“excellent hotel”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
ulster
“excellent hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

stayed in this hotel for the august bank holiday weekend . it was a most enjoyable stay . The staff are very friendly and helpful . we have two small children and the hotel was very suited to their needs .

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. We appreciate that it was made some time ago, however, as part of a revised social media policy we want to ensure that each and every comment is reviewed. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you have since returned to make many more happy memories at Hodson Bay Hotel. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Tim Hayes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Polish first
Limerick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

My husband and I stayed in the Hodson Bay for a weekend away in July and enjoyed it so much we can't wait to go back. Everything from the accommodation to the view of the lake to the food was fantastic. Above all the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff really added to our stay. We have stayed at quite a few hotels around the country and this would definitely rate amongst the best.

Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

We booked a romantice weekend for two and it was very enjoyable. Extremely busy so there was a bit of a queue to check in. There was a couple of weddings on at the time. Ordered a ham salad sandwich to be delivered to the room at 10:30pm but all it consisted of was ham and lettuce. A bit disappointing there. Nevertheless, ordered the breakfast to be delivered to the room each morning and it was delivered on the button. Not a minute late either day. The room was very comfortable with floor to ceiling windows. Was told that we would be looking over the bay but we could only see a bit from our window and that was if you pressed your cheek against the glass and a good look to the corner of your eye. Dinner in the restaurant was absolutely fabulous. Could not falter a thing there. Especially the desserts! Mmmmmm! Overall, it was really lovely.

Meath
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2009

We stayed in the Retreat section of the Hodson Bay Hotel which is a long walk from the Reception. Our booking was for a room with a view of the lake. We did have a view of the lake if we walked right up to the window, craned our necks to the left and squinted through the filthy panes of glass. Otherwise we had a grandstand view of a roof. The bedroom was OK but we have had a lot better for less money. I dread to think what the rooms in the main hotel were like. The breakfast was edible but that is all. However the food in the Waterfront Bar was very good. Parking is a real problem at this hotel despite being out of town.
The pool and spa are very good but you will have to book weeks in advance if you want a choice of services in the Spa. Having said that the Spa is very good and is good value for money.
Overall this is a fairly soulless and unfriendly hotel and certainly does not live up to it’s hype and the hotel is not worth the money. We are unlikely to return.

2 Thank Lumbfoot
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. We appreciate that it was made some time ago, however, as part of a revised social media policy we want to ensure that each and every comment is reviewed and that steps have been made to improve our services. In the interim we have made vast changes to our facilities and are continually seeking to improve on our customer satisfaction. We do hope that, if you have not already done so, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Hodson Bay Hotel to see these changes for yourself. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

My partner and I decided to celebrate an anniversary by going away for a weekend and we chose the Hodson Bay Hotel.

We arrived in the hotel on Friday afternoon and checked in. We had booked a superior lakeview room as when I made the booking, we were offered a complimentary upgrade to it. When we were getting our room, we requested a smoking room and we were told none of the Superior rooms where smoking we would be downgraded. This didnt bother us at the time of check in. (They did reduce the rate when they did this so was it a free upgrade or just a line used at reservations?) We were planning to do a few things so we did not go upto the room straight away. Later that evening when we did we were really surprised. The room was small. There were damp stains on the ceiling, cracking in the wall and the centre of the ceiling, and for toiletires a squeeze bottlee attached to a wall to use. The bed was really comfortable though.
We got ready and were planning to have some bar food and a few drinks that evening. We asked a dark haired girl with a walkie talkie about the menu and she said she would ask the chef. After 20 minutes, she did not come back to us (We did see her serving other guests) so we just went with something. The food was good. Although they doid have a girl clearing tables and she did clear my plate away before my partner was finished.

There was a wedding on that night and the noise did filter up to the room. It wasnt that bad and we did manager to sleep.

Breakfast the next Morning was really good. We also used the Leisure Centre and enjoyed that two.

We went to book the restaurant that afternoon (It was included in our package) and when we tried to book the only time they would give us was 9:15. Reception did not bother to say that booking was essential to get the time you want. We took the time, arrived at 9:10 but still did not get seated for another 1/2 hour. We ordered but it did take most of an hour to get to the main course. The food in the restaurant was also really good. We had a few drinks in the bar, service there was also really good.

When we were checking out, we did say about the room to reception, she didnt really seem to care so I left it at that. I wish I had taken photos of the room to post on here as I know the hotel would never publish any of the room I had (220)

When I say I have had better rooms in budget chain hotels I am not overstating it and how this hotel can hold a 4 star standard is beyond me. They also have very limited parking and I had to park near a caravan site and walk up to the hotel.

I definately will not be staying there again.

1 Thank Jimwood

limerick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2009

We booked a weekend away from Friday to Sunday and hoped that the Weather would be as good as it was recently, it was better, we arrived to the hotel at 3.00pm on friday and had a very smooth check in, Thanks Jay, Straight to the Swimming pool for me and my son, Jeremy you were a pleasure to deal with and a great sence of humor. my wife had 2 treatments in the spa and loved it so a big thank you to Emer and her team, one thing i must mention is that i have always felt that if my son was happy on a weekend away then we are happy and our son was very very happy the Kids Camp is top class, We dined in the hotel restaurant twice and on both occasions we were more than happy, as it was my wife's birthday on the second night she had Lobster and in her words it was to die for, Thank you Michael and your team as you made us feel very welcome on both nights, i had a few pints in the bar and David Keogh made my family and i feel like locals as opposed to just another family down for the weekend. finally io have to say that while the country is full of doom and gloom this is a hotel that ticks all the right boxes for a family stay and while a lot of my friends are taking trips abroad my family and i feel that there is no need to go any further than the Hodson Bay Hotel in Athlone and thats why we have booked a 4 day package in July and we cant wait !

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2009

We stayed here fo three nights in April - meant to post our review much earlier.

Overall we had a really lovely stay and would reccommend it. Staff were very friendly and informative. We were there for a family get together and generally to unwind.
Our rooms were very clean and comfortable, well maintained - we were in the new wing of the hotel and had a lovely view from our rooms.
We were there mon to thurs, the hotel was busy but can imagine its pretty hectic on weekends.
The food and service for breakfast was very good. The hotel bar had a lovely laid back atmosphere, the carvery food was ok and resonably priced. We did not eat in the a la carte restaurants but they did look lovely.
We used the fab hotel pool which was incredibly relaxing as it was not too busy at the time. It also has good facilaties - spa, gym, leisure centre etc.
The hotel has amazing grounds to walk which top off the end to a geat day.

Marvellous hotel - will go back. Keep up the good work

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family