“Easter break”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Just returned from three nights at the Hudson Bay Hotel - we stayed in a family room, two adults and two children. The room was located in the old part of the hotel; it was absolutely tiny - ordinary double room with one extra single bed and a camp bed. The room was also very dated and basic.
We ate in the restaurant every night - food was good, not superb! One thing that annoyed me slightly was all the woodwork in the 'front of house and restaurant' was being painted - Easter week?? Showed a considerable lack of planning.
Leisure centre was very nice, children really enjoyed it. Overall it was a pleasant stay, but as a family that likes our weekend breaks, there are better family hotels out there with decent size family rooms.
I would find it difficult to recommend this hotel to a friend looking for a family break - but two adults looking for a quiet weekend away, staying in the new part of the hotel, yes I probably would recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
HodBay, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2010

Dear Guest

It is disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your stay in the Hodson Bay Hotel. It is unfortunate that we did not speak before your departure to discuss your concerns. I would hope that some day you will afford us the opportunity to make amends for your regrettable experience. If you should decide to return I would be delighted if you would let us know, so I could make the necessary arrangements to ensure your stay is a most enjoyable one.

Timothy Hayes

Write a ReviewReviews (2,228)

Reviewed 9 March 2010

Stayed in the Hodson Bay Recently,had a wonderful time.Recetionist gave us a beautiful room on the retreat side of the hotel.Spent the afternoon relaxing in their swimming pool

.Had an enjoyable meal in their dining room,found the food fabulous and our waitress very friendly. Couldn't believe how busy it was.

Unfortunately couldn't get into the spa,told was booked out.will book next time.Looking foward to going back in the summer

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
HodBay, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2010

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to put forward such positive feedback. I use feedback such as yours to help and encourage the team to perform consistently. It would have been a pleasure to have met with you before your departure so I could have the opportunity to thank you in person for your kind words. If you ever have the occasion to return, please make us aware so I can personally meet and welcome you back.

Reviewed 8 March 2010

went to hudson bay for reunion of adopted russian childern, stayed for ond night, service in restaurant was ok, there was a party of ten adults and five childerine under the age of four, we had booked the tables earlier so they new before hand that children would be joining us, they seted us at the very back of the restaurant, witch was fine because we did not want to disturb anyone cosy night out, but the staff complained about the kids all evining they had us all on egde the childern are all quite good considering the ages,the staff went around all night making faces at each other and at the kids, every time we looked at them they had there eyes uo to heaven , never felt so unwelcome in a hotel before. it could only happen in ireland, been to lots of hotels all over europe they love familys and go out of there way to welcome them. we will never stay in this hotel again, when we did check out they tried to over charge us by €82 never again

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank peggy048
HodBay, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2010

Reviewed 4 March 2010

Returned to the Hodosn Bay Hotel again. What can I say except that it was just delightful. We again stayed in the Retreat Section of the hotel and it was fabulous just like before.

From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty except for the gentlemen that checked us in was very unprofessional in my mind. He kept pon saying how he admired my girlfriends handbag. I thought this was very unusual and a bit strange.

We again dined in the hotel restaurant on both nights and had a truly wonderful time. The presentation of the food was first class and it was nice to see that we were served by the same staff as before. The Manager William and the waitress Sinead were both very friendly and welcoming.

Breakfast on oneof the mornings was in our room and we woke up to a delightful site as w had a full frontal view of the bay area. It was perfect. te nextmorning we dined in the restaurant and we had a great selection t choose from.

We also use the spa and were welcomed by Emer who treated us liek royalty from teh moment we entered the spa until we left. our treatments were devine and we both enjoyed them.

All I can say is that we will definetly be returning to this hotel and can't wait to do so.

Reviewed 17 February 2010

Myself and my husband stayed here for my birthday/valentines weekend! It was gorgeous!! We stayed in the suite on the retreat side all i can say is wow!!!! We had a gorgeous view of the bay from our room, it was stunning waking up Saturday morning to the sun shining on the water! We went to the spa on Saturday and Sunday! Saturday- we both got a hot stone massage and wow!!!! it was gorgeous! Went to our own private hot tub and we were served champagne, strawberries and melted chocolate devine!! The girls in the spa are so nice! well done girls for having such a nice relaxing spa with very nice staff!!
We were supposed to have a champagne breakfast on Sunday morning but as my husband was driving us home on Sunday we asked if we could have it Saturday morning instead, the guy at reception/ restaurant manger( i think) said "NO, the wedding asked for champagne at the last minute" It was one bottle in a hotel that size! I'm sure there was one hanging around the place somewhere! He could have delt with it a little better instead of being so rude! The girl at reception sorted it and we got our champagne! I know it sounds so petty it was just the response that threw us wasn't expecting it at all just as we checked in!! He was just having a bad day we understand that but no need to snap at paying guests.
The Bar staff were amazing, so friendly and chatty, making us cocktails and just being nice! And the food was gorgeous!!
We had a fantastic weekend the retreat side of the hotel is just amazing! If your staying here splash out and go for the suite, but make sure its on the retreat side. Its all bran new!
We had a very romantic weekend and would defo recommend it!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. We appreciate that it was made some time ago, however, as part of a revised social media policy we want to ensure that each and every comment is reviewed. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you have since returned to make many more happy memories at Hodson Bay Hotel. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Reviewed 16 February 2010

This ia a very very basic hotel. You may as well stay in a B&B. Now i was here for a wedding and because i was family i got the room at a good price, €59 per person sharing. But the room is only worth €50 a night and no more, not €118. Very basic. Free internet is a major plus though. The staff are fantastic and the food is really nice. But the best way to describe this hotel is to simply say ' it lacked that special touch'. I like a hotel to have a 'touch' about it and things here were just basic basic basic. If the prices came down (a lot) to match the basic style then yeah i would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. We appreciate that it was made some time ago, however, as part of a revised social media policy we want to ensure that each and every comment is reviewed and that steps have been made to improve our services. In the interim we have made vast changes to our facilities and are continually seeking to improve on our customer satisfaction. We do hope that, if you have not already done so, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Hodson Bay Hotel to see these changes for yourself. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Reviewed 5 February 2010

just back from a 2 day B&B (+1D) at the Hodson Bay. We made u our minds at the last minute to book a late deal, and indeed we did ok at €129 pp. We were upgraded to a rom in the new part of the hotel.Room was great. Everything was looking like we had landed on our feet. Headed into the "Fine Dining Restaurant" on the first night which was part of the deal (€44 pp three course tbh menu), a little steep I thouht to myself, but hey were on a break. I had copped the "AA Rosette" award plates on the way in the door, and was really looking forward to a good meal. On a scale of 1-10, it rated a 3. This was not rosetted food, or the chef was either off or had left. Anyway, the staff were friendly, an when we were finally asked if we enjoyed our meal, it was nearly an hour later in the bar. The girl behind the bar was a professional and clearly knew her job, and indeed was appalled that we did not enjoy the food. In the end we put it down to "picked the wrong day to eat" The following morning we headed down for breakfast.....I really could not believe it. Pretty much inedible. On check out. it was ok ok ok i will pass it on. CHEERS