“Perfect Weekend getaway”
Review of Hodson Bay Hotel

Hodson Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Last weekend we stayed in the Hodson Bay Hotel,It was arranged by my fiancee as a surprise for me-a welcome one as it turned out.We arrived on Friday evening an had dinner in the main restaurant,the food was fantastic ,the staff were very friendly and helpful,I was booked in for a deep tissue massage on Saturday morning before breakfast,I emerged extremely relaxed and refreshed,After a breakfast fit for royalty we strolled around the grounds and out by the lake-where we took a boat cruise of the lake,we returned in the afternoon and I went to the bar to have a few drinks while my fiancee had a facial before dinner,we returned to the bar after the meal as there was a band playing which rounded off the evening nicely.We left shortly after breakfast on Sunday as I had a game that afternoon but we're already booked in for the next bank holiday weekend and are bringing some friends along to experiance a great relaxing weekend for themselves!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
HodBay, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2010

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to put forward such positive feedback. It was great that both you and your fiancee had the opportunity to experience so many of the facilities the hotel has to offer. I am delighted that you had such a good stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you both back. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in organising your return visit with your friends.

Timothy Hayes

Write a ReviewReviews (2,228)

Reviewed 12 August 2010

Just returned from a couple of days stay at that Hodson Bay Hotel had a wonderful time. The hotel is beautifully situated on the lake. There are two sections to the hotel, we stayed in the older section with the kids in an interconnecting room which was wonderful for the kids (and us!!). The rooms were prefectly adequate, clean and well serviced throughout the stay. The kids loved the kids camp and excellent pool.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and the dinner in the restaurant was superb, kids ate in the camp which freed my husband and I to have dinner at ease. All in all a wonderful stay and I am looking forward to returning soon

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Dear Guest

It is always very encouraging for the management and staff at the hotel to read such positive comments. Our aim at the hotel is to ensure that each guest that visits the hotel, whether it be for one night or a family break, has the opportunity to experience all the facilities that we have to offer, and leaves the hotel looking forward to a return visit. I am delighted that you had such a good stay with us and I look forward to welcoming both you and your family back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2010

I'm not normally a person for writing reviews however my stay recently in the Hodson Bay Hotel was so fantastic that I felt that it deserves the effort. I went away with a few friends for a two night break. From the minute we checked in we were made feel very special, the staff were friendly and made us feel like their family. We had dinner on both evenings in the restaurant and the food was gorgeous, great variety on the menu, accompanied by some very nice wine. We each had a treatment in the spa, all I can say about that is that is was out of this world. We had breakfast at leisure each morning and again the variety and quality was superb. The most impressive thing i must say about the hotel is the staff, there friendliness and professionalism was second to none. I will definitely be returning to the Hodson Bay Hotel, in fact I'm in the process of organising a family reunion and now i have found the ideal location to hold it. Thanks to all the staff for a wonderful time.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

It was delightful to read such heartful comments, and we truly appreciate such positive feedback. At the hotel we are priviliged to have exceptional staff, many of whom have been with us for a number of years, and they take great pride in the standard of service offered to our guests. I am delighted that both you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us. Please make us aware when you wish to hold your family reunion, as we would love to help in any way we can and I would be delighted to meet and welcome you upon your return to the the hotel.

