“Outstanding, friendly staff and very clean. The best weekend ever.”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
ireland
“Outstanding, friendly staff and very clean. The best weekend ever.”
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from spending the weekend at the lovely Hodson Bay. This was our second time to stay in this hotel and it will not be the last.
Our room was no 644 and the view was just amazing. We had a view of the entire lake as the room is on the 5th floor. The room was bright, very clean and as for the bathroom the shower was very spacious and in the corner was a jacuzzi. The bed was so comfortable. We woke to an amazing and breathing view every morning, and to make it even more enjoyable we had breakfast delivered for only €7.50 per morning and it is so worth it.
Both my husband and I used the indoor swimming pool. It was so relaxing. The bubble pool and the hydrotherapy area is a must they are both so relaxing in every was. It's a 20 meter pool. My husband used the steam room and said it was very good. You are supplied with towels all you need is €1 for your locker.
We had a beautiful meal in the L'Escale Restaurant, this is a top class service restaurant from the moment you arrive until you leave. The food was just outstanding.
The only fault I had was in the car area where food is served, we ordered the food and drinks together, but we were served the food first before our drinks. This bar is great if you only need a sandwich but my husband ordered fist and chips for €16 he was very disappointed in what he got as it was so not worth it.
Overall the staff are very friendly, the hotel very clean and bright.
We would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank washing
James_Dilleen, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2016
Dear washing,
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor about our Hotel.

I must say it comes as a pleasure to hear that you and your husband had a very enjoyable stay here at the Hodson Bay Hotel.

Finally, I would like to say we would be honoured to see you back at the hotel in the future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would like to meet with you all in person and thank you sincerely for your valued custom and your feedback.

Best Regards,
James Dilleen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
  • Polish first
Galway
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Agreed to accept room in old part of hotel based on a promise from reception that our room would be completely refurnished. What a joke, a sad effort at papering over the cracks. The room stank off paint, was small and had no ventilation in the bathroom. Food was cold and staff did not seemed surprised or bothered by our complaint. Typical Irish service at an Irish price

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Seawarrior1
ireland
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Have stayed in Athlone for the last 4 years on business and decided to try a different hotel than usual. Big Mistake. Checked in and had to make not one, not two but three visits back to reception as the key did not work. In the end it was established that the reception had keyed in the wrong room number on the room card system, she laughed as she told her colleague this and barely apologised to me. No one offered to help with my bags even on the third trip back to the room ! When I did finally gain entry to the room how disappointed I was. First thing to notice is a musty moldy smell. I opened the window to let in some fresh air. It would have been nice if staff had already opened the window considering it was the hottest day of the year! Then I noticed the dirt of the room. Thick layer of dust and a sticky carpet which needed a good hoovering. I returned to reception ( a different lady this time who was slightly more professional). I explained the problems with my room. I was immediately given a new room in the new part of the hotel but no apology ! I got the impression that staff are very familiar with quests requesting different rooms. The new room was larger and cleaner. The aircon was of no use in the 27 deg heat. The breakfast next morning was the best part of the hotel although the hot section was not very nice. A very bad first impression of this hotel and I would not return and could definitely not recommend it.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here go with a room in the new building.
4 Thank cath32
James_Dilleen, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2016
Dear cath32,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Hodson Bay Hotel from your last stay with us.

Please accept our apologies for the shortcomings you experienced. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We have taken the necessary steps to ensure a repeat of what you have outlined in your review does not reoccur.

We appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that you would use the hotel again when next visiting the area.

On a personal note, thank you for your feedback; it helps us to constantly improve our hotel product and services.

Kind Regards

dublin
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed the day. Your staff were excellent and a credit to the hotel. You are expert at putting on a very large function. Everything was perfect.

Our friend has exacting standards and you fulfilled them.
From the moment of arrival your staff were courteous, helpful and friendly. The canapés, etc, were perfect. The waiting staff for the meal were very professional, efficient, helpful and friendly. The food was delivered hot, all together and very professional ease. The food was delicious, sufficient, seconds were offered, and the those with larger appetites enjoyed that, special requests were catered for with grace - a thoroughly enjoyable meal. A special mention was made of the kitchen staff in the speech and the entire room was in total agreement, as far as I could see.

