to book the room to the moment we checked out we could have no complaints about the quality of customer care & attention to detail we received. The hotel staff were exception & understood some of the needs that we required. We had requested a room with plenty of space for a person who required a walker due to mobility issues, they gave us a family suite with ample space.
When we went to the bar on the Friday night & asked the staff about gluten free food, we were given an ample array of food that was on offer that suited.
The breakfast staff on both mornings catered to our needs & seated us appropriately. The lifeguard on duty on the Saturday was brilliant & assisted in helping one of us from the pool, to the changing rooms.
Again on the Saturday night the food in the restaurant was exceptionally good value for money at €35 for a three course meal (which was included in our weekend package).
For a hotel that was really busy that weekend with a dinner dance on the Friday night as well as a wedding party staying in the hotel the night before the wedding with a wedding and conference on, on the Saturday, the staff were fantastic. We did not see one single member of staff in a bad mood & it was amazing to see them floating around the hotel, knowing exactly what they needed to be doing.
This is a hotel I would absolutely & categorically recommend to anyone from a couple, a family or a group of friends looking for a great weekend or mid-week break.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel and the staff will assist you in the best room that may suit your needs
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear MAMAHER,

Thank you for your kind TripAdvisor review. Its great that you had a memorable stay with us. I will be sure to pass on your review to the team here.

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed overnight with my two daughters and we had a wonderful time. The swimming pool and leisure centre are top class - large pool with separate children's pool. We then went for dinner and chose the bar food menu. I have to say that the steak is top class ! All of the food was really top class and the staff were very polite and professional. A lovely comfortable family room looking onto the lake.. Breakfast is super.. Great choice if hot and cold items and again really friendly staff. Looking forward to another night in Hodson Bay soon and I certainly do recommend to all.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Titch2203

Dear Titch2203,

Thank you for your kind TripAdvisor review. Its great that you had great experience both in the Leisure Centre and the Bar. We pride ourselves on our food and our service.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We got a gift from a friend for a weekend in the Hodson Bay. The hotel is lovely, the bar food and restaurant were extremely nice, however our room was on the top floor and it was freezing. We kept ringing reception and someone came up however the heat went on and off when it felt like it. I didn't think I would have to sit in my hotel bedroom with my coat on as it was so cold. I booked to have my nails down in the spa, however when I arrived I was told there was a mistake and it would take too long so that I couldn't get that either. There was also a problem with payment in there was a computer glitch and although my friend had paid, they were trying to use our card as well although I must say the Manager was quite nice with my husband and did offer another night stay at our convenience although I don't think I would go back

Room Tip: Do not pick a room on the top floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joyce C
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Came back again to this hotel. It exceeded expectations. As usual kids camp very good. The food was out of this world and my diet was put on hold! All the staff are genuinely happy to do anything to make your stay better. Will be returning again hopefully soon.

Room Tip: Room 277, huge quiet family room over looking the lake.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear spacey3,

Thank you for your kind TripAdvisor review. Its great that you had a memorable stay with us and that we were able to exceed your expectations again. I will be sure to pass on your review to the team here, especially the kids camp staff.

Kind Regards