Reviewed 11 August 2010

A group of old college mates decided to meet up and we wanted to go somewhere central with lots to do. Hodson Bay it was.
So what can I say ... words can’t describe my stay and how special we were made feel.
I’m not going to lie the Hotel was busy and had a wedding coming in. There was a lot of excitement around the main lobby and outside.
We were checked in with little delay and we were shown to our room. We had some adjoining rooms and we were all pretty close which was great. There was fruit in our room and a letter and flowers form one of the ladies who could not make the trip.
Our rooms were bright and fresh . . . . . however if you are going to have a few “7ups” the night before be sure to close the curtains before you hit the hay, as we had one or two (bottles) of wine in the bar chatting about old time. Good atmosphere, there was table service also which was brill.
We had Spa treatment booked for the Saturday, we made sure to arrive early and had lots of time in the thermal area. I’m a Spa lover and I had high expectations for it and it live up to each and more. My therapist was amazing I think Joslan was her name. What a way to finish your treatment and experience by undisturbed views overlooking the water. Amazing.
I would advise to book early for dinner, as time get booked pretty fast especially for peak times. We eat about 6.30 which suited and headed for Athlone.
Sean’s bar is def worth a look. It is “the oldest” bar in Ireland. It had a good mix between locals and strangers. Trad music playing and the bar staff were great. ( or was it just because it was a group of 8 ladies)
Headed back to the Hotel and even the taxi guy spoke highly about the venue.
I cannot recommend this Hotel enough and the Wedding crew seemed to have good craic but not interfere with the other people in the hotel too much.
There was a kids club also and they were out playing in the front so next time I might bring my 2 devils with me.
Breakfast is a must try.. the array of fruit, cereals and yogurts had me spoilt for choice.
Even though we only stayed for 2 nights I was more relaxed than a week in the sun!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for such upbeat and positive feedback. Both you and your group seemed to have really enjoyed your time at the hotel and you also got to experience some of the charm which Athlone has to offer. We are fortunate to have been quite busy over the summer period, and this can be quite challenging to manage as we have such a broad range of guests. Thankfully we are in a position to be able to facilitate each guests needs whether its a family holiday, group night away or a short romantic getaway. I am delighted that both you and your group had such an enjoyable stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you all back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2010

Second time to stay in this hotel. Possibly even better than the first. Room was excellent with great views of lough ree. Food and staff great, as before. They have introduced a bar food menu since our last stay, which suited us perfectly. The swimming pool is very modern and a great way to relax before breakfast.
Only negative would be live music, there was music at the weekend, but not much midweek. Lots to do around Athlone though, and it's not too far. There was a festival on in the town the week we stayed also.
Hodson Bay and Athlone are highly recommended and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Its always great to see guest coming back to the hotel time and time again. We have many guest that have been coming to the hotel for years, which of course is very rewarding for management and staff alike and it really encourages us to keep doing a good job. Mid week in the hotel we run various activites for guests, which include Wine Tasting, Spa Talks, Bingo and may more, and it is unfortunate that this information was not relayed to you. Please make us aware when you are returning to the hotel as I would be delighted to meet and welcome you back.

Reviewed 9 August 2010

To be fair Reception Staff were very very nice - On arrival the minute I walked in the door I knew the place was grubby but with 3 small kids and was arriving late in the evening after driving 3 hours was not kicking up a fuss..
Arrived to our bedroom - really musty smell - place felt like it needed a good clean.. Room was very spacious - beds very soft and uncomfortable
Reason we stayed was because of Kids Club - were never told at any Stage that it cost €15 per night for the Kiddies Club - found that out on check out which I thought was cheeky - I have never had to pay for this in any hotel before. Have to say any of the staff that we dealt with in the Restaurant both evening meal and Breakfast were very nice and dressed very well - The place would have been very nice when it opened up but my god the old part of the hotel leads a lot to be desired..The new part of the hotel is really nice so if you are staying here make sure to insist on staying in the new part..

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. We appreciate that it was made some time ago, however, as part of a revised social media policy we want to ensure that each and every comment is reviewed and that steps have been made to improve our services. In the interim we have made vast changes to our facilities and are continually seeking to improve on our customer satisfaction. We do hope that, if you have not already done so, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Hodson Bay Hotel to see these changes for yourself. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Kind Regards,

Tim Hayes

Reviewed 6 August 2010

Spent 4 nights here recently, staff were friendly, hotel lovely and food was terrific.
Great kids club to keep my 3 young ones entertained and feed when we went to the restaurant and had a fantastic meal.
Leisure facilities were excellent and there were plently of things to do both at the hotel and nearby to keep parents and kids happy. Only small complaint was the rooms were too warm and I found it difficult to sleep

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Dear Guest

It was wonderful to read that there were many positive aspects to your stay, and I would like to thank your for your comments. At the hotel we use feedback such as yours to look at ways to improve the service and experience that your guests receive when they stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.