Congratulations on making our friends' special day such a success. We couldn't stay as had an appointment this morning, otherwise we would have been delighted to stay. I have stayed for a weekend previously and had a lovely time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank mohDublin
Dear mohDublin,

Thank you very much for your great TripAdvisor review. We are in fact delighted here that you had such a great experience in The Hodson Bay Hotel for your friends celebrations.

We work very hard here to promote our large functions offering and pride ourselves on our food and service. The staff here are a key element in how we run our hotel and comments such as yours are well received. They will be thrilled to hear a review like this. I will aslo ensure to pass on your kind words especially to Chef Gavin and his Team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hodson Bay Hotel in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We held an event in the Hodson Bay Hotel this month and I have to say the location, setting and service were excellent. The weather was fabulous and there was a great buzz around the hotel with people swimming and out on the water. I found the service excellent, and all the staff were very friendly and accommodating. I couldn't rate it higher and will definitely be back again.

1 Thank karenoneill55
Dear karenoneill55,

Thank you for a great TripAdvisor review.

It makes what we do here in the hotel more worthwhile we are glad that you had such an enjoyable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel should your travels next bring you to Athlone.

James Dilleen.

Stafford
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This hotel was very busy when we arrived with families. The room was very large and clean and quiet and had great views over the lake. We got a good rate with a 20 euro discount off a meal, but this had to be in the luxury restaurant.We had a complimentary cocktail which was nice. We had a meal in the bar area. the food was ok, pretty standard pub food, my curry was nothing special. Staff were very attentive but it can be annoying to be asked three times if the food is ok. I went to reception to ask for extra milk, it annoys me that they don't have a stock of milk at reception. They told me it would be delivered to our room. Two hours later it still hadn't come. There was UHT in the room which is a particular hate of mine. Breakfast was very good with an excellent choice. We wanted to go for a swim but didn't have swimming caps, we were told that we could buy them but they only had one disposable hat so the cost would be 8 Euros for two caps. We have been in some much more expensive hotels where we did not have to have swimming caps. Overall the hotel was good value and the breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

A very impressive hotel. Not only is this hotel in a stunning location (the nicer weather helped!) but the hotel itself is one of the best Ive stayed in in Ireland and further afar.

When i checked in i was given a room in the older part of the building that to be honest wasn't great. The view was all of the extraction pumps of the roof of the kitchen accompanied by the noise! Being a hot day the idea of listening to that drone with the open window didn't really appeal to me. I spoke to reception and they cheerfully agreed to move me without hesitation. Cannot fault their attitude or their ability to put things right.

The new room (number 613) was exceptional. Modern, with air con and very comfortable. Shame there was no WiFi but there was a cable for the laptop if i wanted it. Room service was swift.

I ate in the Bar area in the evening and the service was great. Staff were very keen to ensure that we were comfortable and had everything we needed. The food was very good, with a good selection on the menu. The restaurant menu looked a bit 'samey' as other restaurants but im sure the food was good in there also.

The breakfast experience kept with the experiences of everything else in the hotel. Great selection of foods and attentive staff.

In summery. Are there nicer looking hotels? Yes. Are there hotels with a higher standard of rooms? Yes. Are there hotels with better restaurants? Yes. Even with that, i would still choose to stay here again. The place has such a pleasant atmosphere and i actually commented to my wife on the phone that Ive never relaxed so quickly. You cant put a price on that, and as someone that travels the globe for work there is no higher praise.

Room Tip: If you can get a room in the 'new' building, not sure of the price difference but its worth...
1 Thank Stuart D
Dear Stuart D,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. It's great that you had such a memorable experience with us.

Reviews like this give me great pleasure in sharing such feedback with our entire team in the hotel, from the rooms to the dining experiences in the Restaurant and Breakfast.
It makes what we do all the more worthwhile and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the departments who you have mentioned.

I have to say that your summary has made us here at the Hodson bay Hotel fell like we have exceeded all your expectations and this fills me with great delight.