Hodson Bay Hotel
US$189
US$171
Orbitz.com
Athlone Springs Hotel(Athlone)(Great Value!)
US$133
US$119
US$164
Creggan Court(Athlone)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$100
  • Restaurant
The Grand Hotel(Moate)(Great Value!)
US$108
Cooneys Hotel(Ballymahon)
US$171
2,266 results
All reviewskids clubl'escale restaurantretreat sectionretreat roomwine tastingleisure centreolder partnew wingthermal suitelake viewfamily breakbusy hotelbar foodtop classmain restaurantlovely hotelgolf course
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 August 2010

We booked this hotel for mid-term break in February for 2 nights b&b and one dinner, for 2 adults and 2 children 5 and 3 years old,unfortunately we didnt get to stay the second night or have dinner in the restaurant as 3 year old got sick and we had to leave on the second day.

This hotel has two parts to it an old part and new bedrooms where the spa is located, we were put into the old part as this is where the family rooms are, the room was quite small and housekeeping was poor with dust and cobwebs around the room, however bed linen and bathroom were spotless.

We used the swimming pool which was fantastic and loved by both us and children.
The kids club for our five year old was exceptional and the staff who run it are very professional, this was the highlight for our 5 year old who was very upset we had to leave early on the second day and leave the kids club.

On our first evening we had food in the bar which I have to say was very poor, it was a carvery that ran all day, and the food certainly looked and tasted like it had been there all day. We really didnt enjoy the bar as it was over busy with no quiet area to have a coffee or drink , so we went out to the lobby area. The hotel could really do with a bar area to have just a drink or coffee/sandwich as the bar with the carvery was chaotic. The staff in the carvery were not as friendly or as efficient as the other staff in the hotel, it was almost like being in another hotel when you entered the bar, so this was the biggest negative for us.

The breakfast was exceptional the next morning with a fabulous selection of cold and hot buffet food, and the staff here were very efficient and friendly.

Unfortunately, we didnt get to eat dinner in the restaurant as we had to leave at 6pm on our second evening. The reception staff were very understanding when we had to leave early and even offered to ring a doctor for our little one, we were not charged for the second night even though we checked out at 6pm.

Although this hotel has a few issues we would like to return as our 5 year old still hasnt stopped talking about the kids club and from other reviews we would like to try out the restaurant for a meal , I think next time we will book 2 rooms connecting as well as the family room was too small for the four of us.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
HodBay, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2010

Dear Guest

We appreciate that there were many positive aspects to your stay, and I would like to thank you for your comments. At the hotel we are always looking at ways to improve the service and experience that our guests receive when they stay with us, and we have found your feedback to be informative. Perhaps you might drop me a line to thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com to discuss your feedback in greater detail. I was delighted to read that you would return to the hotel and should this occur I would be greatful if you make us aware, so I could make the necessary arrangements to ensure your stay is a most enjoyable one.

Reviewed 22 August 2010

Was at a wedding party. Nice room in the retreat. Nice grounds. Good food and helpful staff. Though when up for breakfast, it was like being in a packed tube train. Breakfast quality was good with excellent choice.
On the downside, some of the foreign national staff are rude and not helpful.
Also, the outside could do with a clean, the white PVC windows and frames are full of cobwebs and flys and the fieces of insets.
In this recession and hotel climate, more needs to addressed.

• Stayed: August 2010
Timothy_Hayes, General Manager at Hodson Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment. We appreciate that it was made some time ago, however, as part of a revised social media policy we want to ensure that each and every comment is reviewed and that steps have been made to improve our services. In the interim we have made vast changes to our facilities and are continually seeking to improve on our customer satisfaction. We do hope that, if you have not already done so, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Hodson Bay Hotel to see these changes for yourself. If you would like to return some time in the near future I would be happy to arrange your stay so please don't hesitate to contact me at thayes@hodsonbayhotel.com

Kind Regards,

Tim Hayes

Reviewed 17 August 2010

What a stay. We had our son's wedding there in june 2010 and as I say "Flawless". the whole staff could not have done anymore to make our stay ( 5 days) one to remember. Beides having great memories of the wedding day I must say the Hotel had a huge part in making it so memorable. The attention given to all involved and the perfection all through the day makes it a day to remember. I could not state how highly I rate the Hotel and staff.
The Bar staff , the Restaurant staff , the staff doing the rooms - all friendly and very helpful.
I cannot wait for our next stay.I promise you , you will not be dissapponited staying here.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to put forward such positive feedback. It was delightful to read that both you and your famly had such a "Flawless" experience in the hotel. We use feedback such as yours to help and encourage the team to perform consistently. I would expecially like to thank you for your kind comments about our facilities and more so the comments regarding our staff. I will certainly circulate your kind words around the hotel and place a copy of your review in our staff facilities. If you ever have the occasion to return, please make us aware so I can personally meet and welcome you back.

Reviewed 16 August 2010

I had the pleasure of staying here on business last year and I cannot reccommend the place highly enough. I stayed in the newer part of the hotel and it was great. Also dined both nights in the restaurant, the menu was pretty comprehensive with some unusual additions. The staff were very helpful and I enjoyed my time there immensely.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business

Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to put forward such positive feedback. We use feedback such as yours to help and encourage the team to perform consistently. It would have been a pleasure to have met with you before your departure we we could have had the opportunity to thank you in person for your kind words. If you ever have the occasion to return, please make us aware so I can personally meet and welcome you back.

Reviewed 13 August 2010

Stayed overnight in old part of hotel. Had previously stayed in newer part and while the rooms there are of a higher standard, the view was definitely better in the old part! I'm not sure if it is possible to book a room with a view in the old part though! Room was fine, bed was comfortable staff were friendly, spa and leisure centre were great. Breakfast was very busy, but staff were efficient. Will order breakfast to the room next time so I can enjoy the Lake view! Didn't have kids with us, but there were lots of kids around and all they seemed to be having a great time and there seemed to be lots for them to do.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

It was wonderful to read that there were many positive aspects to your stay and I would also like to thank you for your comments. At the hotel we use feedback such as yours to look at ways to improve the service and experience that our guest receive when they stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future and hopefully you will bring your children next time.