“Very disappointing”

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Just returned from a 3 night break in the Hodson bay hotel and I won't be returning. The rooms are tired and the bathrooms are in need of improvement. We stayed in the main hotel as we had our daughter with us so I can't comment on the retreat part of the hotel. We ate in the bar area but had to wait nearly 30 mins before we got the attention of any waiting staff and nearly the same time again before we received our food. Kids played in the corridors until 11pm which I appreciate is not the hotels fault but not relaxing for guests trying to get a baby to sleep. Breakfast was very busy and felt like a canteen rather then a hotel breakfast room. When we returned to our room that afternoon housekeeping had left Dirty coffee cups and had to phone for fresh ones. Just not what you expect from a supposedly 4 star hotel. Overall not the relaxing break we looked for and I think you will get better hotels in the area.

3 Thank Jacksje
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Jacksje,

Thank you very much for reflecting on your time spent in the Hodson Bay Hotel. I am very disappointed to hear your expectations were not met and I apologize profusely for any anxiety caused. We are genuinely and continuously devoted to our customers and to their satisfaction with the hospitality and services we offer. Your unfortunate experience, I assure you, is the exception rather than the norm.
Should you wish to return, please contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com. I would be happy to personally oversee your stay, ensuring that a future impression of our hotel is significantly improved.

Tim Hayes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
  • Polish first
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

If you are looking for the perfect wedding venue in Ireland - look no further because the Hodson Bay Hotel is the place to be! After our fabulous wedding weekend, we didn't want to leave the hotel! All the hotel staff including wedding coordinator Lisa Wykes were beyond amazing from start to finish, nothing was too much bother and they made sure our wedding day was everything we dreamed of and much much more. Lisa was so helpful in terms of recommending florists, beauty salons and wedding entertainment etc etc and generally made it her priority to make sure everything was just right for us. I honestly can't describe how wonderful everyone was. Looking back, planning our wedding was such a joy and a very pleasurable experience. The majority of our guests travelled from England and everyone commented on what a wonderful place it is and how all the staff were so welcoming, hospitable and friendly - just what we wanted to hear. In fact, some of our wedding guests have said they can't wait to return to the Hodson Bay! The food was first class, the wedding packages were definitely great value for money and we were treated like royalty - we were just blown away with it all. The rooms were great, the hotel facilities were fabulous and the general atmosphere was always very pleasant. A huge huge thank you to all the staff at the Hodson Bay for what we can only describe as a truly perfect day. XX

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Rochelle C
Dear Rochelle C,

Thank you for writing this review. Here at the Hodson Bay Hotel we are aware of the importance of a wedding day and in particular how momentous it is in both the bride and grooms life. We engage ourselves with the highest care and attention in order to make this day unforgettable for bride and groom, but also for all your invited guests.
I am delighted that you, your family and friends had a nice and enjoyable stay on your wedding day. I will pass your kind words to our wedding coordinator Lisa Wykes, as she will be happy to hear her efforts were fruitful.
Looking forward to greet you again here at the Hodson Bay Hotel, so please do not hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com.

Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Have stayed at the Hodson on three occasions since October 2013. Qualify for the over 50's packages and comparing like with like elsewhere are excellent value. Reasons for returning - staff very friendly and very professional - consistently so on all three visits. Rooms clean and beds very comfortable. Breakfast and food in the dining room excellent and service very good. The Hodson is a busy hotel - but I have been there on school holiday dates when there are lots of children around - but have been impressed with how they cater for all - my mother is in her 80's and loves the presence of all ages at the Hodson - the buzz of life that is around the place - and the attentiveness of the staff to her needs - well done the Hodson!

7 Thank Limerickglin
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Limerickglin,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write the review. Your opinion is highly valuable for all of us here at the Hodson Bay Hotel. We believe that high rate of returning and regular guests is the confirmation that our efforts are recognised and appreciated. I really share in your positive outlook in life and welcome your optimism.
The mix of our clientele depends on the season and we are glad that our guests feel the vibrant atmosphere all year round.
It will be my pleasure to meet you during your next visit, so please don’t hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Went on a break to Hudson Bay hotel in Athlone co Weastmeath in July 2014 we were greeted with a smile great start. Rooms were fab, very comfortable beds,. Food fab the only problem is I eat to much. Grounds of hotel are beautiful will be back again the first chance I get. it gets 5 stars from me well done to all staff.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Josephine349
Dear Josephine349,

Thank you for your commendable review. We greet all our guests cordially and with highest respect regarding their wishes and preferences. I am delighted to hear you experienced our hospitality, tasted our food and enjoyed your stay in our facilities.
When you return, hopefully in near future, I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com.

Dungloe, Ireland
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Lovely hotel, needs some TLC and some money spent on the actual property. For people with younger children some attractions need to be added for young children. I would not recommend for teenagers, and I would recommend that couples who do not wish to be listening to toddlers belonging to others be careful about their booking schedule. Food is excellent, hotel is understaffed in my opinion, especially in the mornings. Staff very kind, agreeable and helpful. For the pricing structure, someone needs to start investing some money so guests will return.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with lakeview, nice and tranquil.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank MichelleBonner
Dear MichelleBonner,

I highly appreciate you taking time to review our Hotel. I sincerely apologise for any anxiety caused and I can certainly affirm that this is not a veracious presentation of the state of our facilities. We are continuously and thoroughly taking care of all our premises, menu offer and customers’ needs. Also, as I explained in previous responses, July and August are favourable months for family holidays and, of course, that reflects on the overall hotel ambiance.
Furthermore, we are very pleased you praised our hotel in general, especially the food and the kindness of our staff. If you wish to return in the near future, please don’t hesitate to contact me on thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com.

hotelgirl32
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Location very good although parking can be tricky, the rooms are a little dated especially the bathrooms in the main hotel.. Full of kids running around corridors late at night not ideal !!!! Food good although breakfast can be awfully busy but the food is good.. The outside if the hotel needs to be cleaned up and as many people have said before the windows could do with a good clean! Didn't go tonight leisure centre so can't comment on that. Overall ok not terrible but just lacks that little something special and it's very very busy..

3 Thank hotelgirl32
Limerick
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Went here for two nights for my birthday, staff were friendly and helpful and managed to put up with is even tho we were so loud and stuck to the bar. Rooms were nice , however I was supposed to have a lake view but instead I had a view of another building and a roof but that didnt really bother me. Food was fantastic! breakfast was glorious couldn't fault it! Had a deep tissue massage on my last day to top it all off and it was amazing. The only bad thing about the hotel is it's quite a family orientated hotel so there is lots of children! We went down to the pool 4 or 5 times but didn't go in because there was too many screaming children messing around, the only reason that annoyed us was on the website it boasts a relaxing thermal pool kind of experience! Other than that thumbs up !

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Red130
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Red130,

Thank you for your comment. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you carry nice memories of spending your birthday here with us at the Hodson Bay Hotel.
You mention in your comment that we have 'friendly and helpful' staff. Also thank you for your compliments on food and our Spa treatments. It is great to hear that the standards of customer service throughout the hotel are satisfying customers’ expectations. I will make sure to display your kind words in our staff facilities.
You mentioned in you comment that the view from your room wasn’t the best one. I am sorry we didn’t get the opportunity to make amends during your stay. I apologise profusely for this.
If you would like to return some time in the near future, maybe out of summer holiday season when the mix of our clientele is different, I would be happy to arrange your stay, so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com.

Hodson Bay Hotel