“Great Stay - Excellent for Families”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Co Meath, Ireland
“Great Stay - Excellent for Families”
Reviewed 15 April 2010

Having recently returned from The Hodson Bay, I felt compelled to state my experience of the trip. I travelled with my husband and 2 small children over the Easter weekend. Overall it was a fantastic stay. The kids were really well catered for with a kiddies club running each morning and evening. Both my husband and I enjoyed the restaurant facilities whilst the kids were given their evening meal with their new friends in the club. The food in the main restaurant was really top quality. We tried the carvery food on the second evening, which I must admit was disappointing but then again it was bound to a letdown compared to the restaurant food. The pool facilities were also very welcoming from the children. It’s the first hotel I’ve visited in Ireland which completely understood and catered to the needs to families with small children. We found the stay truly relaxing and enjoyable. In fact, we wanted to extend our stay but unfortunately work commitments prevented us from doing so. We will definitely return as soon as possible!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
HodBay, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2010
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to put forward such positive feedback. I use feedback such as yours to help and encourage the team to perform consistently. It would have been a pleasure to have met with you before your departure so I could have the opportunity to thank you in person for your kind words. If you ever have the occasion to return, please make us aware so I can personally meet and welcome you back.

Timothy Hayes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Polish first
Ireland
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We just had our wedding at this venue 20th Mar, and had the most amazing time. The management and staff are so friendly and helpfull. We ate in the restaurant on the Friday and Sunday nights and the food and service were fab. The day of the wedding the food was just as good. Everything was run with presicion timming. The older rooms in the hotel were fine but on the two occasions we stayed we we're in the retreat side of the hotel. These rooms are lovely and have great views of the lake. All in all a great hotel for a luxury break, a break with the kids ( they have a kids club ) and one of the best venues in the country for a wedding.

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to put forward such positive feedback. I use feedback such as yours to help and encourage the team to perform consistently. I am delighted that we could be a part of your special day. I look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel for many years to come.

Omagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2010

Friendly staff, kids club, brilliant restaurant, lovely swimming pool and relaxing spa - what more can you ask for! We had a great time as did our children aged 12, 11, 5 and 3 yrs.
The breakfast is extensive and superb, the kids club staff are really friendly and have a genuine affection for children, the restaurant has excellent food and friendly staff , I could go on and on. We had a great stay and the children loved it and want to return!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family

Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2010

We stayed there for one night. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, nothing was too much trouble.
The food and service were 1st class.
The rooms were clean with very comfortable beds.
Lovely setting, the sun on the Shannon when we looked out of the window in the morning was breathtaking
Unfortunately we didn't have time to use the pool etc. will definately be going back for a longer stay.

Waterford
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Just returned from three nights at the Hudson Bay Hotel - we stayed in a family room, two adults and two children. The room was located in the old part of the hotel; it was absolutely tiny - ordinary double room with one extra single bed and a camp bed. The room was also very dated and basic.
We ate in the restaurant every night - food was good, not superb! One thing that annoyed me slightly was all the woodwork in the 'front of house and restaurant' was being painted - Easter week?? Showed a considerable lack of planning.
Leisure centre was very nice, children really enjoyed it. Overall it was a pleasant stay, but as a family that likes our weekend breaks, there are better family hotels out there with decent size family rooms.
I would find it difficult to recommend this hotel to a friend looking for a family break - but two adults looking for a quiet weekend away, staying in the new part of the hotel, yes I probably would recommend it.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Dear Guest

It is disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your stay in the Hodson Bay Hotel. It is unfortunate that we did not speak before your departure to discuss your concerns. I would hope that some day you will afford us the opportunity to make amends for your regrettable experience. If you should decide to return I would be delighted if you would let us know, so I could make the necessary arrangements to ensure your stay is a most enjoyable one.

Ireland
Reviewed 9 March 2010

Stayed in the Hodson Bay Recently,had a wonderful time.Recetionist gave us a beautiful room on the retreat side of the hotel.Spent the afternoon relaxing in their swimming pool

.Had an enjoyable meal in their dining room,found the food fabulous and our waitress very friendly. Couldn't believe how busy it was.

Unfortunately couldn't get into the spa,told was booked out.will book next time.Looking foward to going back in the summer

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
HodBay, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2010

dublin
Reviewed 8 March 2010

went to hudson bay for reunion of adopted russian childern, stayed for ond night, service in restaurant was ok, there was a party of ten adults and five childerine under the age of four, we had booked the tables earlier so they new before hand that children would be joining us, they seted us at the very back of the restaurant, witch was fine because we did not want to disturb anyone cosy night out, but the staff complained about the kids all evining they had us all on egde the childern are all quite good considering the ages,the staff went around all night making faces at each other and at the kids, every time we looked at them they had there eyes uo to heaven , never felt so unwelcome in a hotel before. it could only happen in ireland, been to lots of hotels all over europe they love familys and go out of there way to welcome them. we will never stay in this hotel again, when we did check out they tried to over charge us by €82 never again

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank peggy048
HodBay, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2010