“Mid Summer break”

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
“Mid Summer break”
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Lovely friendly staff. Gorgeous food. Fabulous gym and Leisure facilities BUT very average room. Not 4 star..no wifi..no tv3..no sky..no soaps aw...expensive in bar. 5.15 a bit much for a pint of bud..bed v uncomfortable. .very warm room.but on the whole enjoyed it and definitely return

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Polish first
dundalk
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My wife and I have stayed in this excellent hotel on three occasions, and have always chosen to dine in L'ascala restaurant where the food and service has been of the highest standard. We particularly enjoyed the lake view from our very comfortable and well appointed bedroom. We hope to make another visit very soon.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms spectacular!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mauricedundalk
James_Dilleen, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2016
Dear mauricedundalk,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit at The Hodson Bay Hotel.

I would like to thank you and your wife for choosing The Hodson Bay Hotel time and time again. We feel very privileged to have repeat and loyal guests like yourself.

Should you decide to return to stay with us again i would love the opportunity to meet with you in person and thank you for your kind words and custom.

Navan, Ireland
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

2nd time staying here. Cant fault it, service was fantastic. Rooms spotless and could not ask more from the service received. Well worth a weekend away, very relaxing with brilliant leisure centre. We have stayed in the Hodson and its sister hotel The Galway Bay, but there is no comparison Hodson wins hands down.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Potzerelli
James_Dilleen, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2016
Dear Potzerelli,

Thank you for a great TripAdvisor review.

It makes what we do here in the hotel more worthwhile we are glad that you had such an enjoyable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel should your travels next bring you to Athlone.

James Dilleen.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I spent 2 days here with some friends for a wedding recently. Overall I enjoyed my time here.
The hotel is situated on a lakeside surrounded by a golf course - it is a very nice setting.
It is located approx. 5 mins by car/taxi from Athlone town centre.

It is very much a family friendly hotel with a lot of children.
The food & drink in the bar/carvery is very nice but a little over-priced.
Similar to Dublin prices, not what you would expect in Athlone.

I think the service needs a lot of improvement.
There are a huge number of staff at the hotel that look 'busy' but no-body is serving customers.
Management need to provide some clear direction and a more structured approach to managing bar & restaurant staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank roderv
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Myself and my family have been stopping in to the Hodson Bay for lunch now for a few years as we travel regularly through Athlone and its our usual lunch spot. We were always pleased with the lunch menu and the food but recently over the last few months, the menu and the food and the service has gone down hill. Yesterday I queued for almost 10minutes while the staff cleaned underneath the bainmarie at peak lunchhour. After getting one meal there were no chips to accompany my husbands meal so I had to leave with my meal which was going cold and eat it while we waited on his. When I had finished eating I returned to the counter and ordered his meal again as there was no sign of it coming to our table. I had also gotten a baby bowel for my 2year old. Never again, the veg was so hard my son couldn't even chew it. The veg and in particular the carrots were drowned in salt, as was the gravy. This is very much a family friendly hotel but the menu and food for children needs a serious upgrade. Also there was no stuffing go accompany the turkey dish, who has turkey without stuffing! For the size of the portions and at a price of €28 this is a total dissappointment. Unfortunately this will be the last time we stop off in the Hodson for a while.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Caroline D
James_Dilleen, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2016
Dear Caroline D,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Waterfront Café here in the hotel.

Please accept our apologies for the shortcomings you experienced. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations for lunch on this occasion. We have taken the necessary steps to ensure a repeat of what you have outlined in your review does not reoccur.

We appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that you would use the hotel again when next visiting the area.

On a personal note, thank you for your feedback; it helps us to constantly improve our hotel product and services.

Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Myself and my wife spent 2 nights in this hotel. It was our first time to stay and hopefully it will be the first of many. The location is terrific with a beautiful view of Lough Ree. All of the staff there were extremely friendly and helpful. The bedroom?bathroom was spotless and very nicely furnished. The lake view from the bedroom was lovely.

On our first evening we ate in the restaurant which is spotless and beautifully decorated. The menu was quite varied and the service provided was excellent. Food was cooked to perfection and was delicious. On our 2nd evening we tried the bar food and again, neither of us could fault the food. Helpings were generous and the food was perfect. Breakfast on both mornings was also without fault and there's a huge variety of food to choose!

We would recommend this hotel to everyone!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JoeMcNally,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor about our Hotel.

I must say it comes as a pleasure to hear that you and your wife had a very enjoyable stay here at the Hodson Bay Hotel.

Finally, I would like to say we would be honoured to see you back at the hotel in the future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would like to meet with you all in person and thank you sincerely for your valued custom and your feedback.

Best Regards

Ireland
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Had the pleasure of staying in this hotel for one night and I have say the disabled room was top class.

I have traveled the world and stayed in many hotels but the bathroom in my room was top class and brilliantly thought out.

It was the BEST disabled bathroom I have ever seen - top marks.

The rest of the hotel was excellent and the food and staff were amazing and I would stay here for the rest of my life if that was possible.

If I had one gripe is that they should put the instructions for the Air Conditioning in the Guest Information Book in each room. I could not turn it on at night when it was too warm and I had to open the windows to get fresh air.

Take a bow Hodson Bay Hotel, you get my vote as the finest hotel I have ever stayed in since I was wheelchair bound.

Room Tip: Room 644 is the best room in the hotel. Great view of the lake
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Petersirish,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor.

It comes as a great pleasure to hear that we accommodated all your needs and that you had such a memorable experience. I will ensure to pass on your wonderful comments about our Team here at the Hodson Bay Hotel, Spa and Leisure.

Once again I was delighted to read that we exceeded all your expectations on this occasion and if you do wish to stay with us again please do not hesitate to contact myself as I would love the opportunity to meet with you in person and thank you for your great review and custom.