“lovely stay”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed here for a wedding end of May. Great service. Lovely food. Had a great night. Room was nice nothing fancy though no complaints there. Breakfast was lovely. Would stay again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank k f

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed at the Hodson Bay last weekend for one night and was really disappointed. Having been here last year to view for my friends wedding venue ( which she has since booked for June next year!) I was really looking forward to staying here. Obviously the grounds are pretty and the view of the bay is lovely but the hotel is very dated- we even paid extra for a room in the newer part of the hotel... not worth it unless they give you the bay view!!

Our air con wasn't working, I phoned and asked them to send someone up, someone came up and said because the electricity went it was temporally gone and would come back. It didn't. the room was so hot and stuffy all night!

The food in the restaurant wasn't great, menu nothing exciting and atmosphere- zero. Breakfast was fine, nothing special either.
Overall our trip to The Hodson Bay hotel was a bit blah. Nothing to write home about and wouldn't be back in a hurry.

Room Tip: If paying extra for a room in the newer part of the hotel- ask for a bay view room!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Allyk10
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Booked a night away with my wife and got an overnight package that included B&B, cocktail on arrival, and dinner in restaurant. Positives: the best part of this hotel is the lovely setting overlooking the Bay (but more benches needed in garden for the visitors to sit with a drink and enjoy the stunning view). Negatives: Check in was slow - more frustrating by virtue of the fact that there seemed to be a staff member free but she judiciously avoided eye contact. The hotel is quite dated, would benefit from more contemporary decor. Our room smelled of smoke, the reception promptly moved us to another (bigger) room which was fine, but again a bit "old school" in terms of decor. The cocktail on arrival was a house cocktail served from a jug...tasted fine but it all seems a bit "budget". The dinner in L'escale was memorable for the wrong reasons: (1) we were shown to a table in the middle of the floor but asked instead for a table by the window. The waiter (who I think was in charge) said the table needed to be cleared and that it would be a little while but we said we were happy to wait and sat with the menu (we felt he seemed a bit put out). He came back in 5 mins to say the table was ready and more or less pointed to our table - he didn't take us to the table or offer to take our drinks, menus, jackets - just left us to wander a little awkwardly to the table he had pointed out. (2) the food - my wife ordered "pan fried prawns" but they were actually deep fried prawns! She returned them and got a rather uninteresting caesar salad instead. Mains - my wife had fish and it was fine, nothing special. I had a steak - fine, nothing special plus a supplement to pay. Dessert - we don't like sweet dessert so asked if they could make a cheese board although not on the menu. They said they only had goat's cheese and blue cheese so we declined. However, the waitress returned and said they had found some more cheese and came with a nice selection of cheeses which we appreciated (and the consequently sold us two glasses of wine so it was worth the effort!). Wine - they didn't have the chardonnay we had selected with our dinner so we had to select another which was more expensive (all wines were a bit pricey). Really, this experience is not good enough in this day and age. People are price-conscious and will resent paying a lot for poor accommodation, poor food and poor service. This hotel did not deliver on any of the 3 main ingredients for a good stay: service, accommodation and food. By definition, it was therefore also poor value. Won't be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I've stayed here on 5 or 6 occasions in the last number of years and have always found the hotel to be a a lovely setting.

My latest visit was a business trip last week. I received a fantastic room in the newer part of the hotel. The room was very spacious and had a fantastic view of the lake. The bed was very comfortable and ensuite bathroom clean and tidy with a lovely walk in shower as well as a bath. I really cannot fault the room.

The hotel also has a great leisure centre and pool which I have used many times in the past. After a long day of work I had been looking forward to an evening swim but unfortunately didn't get to have one. When I arrived at the pool i noticed that almost the whole pool was sectioned off and being used for a training session of some kind and swimming in the tiny section that remained in an already small pool wasn't really an option.

I dropped the swimming gear back to the room and decided instead to go to the bar for a bite to eat. I paid at the bar and sat down to a lovely meal. You can imagine my surprise then to come back to my seat after a trip to the gents to a bill for €75.00 on my table! The mistake was quickly cleared up though.

Breakfast the following morning involved a hot and cold buffet and there was a decent selection in both. Tea, coffee and toast were not available at the buffet however and by the time they were offered, breakfast had already been eaten it was time to leave.

All that said, I would stay there again and would hope that these few slip-ups were just a "one-off".

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Four friends and myself went for an overnight, a night away from kids, it was so relaxing. My room was lovely. It was a lovely relaxing stay, went to spa very good, food lovely and breakfast was all fresh and loads of variety. What I thought was great was the hotel was divided in two for families and people with no children great idea. Would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Butterfly186605
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from spending the weekend at the lovely Hodson Bay. This was our second time to stay in this hotel and it will not be the last.
Our room was no 644 and the view was just amazing. We had a view of the entire lake as the room is on the 5th floor. The room was bright, very clean and as for the bathroom the shower was very spacious and in the corner was a jacuzzi. The bed was so comfortable. We woke to an amazing and breathing view every morning, and to make it even more enjoyable we had breakfast delivered for only €7.50 per morning and it is so worth it.
Both my husband and I used the indoor swimming pool. It was so relaxing. The bubble pool and the hydrotherapy area is a must they are both so relaxing in every was. It's a 20 meter pool. My husband used the steam room and said it was very good. You are supplied with towels all you need is €1 for your locker.
We had a beautiful meal in the L'Escale Restaurant, this is a top class service restaurant from the moment you arrive until you leave. The food was just outstanding.
The only fault I had was in the car area where food is served, we ordered the food and drinks together, but we were served the food first before our drinks. This bar is great if you only need a sandwich but my husband ordered fist and chips for €16 he was very disappointed in what he got as it was so not worth it.
Overall the staff are very friendly, the hotel very clean and bright.
We would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank washing
James_Dilleen, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2016

Dear washing,
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor about our Hotel.

I must say it comes as a pleasure to hear that you and your husband had a very enjoyable stay here at the Hodson Bay Hotel.

Finally, I would like to say we would be honoured to see you back at the hotel in the future. If you do decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would like to meet with you all in person and thank you sincerely for your valued custom and your feedback.

Best Regards,
James Dilleen

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Agreed to accept room in old part of hotel based on a promise from reception that our room would be completely refurnished. What a joke, a sad effort at papering over the cracks. The room stank off paint, was small and had no ventilation in the bathroom. Food was cold and staff did not seemed surprised or bothered by our complaint. Typical Irish service at an Irish price

• Stayed: June 2014