“Cosy, warm, homely, magical experience.”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 7 January 2010

My family and I went to this beautiful hotel for Christmas and we were apprehensive about spending christmas away from home but there was no need. The kids seemed to think they were in the north pole... Big christmas trees, carols playing, mulled wine and mince pie reception, when Santa arrived Christmas day I thought they might explode, he had presents for all the kids staying there. The food was a cullinary delight over the three days that we stayed and the children were well catered for.There was a band playing in the ballroom where we enjoyed christmas dinner and it just had everyone in the festive mood.The staff were so helpful and friendly even though they were working for christmas. I was most impressed with this hotel and how they celebrated christmas. I even got to use the Spa on christmas eve which was a rare treat and again I highly recommend it. A big thank you to all the staff for our special experience.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. We appreciate that it was made some time ago, however, as part of a revised social media policy we want to ensure that each and every comment is reviewed. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you have since returned to make many more happy memories at Hodson Bay Hotel. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

There are newer reviews for Hodson Bay Hotel

Reviewed 4 January 2010

My wife and 3 young kids took some time out of our busy lifestlye to spend Christmas in Hodson Bay. My wife works in the public sector and I work in the hospitality industry and we decided to spend this Christmas away from home.
We were abit nervous bringing the kids away from home as they are aged between 3 and 6 but we never looked back.
We arrived on Christmas eve for our 3 day break. We were greeted with open arms and friendly smiles from all the staff.
The hotel has geat facilities for kids. They have a kids camp which is great where the kids meet new friends and place lots of games. They have computer games and pool tables for the kids.
We dinned in the restaurant on 2 nights, the food was tip top, truly tasty.
There was a great buzz around and the bar had great live music every night.( The beer & wino also very good!!)
My wife paid a visit to the spa and she was still talking about it on the way home, she is planning a girly trip away in the next couple of months just to go back.
The Leisuse Centre is state of the art, a really modern and spacious place. Great views out over the lake.
Overall our stay was flawless and we are already planning our next trip back.
Hopefully before next Christmas.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank inthebussiness

Reviewed 3 January 2010

we stayed here for a family wedding & it was just fantastic from start to finish ! Staff are so friendly & helpful . The room was amazing with beautiful views over Lough Ree & huge jacuzzi bath . The furnishings & fittings were beautiful & the bed was the most comfortable bed ever ! Food at both the wedding & the restaurant was top class & could not be faulted in any way . The spa is such an asset to your hotel & the therapists are lovely ! The only same thing is I couldnt get food to the room after 9pm ! I would have eaten anything & you could have charged whatever you want at 4am in the morning !
Overall this was a great stay in a really good hotel & will definately be back !! Thanks once again to all management & staff for a faboulous stay

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 December 2009

Stayed here with the folks for christmas in order to be close to my sister who just moved to the area with her young family. I paid 860 euro for 2 nights in a twin room. This is a 2 star hotel charging 5 prices. In the room there was a dodgy sink where the water came out at 100 miles per hour. The pressure in the shower was non existent and the food was what you would expect in a staff canteen.

Christmas dinner was just unbelievable, they put us in a large hall with a naff show band playing throughout the entire dinner. We asked to be moved to the restaurant where we would have a chance of hearing each other over "my my my delilia" but they said it was closed and told us we would just have to put up with it. I have never ever stayed in such a poor hotel and it would have been a rip off at 100 euro per night.

Oh yeah, there's no mini bar or free water in the room, so if you are unfortunate enough to stay here make sure you buy bottled water as there is no real room service to speak of.

• Stayed: December 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. We appreciate that it was made some time ago, however, as part of a revised social media policy we want to ensure that each and every comment is reviewed and that steps have been made to improve our services. In the interim we have made vast changes to our facilities and are continually seeking to improve on our customer satisfaction. We do hope that, if you have not already done so, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Hodson Bay Hotel to see these changes for yourself. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Reviewed 10 December 2009

a gang of friends visited in the hodson bay recently to attend their Abba Christmas party. the hotel is beautifully located, on the shores of Lough Ree. Bedrooms had fab views over the water and Athlone Golf Course - which is right next door. For a Christmas party, the food was excellent and i heard really good reports about the restaurant in general. the pool and spa looked fab - again the pool had views out over the water. the hotel is idylically located with a friendly welcoming atmosphere - i would definately go back again.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 November 2009

We headed to Athlone for a quiet, restful weekend, which we advised the hotel was what we were seeking. I was advised to upgrade my room to the newer part of the hotel, which I did. The room itself was very nice, but it did have an adjoining door, which meant we had to put up with next door's television late into the night.
The main problem, however, in this hotel, is that it caters for large groups ie weddings and conferences. We stayed Friday and Sat nights, and there was one wedding on Friday and two on Saturday, and a conference running on both days as well. It was teeming with people and we had problems finding a car parking space when we arrived. The menu at the carvery was limited and basic, and we found it difficult to find a table
at which to eat our food.
Finally at 275 euro for a a couple staying for 2 nights, with breakfast, it was expensive.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 November 2009

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for the second time in October. Just want to say when you are booking - go for the Hodson Retreat rooms. They are SOO much nicer than the ordinary rooms and for those that are interested there are no children as residents in the retreat rooms, which makes things lovely and quiet....
The Spa here is excellent and meals are very good. The only small criticism would be - when i was booking the girl in reservations told me we were being "upgraded" to a room on the penthouse floor with a lake view. When we arrived we had a room on the penthouse floor alright but no view of the lake in fact we were looking out over some sort of out buildings and over that to part of the golf course. We didnt spend much time looking out the window - but we were disappointed all the same. I rang reception to make the point that the room was not what we had been offered when we booked but were told there was no other room available at that time but they would get back to us - they never did... Otherwise everything else was enjoyable and we had a nice stay here.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple